HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » If You Want To Be A Hero,...

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 06:20 AM

If You Want To Be A Hero, Well Just Follow Me

It was 32 years ago today that my hero and one of the last truly good public figures in the world was shot to death outside of his apartment building by a psychopath. On December 8, 1980 I was just a young man of 28 when while watching a Monday night football game I couldn't believe my ears as I heard Howard Cosell tell the world of this horrific tragedy and I still to this day can not imagine why anyone would kill such a great peace activist, father, husband and song writer.

Today even thirty two years later after his death, John remains a hero to many people besides myself. Memorials have been placed around the world in memory of all his accomplishments. John will never be forgotten and continues to make a mark in people's lives.

These are the very important reasons why John Lennon has become and is my hero. John is my hero not for who he was but for what he stood for. John was a symbol for what is the most important thing in this world to me, he stood for peace and John taught me by standing for what he believed in during a time of struggle that peace is something that we should all strive for and it is something that I hope to be remembered by, such as he is.

Lennon had a fairly private life but he made sure that his enthusiasm and positivity regarding peace was made public. He attended and hosted many anti war protests to stop more blood from being spilled in wars and violent acts. He wrote a song called "Give Peace A Chance" to give his fans, and the world, an anthem for peace. It was sung outside the White House protesting war. John had trouble with the Nixon Administration because Nixon believed John would affect his election rating. Lennon was stalked almost constantly in 1972 because of his beliefs and outlooks on peace. A biography called "The U.S. vs. John Lennon" was created explaining a series of encounters he had with that administration. The way John dealt with this devastating situation was inspiring to many. He remained calm and still continued fighting for what he believed in. Simply stated, John has been and will continue to be remembered for what he became and how much of an impact he had on other's lives.

Words of course seem very inadequate to me to express the impact he had on music specifically, and the world, in general. He was always on the leading edge of what we were and still today are all struggling with in our lives and he wasn't afraid to stomp on consensus values. There is no doubt that we could sure use someone like him in today's world and we can only imagine what the world would have been like with him in it with us. John has passed on but his spirit lives on in my heart as well as millions of others.

Here are a few of my favorite John Lennon quotes, that speak to the man that he was.....

"Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears."

"My role in society, or any artist's or poet's role, is to try and express what we all feel. Not to tell people how to feel. Not as a preacher, not as a leader, but as a reflection of us all."

“A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.”

“Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.”

"If everyone practiced being themselves instead of pretending to be what they aren't, there would be peace."

Please take the time sometime today to pause and listen to one of his many beautiful songs that spoke of a better world for all of us to be living in and remember to give peace a chance in life before the battle. May you continue to rest in peace my hero.

13 replies, 2160 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply If You Want To Be A Hero, Well Just Follow Me (Original post)
johnlennon_shallrise Dec 2012 OP
peacebird Dec 2012 #1
Bernardo de La Paz Dec 2012 #4
SnowCritter Dec 2012 #2
redwitch Dec 2012 #3
stlsaxman Dec 2012 #5
radiclib Dec 2012 #6
kathym06 Dec 2012 #8
hrmjustin Dec 2012 #11
LiberalLoner Dec 2012 #10
cosmicamerican Dec 2012 #7
malthaussen Dec 2012 #9
pipewrench Dec 2012 #12
ancianita Dec 2012 #13

Response to johnlennon_shallrise (Original post)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 06:23 AM

1. "Imagine" remains my favorite anthem of all time.

John was a great man.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to peacebird (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 09:18 AM

4. +1

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 07:23 AM

2. I made a pilgrimage of sorts back in 2007

I was in New York with my wife visiting some of her relatives (we're from Central Minnesota). While she and several of her female cousins went shopping, I played tourist (well, why not, that's what I was) and made my way up to Central Park. Visited both the Dakota Apartments and Strawberry Fields. I didn't know how I would feel going there, but I guess you could say it made me both sad and happy.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 08:51 AM

3. I remember very clearly hearing the news of his death.

I was devastated. A very good man gone much too soon.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 09:24 AM

5. "keep you doped with religion, sex and TV...

and you think you're so clever and classless and free"

Thanks for posting this. I just found this wonderful treatment you might enjoy-

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 09:30 AM

6. No one who was alive at the time will ever forget

the feeling of horror the moment they learned what had happened. For me, only JFK and 9-11 compares, but Lennon's might be the worst, because the full extent of the tragedy was initially unknown in the other cases. With John, we learned right away that he was gone.
Yes, he is one of the few individuals who may have made a real difference in the world. There really aren't very many.

Reply to this post

Response to radiclib (Reply #6)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 12:02 PM

8. hero's

Paul Wellstone 2002. 10 days before the election.Another real hero!!!

Reply to this post

Response to kathym06 (Reply #8)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 05:11 PM

11. Welcome to DU and I hope you enjoy the site.

Reply to this post

Response to radiclib (Reply #6)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 03:14 PM

10. +1

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 10:42 AM

7. He was clever with words,

and a gifted musician. Time and nostalgia tends to blur the lines between myth and reality. He was a drug-addled, depressed recluse during the last years of his life.

"When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” - Lennon

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 01:24 PM

9. A bit over a year later, my lady friend and I visited NYC

We stopped off to visit the apartment in the Village where she had lived some 20 years previously. And you can imagine our reactions when we found that the name on her mailbox was... John Lennon.

-- Mal

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 08:44 PM

12. Lennon was a great man. Peace!

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 08:56 PM

13. Thank you for so eloquently memorializing him. He was a powerful cultural force.

He made my beliefs deeper and acceptable to the mainstream. His politics will never die.

Two of my favorite songs of his:

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread