HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » I like this President A L...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 10:52 AM

I like this President A LOT, but

THIS is the one thing about him that I don't like.

As many note, too willing to concede to republicans on budgetary issues.

* SS and Medicare should not be part of this discussion. It flat out has little to do with the current "crisis." The Rs are ALWAYS looking to attack them, and all this does is open them up to their attacks.

* It also, sadly provides them cover to do it. IF they want to cut SS or Medicare, make them man up and say specifically what cuts they going to do and OWN THEM. WTF this President will allow them to get the cuts in a manner in which they don't own them is mind boggling. FURTHER, and tragically, it will be DEMOCRATS who do the heavy lifting. Boehner won't bring anywhere near even half his caucus to vote for this "deal." It will be most of th Ds and just enough Rs to pass it. Same in the Senate, the Ds will do the heavy lifting with as few Rs signing on as possible.

* SO, they get the cuts they want AND they get to BOTH scream that they did not vote for it because it did not go far enough AND jump on the heads of the President and Ds for voting for cuts.

* EVEN FURTHER, it further eliminates the focused and appropriate discussion on how to alter the programs for solvency moving forward.

* It is fricken simple, seriously. Let the tax cuts expire and force the House to sign on to a bill brought by the Senate to return the rates for the 98%. Nothing they can do about it.

* Let the sequestration the morons came up with kick in and if they want something different they can bring it to his desk.

* Again, they might be all butt hurt if he did this, but we know, for a fact, an undeniable it WILL happen reality, they are going to be total jackasses even if he makes the deal. They are going to be intransigent, over the top morons either way.

* Not sure how the debt ceiling thing is part of this, but if it is a handshake ... Jesus.

* Either way, the same principle remains. It should NOT be part of these discussions. Let it come, let them be jackasses while you say, unequivocally, there will be NO negotiations on the debt ceiling being raised for the crape YOU MORONS voted for.

* It all will be ugly, it all will be brutal. But, it is the RIGHT THING. At some point you gotta just draw the line and lay it out. Further, the republicans will NOT stop being jackasses until they really get their arses handed to them by the public. They HAVE to have their lunacy play out and face the consequences for it.

* Codifying them will NOT result in any good faith partnership. He can cave to them completely here and they will MAYBE do one thing with him, MAYBE do immigration reform because in their wild eyed political power grabbing minds they need to do it to con hispanics out of their votes. They MIGHT get past themselves to do it. MAYBE. But, beyond that, this House will do NOTHING, absolutely JACK for the next two years other than passing red meat BS on gay marriage and abortion and trying to impeach this President when they aren't jumping on his head for whatever topic is hot at the moment.

I like Barrack Obama A LOT in a lot of ways.

But, he is just flat wrong with this process.

16 replies, 1572 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 16 replies Author Time Post
Reply I like this President A LOT, but (Original post)
Cosmocat Dec 2012 OP
rso Dec 2012 #1
darkangel218 Dec 2012 #2
Cosmocat Dec 2012 #9
democrattotheend Dec 2012 #16
Myrina Dec 2012 #3
MjolnirTime Dec 2012 #5
zipplewrath Dec 2012 #6
Cosmocat Dec 2012 #8
MjolnirTime Dec 2012 #4
Cosmocat Dec 2012 #7
LukeFL Dec 2012 #10
RomneyLies Dec 2012 #11
lunatica Dec 2012 #12
Cosmocat Dec 2012 #13
Jakes Progress Dec 2012 #15
Bake Dec 2012 #14

Response to Cosmocat (Original post)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:04 AM

1. Obama

The President needs to call the republicans' bluff and go over the cliff. Then, democrats need to immediately introduce legislation to lower the tax rates ONLY on those making under $ 250,000. The republicans will have to support it, otherwise they will be exiled by most of the 98 % to the deep South, where they belong.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to rso (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:06 AM

2. +1

I agree, that's the only alternative if the repukes don't budge.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 02:26 PM

9. I think it is pretty clear

this is CLEARLY the way to go on this, from EVERY aspect - policy and politics.

He SHOULD have let these friggen disaster tax cuts expire the last go around ...

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 04:20 PM

16. I am hoping that's what he is doing

I am probably just being overly optimistic, but I am thinking that he leaked it because he knew the GOP wouldn't take it and wants to be able to say that he did everything he could to compromise and be reasonable and they still took us over the cliff.

If they were close to reaching a deal on the latest offer, I don't see why they would leak it.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 12:34 PM

3. He said it himself ... By 1980's standards, he's "a moderate Republican"

That really should be all any of us need to know. He's NOT a liberal, definitely NOT a progressive ... by his own admission. DU needs to stop fooling itself.

Reply to this post

Response to Myrina (Reply #3)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:17 PM

5. take your own advice and stop acting like a fool.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:46 PM

6. Some of

SOME of "DU needs to stop fooling itself"

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 02:25 PM

8. That isn't it

I don't think that is the issue.

If he had a democratic congress with balls, I have no doubt he would VERY willingly sign off on things like universal health care.

I think the issue is two fold.

1) He sees how it is likely to shake out and moves to quickly to where he sees things ending up too quickly - he undersells his own position in this regard because he is dealing with people who DO NOT MOVE.

2) He is who he is as a person, and also is our first african american president, and he has had to be UNWAVERINGLY level in his tone and demeanor. I think he is a very tough person and more determined than people think in a lot of ways. But, he just tends to be too accomodating to republicans because he is absolutely committed to doing HIS part in trying to have more civil and reasonable dialogue and policy.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:05 PM

4. But you never liked him enough to learn how to spell his name?? Sure.

Reply to this post

Response to MjolnirTime (Reply #4)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 02:18 PM

7. Whatever

believe whatever you want to believe.

I like him A LOT.

This is one of my few beefs with him.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 09:03 PM

10. Write to the white house. I DID!

Today I sent an email to the Presudent. I complained and let him have it. - respectfully-

We all need yo write to him. He needs to know we voted for him to protect SS and Medicare and that WE ARE paying attention.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 09:48 PM

11. I USED to like Obama a lot

Not so much after today.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 07:20 AM

12. You can't wait till the actual facts come out?

It's been just like this for 4 years. Rumors come out about how Obama is caving and giving the Republicans everything and how weak he is and yada yada. Then the facts come out and it turns out President Obama actually gets things done that no other President has ever been able to make any headway into.

I think I'll wait until the facts come out before I throw tantrums.

Reply to this post

Response to lunatica (Reply #12)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 08:13 AM

13. A couple things

You have reading comprehension issues.

I did not scream about how horrible he is, how I won't support him again, how I am all disappointed.

The OP was not some hysterical post.

I like him plenty, and will always support him because he is a darn fine president.

And, sorry, there is a clear pattern in these situations.

He has capitulated to these morons twice in these situations.

He should have let the tax cuts expire two years ago and he let them extort him/the country the during the last debt ceiling deadline.

Smoke is smoke, he clearly moved pretty significantly in their direction.

Now, being the deranged lunatics they are, there is a VERY good chance they will keep moving the bar on him to the point where he has no choice but to do what he should do at a MUCH earlier point.

That might be the saving grace here.

Reply to this post

Response to Cosmocat (Reply #13)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 04:13 PM

15. But you didn't bow your head,

genuflect, and ask forgiveness for harboring negative thoughts about Obama. You are not allowed to have an opinion on how you are governed. Obama's minions here will tell you what to think and how to come to embrace republican values. Now apologize for not leaping high enough.

Reply to this post

Response to lunatica (Reply #12)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 04:07 PM

14. If you're saying wait until there's a deal, it's too late at that point.

I keep hearing that ... "wait and see what happens." Once it's happened, it's TOO LATE.

Bake

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread