HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » The democrats need to get...

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 02:55 PM

The democrats need to get off this Clinton for 2016 shit

Obama hasn't even been inaugurated yet and the media and democrats are talking about 2016.This is total disrespecting President Obama

42 replies, 3815 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 42 replies Author Time Post
Reply The democrats need to get off this Clinton for 2016 shit (Original post)
bigdarryl Dec 2012 OP
ugojwt2 Dec 2012 #1
dchill Dec 2012 #7
MotherPetrie Dec 2012 #2
djean111 Dec 2012 #3
Art_from_Ark Dec 2012 #32
jody Dec 2012 #4
whathehell Dec 2012 #8
MBS Dec 2012 #28
Recursion Dec 2012 #5
LuvLoogie Dec 2012 #6
rury Dec 2012 #18
LuvLoogie Dec 2012 #19
rury Dec 2012 #29
Beacool Dec 2012 #35
Sunlei Dec 2012 #9
graham4anything Dec 2012 #10
treestar Dec 2012 #11
center rising Dec 2012 #12
kestrel91316 Dec 2012 #13
NCarolinawoman Dec 2012 #17
Blasphemer Dec 2012 #14
Comrade_McKenzie Dec 2012 #15
rury Dec 2012 #16
Beacool Dec 2012 #36
Jamaal510 Dec 2012 #20
davidn3600 Dec 2012 #21
RudynJack Dec 2012 #22
DFW Dec 2012 #23
Cosmocat Dec 2012 #24
DFW Dec 2012 #25
MADem Dec 2012 #26
MBS Dec 2012 #27
CobaltBlue Dec 2012 #30
Jennicut Dec 2012 #31
Hekate Dec 2012 #33
Beacool Dec 2012 #34
Liberal_Stalwart71 Dec 2012 #39
Beacool Dec 2012 #41
davidpdx Dec 2012 #37
Liberal_Stalwart71 Dec 2012 #38
Beacool Dec 2012 #42
ProudToBeBlueInRhody Dec 2012 #40

Response to bigdarryl (Original post)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 02:58 PM

1. infotainment network

this what happens when there is nothing to talk about,i call the mexia gas bags

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ugojwt2 (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 03:30 PM

7. There is PLENTY to talk about.

That's the point of this thread. I think.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 03:05 PM

2. I'm sure they will listen to you

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 03:07 PM

3. I am pretty sure that Obama has gotten all from me that he needed - my vote.

I feel that I am free to speculate about the next prez.
I am pretty sure I am going to be told that social security and medicare are "ponies" and that I am unrealistic, any day now.

I don't think for one minute that signing petitions or cheering or whatever really changes anything.
Obama is gonna do what he is gonna do without any input from me. Well, he might get input from me but it does not matter, I think all the dies are cast, or whatever.
So - disrespect? Nope. Realistic? Yep.
And I believe we had better start planning for 2016 now - the GOP is, sure as shit.

Reply to this post

Response to djean111 (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 11:17 PM

32. You are absolutely correct in all respects

2016 will in all likelihood be a "clean slate" for both parties, that is, the candidates will probably be people who have never run for President before. The historical precedent is against the Democrats, both for 2016 and 2014, so yes, they need to start planning for the post-Obama era, as well as for the next mid-term elections.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 03:09 PM

4. Does it anger you that Hillary has such a large, loyal following? You better learn to live with it

or face four years of seething anger.

Reply to this post

Response to jody (Reply #4)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 03:36 PM

8. I could be wrong, but maybe he's just sick of "election speculation". I know I am.

Talk about Hillary doesn't anger me at all. What angers me is just

non-stop election talk.

Campaigns in other countries last 6 weeks. Ours, it seems,

are without end.

Reply to this post

Response to whathehell (Reply #8)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 12:57 PM

28. " " " "" n/t

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 03:19 PM

5. Political reporters gotta eat too

Tossing around names for the next election is an age-old post-election thing to do, and it keeps the clicks coming.

It will quiet down for two years after the inauguration.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 03:22 PM

6. People who are excited about a potential Clinton run

respect the President. Most people who voted for B would have voted for Hillary as well. Democrats are lucky to have Hillary on deck. Had she been elected president in 08, I doubt that Senator Barrack Obama would have been a favorite for 2016. I doubt that he would have been offered as prominent a cabinet position as SOS.

It is a plus that Dems have a clear favorite for 2016. Perhaps we can focus our energy on getting back some state legislatures between now and then. We need a juggernaut campaign in 2016 so that down ticket Dems, especially women, ride that wave to Washington.

More Progressives will get in by riding that wave than by trying to check that momentum. You need big guns to take the beach.

Reply to this post

Response to LuvLoogie (Reply #6)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 08:05 PM

18. RE: It is a plus that Dems have a clear favorite for 2016.

REALLY??!!
Hillary Clinton was a "clear favorite" for the Democratic nomination in 2007. One year later, Barack Obama vanquished her.
So why would anyone anoint a "clear favorite" four years out?
We just do not know what candidates might emerge between now and then.
I Love It When I Wake Up in the Morning and Barack Obama is President!!
I am not ready to decide on a choice for 2016!!

Reply to this post

Response to rury (Reply #18)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 09:16 PM

19. If Hillary Clinton decides to run

She will likely have President Obama's political team backing her along with the organization she and Bill would muster. You can't think in terms of 2007. She has four years of solid performance in high office serving this President with grace and honor. If she decides to run I see nobody from the field mounting a serious challenge.

All the big money and most of the small money would go to her campaign. She would likely get 65% of women, at least 50% of men. No challenger will be backed by the Chicago camp. Durbin wouldn't challenge. John Kerry? Doubt it. Warren? Too early.

With Bill AND Barack on the stump? Fuhgetaboudit.

Reply to this post

Response to LuvLoogie (Reply #19)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 02:02 PM

29. Again. No one thought a serious challenge would be mounted against her in 2008. And yet...

We still don't know who will emerge from the pack of possible candidates by then.
And Elizabeth Warren "too early?" Sounds a lot like Barack Obama "too early!"
And I CAN think in terms of 2007 because Hillary Clinton was a known quantity then, having been first lady for eight years and then a U.S, senator with the daunting Clinton campaign machine and she could STILL not defeat the "upstart" Obama .
Bill would certainly campaign for her but what if someone close to Obama runs and he decides to stay neutral?
I just think all of this talk about 2016 and this coronation of Hillary is way premature - just as it was in 2007.

Reply to this post

Response to rury (Reply #18)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 01:11 AM

35. He didn't vanquish her the way you seem to mean it.

He won by a hair. You may loooooove Obama, some of us tolerate him. Besides, why does it irk you that Hillary has millions of supporters?

Different strokes..........

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 03:43 PM

9. If we can't get rid of the jerks in Congress (& the States) it won't matter who is President in 2016

I love Mrs. Clinton and President Obama. I don't think Mrs. Clinton wants to run for president again. She is an awesome SOS and may just be wore out from the hard work. But shes not that young anymore. Perhaps she wants to have a good life of freedom while young enough to enjoy it.

I hope we all can focus on the seats in Congress. We need to change them, it not to early to start that today.

Agree it is to early to wonder about 4 years from now. I don't think President Obama minds people speculate. I bet he wishes people/media would help vote out focus on the troublemakers in Congress.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 03:58 PM

10. By knowing who the nominee is for 2016, it frees to find the best candidates for Senate/House

in both 2014 and 2016

America has an orderly transition. That is what makes America great.

And remember, one of the singular great things Plouffe and the now moustache-less Axelrod did was to define the awipe loser in 2012 very early.

By knowing who will be the nominee early, it allows the other side to have to run against someone that can't be defined by them, as in the vast entire world, there is not one person who does not know Hillary45, and there is not one piece of dirt that the Karl Roves of the world haven't already made public

And by knowing its Hillary45, it frees the others to not make a futile run for 4 years, and for those in office, (ESPECIALLY THOSE THAT JUST WERE ELECTED FOR THEIR FIRST TERM)- it
means maybe they can actually do the job they were hired for and not showing the public that the candidate they elected just is using it as a stepping stone.

and btw, knowing its Hillary45, will make it easier for President Obama to quickly secure 100% amnesty and perhaps 100% citizenship, which to me is the singular most important thing a second term will/can bring.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 04:01 PM

11. 2016 is so far away

I can't even wrap my mind around it. Looking back, I'd say we have no idea who we will want as President then.

It could be someone we don't even know about yet.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 04:23 PM

12. OK darryl, let's talk 2020!!!!!

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 04:46 PM

13. They need to get off the whole 2016 thing regardless of WHO

they want. Americans need to relearn how to focus on NOW and not always put 100% of their attention on hypothetical distant futures.

Yes, advance planning is good. But we haven't even sworn Obama in for term #2. Talking about 2016 is silly, if not in overt bad taste and disrespectful to him.

Reply to this post

Response to kestrel91316 (Reply #13)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 07:51 PM

17. America has a whole lot of attention deficit disorder, fed by the media

and a whole bunch of computer gadgets.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 05:00 PM

14. At the end of the day, primary voters will decide

So it doesn't really matter what anyone thinks or writes about now.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 06:57 PM

15. I was hoping some of the useless pundits would be laid off after the election...

99% of them were revealed to be full of shit.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 07:43 PM

16. AMEN!! I am enjoying the Obama Presidency and not thinking about 2016 yet!

Hillary Clinton has stated that she is not interested in holding any public office - elected or appointed - after she leaves her current job as Secretary of State, shortly after President Obama is re-inaugurated or as soon as he names her replacement.
I believe her.
And I am not sure that I would support her even if she did run.

Reply to this post

Response to rury (Reply #16)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 01:12 AM

36. Oh, but I'm sure that you expected all Democrats to vote for Obama, right?

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 11:47 PM

20. I'm with the OP.

All this speculation is pretty pointless. I think the party would be better off looking elsewhere because Hillary is getting up there in age. Plus I think she even came out before and announced that she would NOT be running in 2016, anyway.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 02:44 AM

21. Meanwhile, everyone forgets about 2014

And the GOP expands control in congress.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 04:22 AM

22. It's not a major topic of discussion

Some people mention it. It's not disrespectful - it's just what the jabbering folks do. It's an obvious topic of interest, and people will discuss it.

But, if you think your opposition will shut them up, go for it.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 06:44 AM

23. Hillary will be 69 by the time of the 2016 election

I think Democrats need to let her make up her own mind before attempting to make it up for her.

Reply to this post

Response to DFW (Reply #23)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 07:11 AM

24. I think her mind is pretty well made up

There is a reason she is stepping down as SOS.

Take some time off to chill, then start to build for 2016.

She has wanted to be POTUS since Bill made it two decades plus ago.

It is THE golden ring.

No person in their right mind walks away from another shot at it when there is as much support and the ideal of being the first person of some kind to get it.

Reply to this post

Response to Cosmocat (Reply #24)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 12:34 PM

25. I'm not convinced

Last edited Sun Dec 9, 2012, 06:18 PM - Edit history (1)

Maybe you know her better than I do (which is to say, hardly at all), but I think she's stepping down from SOS simply because it's an exhausting job, and she has given it 24/7 attention for almost 4 years straight.

That is not an automatic indication that she's going to try for the White House in four years, no matter what she has wanted. She paved the way for a woman to be a credible candidate for the Oval Office, the first one to do so. That in itself is a feat the history books will never forget.

Support for the notion is not enough. She has to still want it in late 2015. I haven't talked to her since before she announced for the 2008 nomination, so I claim no firsthand knowledge, but I'd still wait for her to state clearly, "I'm 68 years old, I'd be 73 at the end of my first term, and you had better BELIEVE that I feel I am up to it!" THEN she becomes a credible candidate. A LOT will happen between now and November, 2015. Until then, it's other people's speculation.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 12:47 PM

26. No, it's not disrespectful, not in the slightest.

The theme is FORWARD...not backward. Nothing wrong at all with looking ahead and speculating.

That's not some Enemy of The State, people are talking about, there--that's Obama's SECRETARY OF STATE.

They are on the same team.

Sheesh. Turn off the tv if it bugs you. Don't tell others what they can/can't talk about; that kind of thing never works--just practice avoidance and let people have their fun.

In case memories are short, it was a Clinton (Bill) with a barn burning speech at the convention ("Arithmetic") who revitalized Obama's flagging campaign and ramped up the enthusiasm in a Big Dawg Big Time way.

I don't think Obama minds at all if people are talking about the next election...especially if they are enthused about a Democratic candidate.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 12:56 PM

27. I'm with you!

I groaned when I saw the newspaper this morning. A ridiculous obsession, even if it seems unstoppable.
Ditto endless speculation about Obama's 2nd-term cabinet choices (though at least that is bound to be resolved soon).

Can't we live in the present at least a little bit of the time, and do everything we can to help THIS president get things accomplished in the next 4 years? With the wingnuts in Congress, he's going to need all the help and support he can get.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 04:00 PM

30. Dear bigdarryl: I understand

bigdarryl writes:

Obama hasn't even been inaugurated yet and the media and Democrats are talking about 2016. This is total disrespecting President Obama

I, too, don't want to go into any discussion of 2016.

The 2012 presidential election lasted long enough. (Stephanie Miller also said so, on Current TV's election-night coverage.)

Talk about 2016 is like some big anticipation for some. The names suggested with both major parites reminds me of some big central casting for some major motion-picture studio's highly-epic product (coming out next year or so).

You're right.

Let's just deal with the current year of 2012 and look toward soon entering the year 2013.

For those who want to focus on elections: 2014 is what should be anticipated first. There is an estimated 30 percent less turnout with midterm elections. (That is compared to presidential elections.) Democrats should care to know this if they truly want to win back majority control of the U.S. House of Representatives.

Reply to this post

Response to CobaltBlue (Reply #30)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 04:52 PM

31. So true. We need to focus on 2014 first.

And I don't want the media to dictate to me who the candidates should be for 2016. I want to enjoy this hard fought win for President Obama and I think Dems in general should focus on the issues facing us immediately.
I have no real issues with Hillary I just want to see someone earn the nomination and not be crowned by the media. It is not a coronation. And it is way too soon for 2016. 2012 was stressful enough for me.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 11:27 PM

33. DUers are having a ball with it and I am sick of it.

I have nothing against Hillary Clinton, but President Obama hasn't even been sworn in for his second term yet! Can we forbear from behaving like the MSM, and concentrate on GOTV for 2014, so Obama gets a Congress he can work with?

>sigh<

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 01:06 AM

34. How so?

The entire media keeps talking about it. Why not us?

Reply to this post

Response to Beacool (Reply #34)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 01:38 PM

39. And you've never stopped.

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_Stalwart71 (Reply #39)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 01:47 PM

41. So?

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 05:27 AM

37. It won't happen

It is an obsession for some. I hear they have medication for it.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 01:37 PM

38. You said: "This is total disrespecting President Obama."

Hasn't that always been the two-pronged goal? First, pit Clinton Democrats against Obama Democrats (divide and conquer always works!). Second, disrespect Obama by de-legitimizing his presidency.

The Corporate Media is foolish and Democrats right along with it for falling for this divisive shit! It's right here on DU, too!

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_Stalwart71 (Reply #38)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 01:52 PM

42. Talking about a prospective Hillary run in 2016 is not disrespecting Obama.

They are no longer in competition. Why does it bother some of you so much that half of the party preferred Hillary in 2008 and that she still has so many supporters?

Obama's term will be over by then. How can speculating about the future be offensive to anyone?

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 01:57 PM

40. The ultimate form of disrespect to Obama....

....would be to lose the White House in 2016. All his work could be undone by some asshole Rethug and who knows what Congress.

We need to make plans ahead of time, while still focusing on the here and now.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread