HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » I don't want Kerry as Sec...

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 06:03 PM

I don't want Kerry as Secretary of State.

Not that I don't think he can handle the job - but I think he's a strong senator and a great ally to have in the senate ... especially for his seniority. And you know, this isn't even about the risk of replacing him and losing the seat to, say, Scott Brown (though, that is always a concern). This is about Obama's presidency, no matter what, ending in 4 years and when it does come to a close, so ends Kerry's political career - or at least his significant political career. Where does he go from there? It's doubtful he'd return to the senate, unless his seat was replaced by a Republican, and then I could see it - but if he's replaced by a Democrat and Warren continues to be a senator there ... where does he fit in? What does he do?

If this was 2008, I'd say you could risk it - since 8 years would be an immense opportunity ... if he decided to stay on that long. But just 4? It seems like a waste of a good senator when there are other options out there.

Just my opinion. No biggie. If Kerry wants it, and Obama wants him to have it, then I can support it.

10 replies, 1102 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Drunken Irishman (Original post)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 06:05 PM

1. if harry reid/dems rewrote filibuster rules, Rice would pass in a breeze (probably) nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 06:17 PM

2. I don't want him as SoS either and it's not that I don't like him.

I'm tired of the good ole boys network, that is the US Senate. I was fuming while he and John McCain were chiding one another like they were Frat brothers, while Rome burns. McCain and Kerry are Plutocrats, and they were sent there to do a job, not to serve for a lifetime. I watched a show on TV and there were three senators and a Representative (Kyle, Leiberman, Barney Frank and I forget who the other senator was) who decided not to run for re-election this past November. Between the four of them, they averaged between 25 and 30 years each in congress. This is what enables them to go, do nothing, and feel no guilt. It's a good ole boys club that needs term limits.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 06:30 PM

3. You make good points about the longevity of

his service. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes.. betting PBO and those concerned have good plans though..that we don't know about YET, of course.

Just saw this tweet on the obama diary from Gov O'Malley..

"People I think are not going to be very forgiving of this attack on Rice." says @governoromalley on #PoliticsNation

PoliticsNation (@PoliticsNation) December 13, 2012

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 06:40 PM

4. Kerry will be in his mid 70s by 2016. A LOT of people want to retire altogether by then anyway.

So I'm not sure his "political future" post 2016 is all that much of an issue. If you think about it, at one time Kerry intended on being done with being an elected official by this year at the latest, given that he ran for President in 2004.

Aside from that, I've said since the beginning that I feel he is the most qualified for the position and thus it should be his if he wants it.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 06:44 PM

5. He'd be a decent SOS - he's got decades of experience in Senate For. Rel. Cmte.

The biggest problem I see is making sure he's replaced by a Democrat, and not a right-wing douchebag like Scott Brown.

Hopefully, there are better Dem candidates than Martha Coakely itching for the seat this time...

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 06:54 PM

6. He is no spring chicken, though I forget that sometimes. He is 69.

I think he would eventually retire anyway. I think after 4 years as SOS he will be done at 73. Not a bad political career he had there. I like John Kerry and think he will make an excellent SOS.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 07:05 PM

7. SoS Kerry = Senator Pink Leather Shorts 2. nt

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 07:08 PM

8. Problem is. Kerry likely wants to be SecofState

Maybe the guy, no longer wants to be a Senator

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 08:08 PM

9. he can be Sec of State under Hillary and he is a grandfather now

so i don't think he would mind spending time at home and babysitting.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 09:59 PM

10. it is true that KErry is one of the True Liberals in the Senate and it will be hard to replace

someone like him.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread