HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » GOP meme during 2008 gas ...

Thu Mar 29, 2012, 03:19 PM

GOP meme during 2008 gas hike: "Why is Gasoline So Cheap?"

In 2008, gasoline prices jumped passed $4/gal. However, the difference between then and now is that back then a Republican was in office and all the GOPers with an email account were distributing pieces like the following, which was sent to me and also reprinted in a NYT blog:

Think a $4 gallon of gas is expensive? Consider the prices of these other fluids that people buy every day without complaint.

Lipton Iced Tea, 16 oz @ $1.19 = $9.52 per gallon

Diet Snapple, 16 oz @ $1.29 = $10.32 per gallon

Gatorade, 20 oz @ $1.59 = $10.17 per gallon

Ocean Spray, 16 oz @ $1.25 = $10.00 paer gallon

Evian water, 9 oz @ $1.49 = $21.19 per gallon (!)

Wite-Out, 7 oz @ $1.39 = $25.42 per gallon

Brake fluid, 12 oz @ $3.15 = $33.60 per gallon

Scope, 1.5 oz @ $0.99 = $84.48 per gallon

Pepto-Bismol, 4 oz @ $3.85 = $123.20 per gallon

Vicks NyQuil, 6 oz @ $8.35 = $178.13 per gallon

But here’s the kicker:

HP 02 Black Ink Cartridge, 16 ml $18 online = $4,294.58 per gallon.

Yes, that’s right: inkjet printer ink goes for over four thousand dollars a gallon. What’s in there, anyway — gold filings?

So the next time you’re at the pump, be glad your car doesn’t run on water, Scope, Wite-Out, Pepto-Bismol, NyQuil, or — heaven forbid — printer ink!

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/27/compared-to-other-liquids-gasoline-is-cheap/

Back in 2008, similar cheerful acceptances for high gas prices were being posted all over the Internet and appearing in a million forwarded emails, such as the following pieces:
http://www.wisebread.com/why-is-gasoline-so-cheap-a-cost-comparison-of-40-common-household-liquids
http://ralphdeeds.hubpages.com/hub/Gas-Is-Cheap-in-the-United-States

You have to hand it to the GOPers. They did a pretty effective job tamping down the public anger at paying a price roughly as bad as today's cost per gallon. I suggest we pull out these articles -- with the date from 2008 circled and highlighted -- and pass them on to the GOPers who are now whining and hating on Obama for today's gas prices.

4 replies, 1765 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply GOP meme during 2008 gas hike: "Why is Gasoline So Cheap?" (Original post)
JaneQPublic Mar 2012 OP
GopperStopper2680 Mar 2012 #1
tanyev Mar 2012 #2
Canuckistanian Mar 2012 #3
Arkana Mar 2012 #4

Response to JaneQPublic (Original post)

Thu Mar 29, 2012, 03:24 PM

1. Hear Hear!

Funny they said 'be glad your car doesn't run on water' at the bottom. I don't think tap water was listed. Still...when you consider that gasoline is obtained from once-plentiful organic slime that was processed primarily by boiling it under pressure, it's hard to imagine how they get away with saying these things. Most of those other require several chemical constituents and involved factory processes to make. It's simple capitalism.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Mar 29, 2012, 07:14 PM

2. Thank you, Jane. I forgot all about that.

You get the K & the R.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 29, 2012, 11:12 PM

3. God almighty

What idiots. I've heard this argument before thousands of times and the sheer ignorance of this "concept" is astounding.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 30, 2012, 04:40 PM

4. Holy shit, what the hell?

Why is any of this relevant? No one fucking buys NyQuil by the gallon unless they're planning to make meth or something. No one buys ANYTHING on that list by the gallon--at least with any regularity.

Fucking idiots and hypocrites, all of them.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread