HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » I hope this is the right ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 01:48 PM

I hope this is the right forum: strike while the iron is hot

I am seeing a difference this weekend about how the nation and politicians are reacting to Friday's shooting. I know I reacted much more strongly. I've contacted both of my senators and my U.S. Representative. I have written diatribes to the NRA, National Shooting Sports Foundation, and Gun Owners of America.

I still have to write letters to the editor, and similarly register my outrage with people who are either responsible for these types of tragedies or can do something about it.

Don't underestimate the power of "Now". It is not disrespectful to the victims to have this conversation and demand action as the body politic in this country. It is a debasing of their lives to FAIL to speak out against the far too powerful gun lobby.

Times are different. All the Karl Rove and Koch brothers' money could not drown out the will of Americans and Democrats retained the White House and gained seats in the Senate and House.

I urge you to be vocal to your family, vocal to your friends, vocal on social media....

This is the time to restrict the flow of arms throughout this country.

6 replies, 723 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply I hope this is the right forum: strike while the iron is hot (Original post)
Pretzel_Warrior Dec 2012 OP
villager Dec 2012 #1
customerserviceguy Dec 2012 #2
Jennicut Dec 2012 #3
Pretzel_Warrior Dec 2012 #4
jonthebru Dec 2012 #5
Pretzel_Warrior Dec 2012 #6

Response to Pretzel_Warrior (Original post)

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 01:50 PM

1. Exactly so. Failing to act *dishonors* them, and just paves the way for the next group of victims...

...to join them.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 02:19 PM

2. During a lame duck session of Congress

when we can't even figure out how to agree to solve economic issues that hold a figurative gun to the head of most all of us?

By the time the next Congress is seated in January, this issue will be off the front pages.

Reply to this post

Response to customerserviceguy (Reply #2)

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 02:34 PM

3. It will remain very important to my Senators, Senator Blumenthal and Senator Murphy

I doubt any Repubs will do a damn thing to help.

Reply to this post

Response to Jennicut (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 04:26 PM

4. I think GOP is running scared after election

We should at least raise bills in the senate and get GOP on record.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 08:27 PM

5. If not now, when?

My take regards the national Post Traumatic Stress Response to these tragedies. It will happen again... and again until something in our collective consciousness gathers the courage to do the right thing. Its not just about guns, it is about influence.
The first thing to do is remove the influence of lobbyists and "Associations" from the congress and senate.
The second is to make elections fair. Stop the efforts that disenfranchise "the other."
Gerrymandering to create "safe" districts should be against the law. But that along with term limits will be very difficult to implement.
anticorruptionact.org is a good place to start.

The intransigence of the firearm manufacturers and retailers will cause their own demise. What about "well-regulated militia" do they not get?

anticorruptionact.org

Here is a current story on ALEC, the NRA and associates from Truthout.org. It makes my point. Remember that the "Stand your ground" laws were created by ALEC and they strive to free their members from any liability regarding gun violence.

http://truth-out.org/news/item/13364-big-money-alec-and-the-gun-agenda

Reply to this post

Response to jonthebru (Reply #5)

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 02:42 AM

6. an amazing connection. thanks for the link.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread