HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Can Michigan voters put a...

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 05:25 PM

Can Michigan voters put a people's veto referendum on the ballot to get rid of "Right to Work"?

In 2011, we KILLED our TeaBag state government's attempt to get to rid of our very popular same-day voter registration law by a people's veto. We WON BIG. And we just WON BIG AGAIN by VOTING OUT THE TEABAGGERS IN THE STATE LEGISLATURE IN A VERY BIG WAY. Michigan needs to do the same in 2014. In the meantime, can they get signatures for a people's veto like Ohio also did with their anti-union bill and like we did with voter suppression in Maine?

If so, GO FOR IT !!

6 replies, 1399 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Can Michigan voters put a people's veto referendum on the ballot to get rid of "Right to Work"? (Original post)
RBInMaine Dec 2012 OP
ShadowLiberal Dec 2012 #1
Teamster Jeff Dec 2012 #5
Capester79 Dec 2012 #2
dtom67 Dec 2012 #3
RBInMaine Dec 2012 #4
SteveG Dec 2012 #6

Response to RBInMaine (Original post)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 06:00 PM

1. If passed as part of the appropriation bill no

From what I understand, anything passed in an appropriation bill can't be overturned by the voters.

I imagine there'll be lawsuits over including such an unpopular piece of legislation that has zero to do with balancing the budget/paying for anything in an appropriation bill however, but have no idea if they could succeed or not.

Maybe someone who's from Michigan or a lawyer would have a better answer then me though.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ShadowLiberal (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:12 PM

5. The Gov has line item veto

If he wanted to he could veto the appropriation section which would make the right to work for less law open for a referendum. He is being pressured so its a slight possibility.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 06:15 PM

2. They Can Protest And Vote Them Out In 2014

Reply to this post

Response to dtom67 (Reply #3)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:06 PM

4. Then gotta amend the state constitution and/or vote the bastards out in 2014 and repeal it.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 08:17 PM

6. One option

since they cannot hold a referendum on the law itself, they might be able to use the initiative process to create a new law which would replace the law passed today.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread