HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » I Just Got Into It Again ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 11:35 PM

I Just Got Into It Again With My Dumbass Puke Neighbor Tonight

Because he decided to stop the wife and I while we were out on our evening walk to try and talk politics and economics with me and when he went to the dumb ass statement they all spew about how the rich and business are "job creators" and that President Obama will never get it I looked at him and very politely asked him to explain to me if that were true and with both corporate profits and unemployment at 50 year highs right now, why is it that we are not drowning in jobs today and he went all lunatic on me and said "oh you'll never understand how economics work because your that jackass long-haired baby-boomin' hippie that plays that damn John Lennon bullshit music loud all the time and you support an illegal alien President". Needless to say that bastard is going to be listening to my 4CD Box Set all damn night long now and that's a FACT!

44 replies, 4792 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 44 replies Author Time Post
Reply I Just Got Into It Again With My Dumbass Puke Neighbor Tonight (Original post)
johnlennon_shallrise Dec 2012 OP
xxqqqzme Dec 2012 #1
LiberalLoner Dec 2012 #30
6spokewheels Dec 2012 #2
bluestateguy Dec 2012 #3
niyad Dec 2012 #4
Maynar Dec 2012 #10
peace13 Dec 2012 #5
Liberal_in_LA Dec 2012 #6
Cha Dec 2012 #7
Dark n Stormy Knight Dec 2012 #8
socialindependocrat Dec 2012 #9
SouthernDonkey Dec 2012 #16
go west young man Dec 2012 #11
Firebrand Gary Dec 2012 #12
progree Dec 2012 #13
riverbendviewgal Dec 2012 #19
progree Dec 2012 #37
NewJeffCT Dec 2012 #21
Major Nikon Dec 2012 #14
mstinamotorcity2 Dec 2012 #28
Jeroen Dec 2012 #15
SouthernDonkey Dec 2012 #17
JoePhilly Dec 2012 #18
riverbendviewgal Dec 2012 #20
BootinUp Dec 2012 #22
treestar Dec 2012 #23
Diclotican Dec 2012 #24
Bluenorthwest Dec 2012 #25
Rider3 Dec 2012 #26
louis-t Dec 2012 #27
lbrtbell Dec 2012 #29
thucythucy Dec 2012 #31
Manifestor_of_Light Dec 2012 #32
jimlup Dec 2012 #33
Mopar151 Dec 2012 #34
sarcasmo Dec 2012 #35
Mopar151 Dec 2012 #36
progree Dec 2012 #38
Always Randy Dec 2012 #39
CBHagman Dec 2012 #40
frostfern Dec 2012 #43
progree Dec 2012 #44
progree Dec 2012 #41
frostfern Dec 2012 #42

Response to johnlennon_shallrise (Original post)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 11:40 PM

1. Guessing

he is not a big fan of 'Working Class Heroes' anywhere.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to xxqqqzme (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 02:21 PM

30. LOL +1

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 11:44 PM

2. pukehpaloser

Then invite the imbecile over for a bed-in, and enjoy watching his head explode.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 11:45 PM

3. It's not patriotic to go against the commander in chief in a time of war

And I take patriotism very seriously.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 12:00 AM

4. just remember "it is impossible to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person"

but, enjoy your music, because we know he won't. (chinese opera works pretty well, too)

Reply to this post

Response to niyad (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 01:50 AM

10. Excellent.

Was that Mark Twain? Sure sounds like him.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 12:42 AM

5. Be safe.

They are called crazy for a reason.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 01:38 AM

6. lol. n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 01:39 AM

7. The obvious comeback to the type of brainwashing is..

"You'll never get it because you're brainwashed.. you don't even know where the President was born.. oh, and Pres Obama GETS IT!"

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 01:45 AM

8. Play God over and over and tell him you're having a religious experience.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 01:47 AM

9. sounds like he talks to you because he knows he'll get an argument

It's a NO-WIN,

He just wants to argue - so, no matter what you say he'll blow off at the slightest thing.

He's probably blowing off because Romney lost.

I wouldn't push any more unless you like to argue, too.

If you still want to get into it there is a great new thread about how raising taxes has little effect on jobs.

Your choice...

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 02:06 AM

11. Crank it up especially loud over the next two days

as we approach the anniversary of John's death. It leaves one to wonder what he may yet have created. Truly a magic man. Skywriting by word of Mouth was always one of my favorite books and #9 Dream always makes me want to cry.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 02:08 AM

12. Loud and proud my friend, play it loud and proud! nt

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 02:14 AM

13. Hmm, the Bush tax cuts and "job creator" economy didn't work out so well ...

The stock market (S&P 500) at the end of the Bush presidency was 37% lower than at the start of his presidency (compare to up more than 60% under Obama)

The unemployment rate at the end of the Bush presidency was 3.5% higher than at the start of his presidency

The national debt was 87% higher at the end than at the start (i.e. nearly doubled)

Under Obama there have been 32 straight months of private sector job growth (since February 2010), totaling 5.0 million private sector jobs (thru October 2012 with September & October preliminary). Total job growth during this period is 4.5 million jobs ( 0.5 million government jobs were lost ).

Whereas, the economy Bush handed to Obama lost 4.3 million jobs during the last 10 months of the Bush administration. Furthermore, at the end of the Bush administration the rate of job losses was accelerating -- losing 2.28 million jobs just in his last 3 months -- an average of 760,000 lost jobs a month (the average of the last 3 months of the Bush presidency).

Bush's 8 year record: created 1.1 million payroll jobs - by creating 1.8 million government jobs and destroying 0.7 million private sector jobs. ( the actual numbers are, in thousands: Total: 1,080, Govt: 1,753, PrivateSector: -673 ). Yes, it is ironic that a supposed "small government conservative" ended up creating government jobs and destroying private sector jobs.

Lets see what else...

Reply to this post

Response to progree (Reply #13)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 09:34 AM

19. excellent stats

have any links where you got them from I'd like to send them to my brother the Obama hater

Reply to this post

Response to riverbendviewgal (Reply #19)

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 12:01 AM

37. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Treasury Dept .... exact links

I'm glad you liked them.

All the links are at http://www.democraticunderground.com/111622439

For example:

* The stock market data came from Yahoo Finance - links/explanation at EF 4 (post #4 there)

* The unemployment rate - This comes from the Bureau of Labor Statistics - links/explanation at EF 2 (post #2 there).

* The national debt - This comes from the Treasury Dept. Links/explanation at EF 5 (post # 5 there).

* Number of Jobs created or lost - This comes from Bureau of Labor Statisics. Links/explanation at EF 1 (post #1 there).

None came out of my ass, or from some dubious second-hand source. These are all official sources (except well, Yahoo Finance for S&P 500 and Dow Industrial returns).

Lots more material for Obama haters to digest there. Sorry to hear your brother is one of them.

Reply to this post

Response to progree (Reply #13)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 09:45 AM

21. great stats

amazing how that worked.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 02:23 AM

14. Poetic

Who would have ever guessed that taking resources from the poor and middle class and giving it to the rich would have the actual effect of making the rich richer and the rest poorer?

Reply to this post

Response to Major Nikon (Reply #14)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 01:00 PM

28. Anyone who has had 5th grade civics.

They learn about Gross National and Gross Domestic Product. They learn about the laws of supply and demand. They learn about consumerism. The problem is that most Republicans were taught to focus on ridiculously ignorant issues and forgot to pay attention to those teachers.

The Republicans seem to have had Romnesia before the condition could be indentified and diagnosed. In 1964 after the Voting Rights Act was passed, The most Conservative Supremist took over the Party. The Party of Goldwaters,Birchers,Kochs,Thurmonds,and Wallaces wanted an ALL WHITE PARTY. They basically now have it. There are those who say all Republicans are not prejudice. And I say to them, Why would you align yourself to the Republican Party when you know it is what they wanted??? An ALL WHITE Party. The Hardcore Dixie Southern Council Crats went leaping into the Republican Party. If you don't know what they are about why do you belong??? Most will say its a family tradition. They have always been republican. And I say to them then you seem to be willing to carry on the Family Tradition.

The Middle class has been the Buffer for years between the rich and the poor. They are the ones who are truly the Job Creators. The more they purchase the more Jobs that are created in almost all sectors of life. The Middle class help the Poor by not letting the rich economically fall on our heads. They also helped to lift the poor out of their circumstances through the Tax base of education and job training. I remember when Reagan and NeoConservatives declared their war on the Middle class. Death to the Unions! Remember it well. Well now that they have practically wiped out the Middle class they had to MOVE up the FOOD CHAIN. They had took the Middle class Jobs, Homes, Retirements, Health Care, Investments, and Educational Opportunities and Killed Dreams all over America. But it wasn't enough. They had to have More.
I think It started with the Screen Actor's and Writers. Then Major League baseball. Then the National Football League. Then The National Basketball League. Is the National Hockey League still out of commission??? I saw it a long time coming!!!

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 03:40 AM

17. I wondered why

I couldn't understand economics! It's all those Beatles songs!

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 09:30 AM

18. Correct response: "If you know so much about economics, why aren't YOU rich?"

"What, are you too lazy or too stupid ?"

Checkmate.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 09:43 AM

20. imagine

that these ignorant people suddenly got revelation and realize how stupid the words they are speaking. Alas it in their genes. I have a brother who is just like your neighbor.
Let's all play john Lennon loudly this Saturday.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 09:46 AM

22. Crank it up dude!

hell ya.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 09:48 AM

23. The fact they won't answer the question about why there aren't a lot of jobs after the

Shrub tax cuts, proves they have no desire to discuss any subject at all. They are just haters.

Until they are affected themselves, and even though, they don't give a shit about anyone else.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 12:35 PM

24. johnlennon_shallrise

johnlennon_shallrise

Play John Lennon - loud and clear - so everyone who is able can listen to this often excellent musician... Imagine is one of my personal favorites, another's is war is over - happy christmas to point to a few ones.

I suspect Give Peace a shance on high volume would get your nabour to go over the cliff... As long as you dosen't play it to loud that is.. I suspect it is bulding codes that regulate the volume most places...

Diclotican

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 12:38 PM

25. Just tell 'em there's no problems, only solutions...

nt

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 12:41 PM

26. Make sure the bass it turned on high

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 12:42 PM

27. Deliberately misinformed and

willfully ignorant. That is all.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 01:28 PM

29. Way to go!

Even though I don't like The Beatles' music, I'd love to be there to witness your John Lennon marathon!

I have a puke neighbor who blares Rush Limpballs and Glenn Dreck outside. When it gets to be too much, I play some of the most annoying New Wave music I own--he gets the point really quickly.

My next attack: I've made a recording of a Keith Olbermann special comment. Here's the kicker--the recording has the special comment backward and forward. At the same time! He won't be able to hear his RW crap over my gibberish, LOL.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 02:49 PM

31. Keep you doped with religion

and sex and TV,
and you think you're so clever and classless and free,
but you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see...

As true today as it was in 1970.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 05:26 PM

32. Power to the People.....cranked!!

All excellent suggestions.

The night he was shot, I came home from night school about 10 pm Central time. I was finishing my first semester of law school. My dad had been watching TV and said "John Lennon's been shot".

And I said, "They can't do that, that's
like shooting Santa Claus."

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 06:30 PM

33. While I know it will be impossible to convince him of this

He's the one who has no fucking clue about "economic theory".

Hit him hard with some Krugman if you can.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 08:05 PM

34. Love the music - but John Lennon is beloved by many for another reason

Anybody who could freak out Nixon and Hoover that bad has to be a hero.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 08:11 PM

35. Damn Hippy.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 08:11 PM

36. Video of Working Class Hero

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 12:42 AM

38. Ask him how Romney's plan would fix the economy and solve the deficit / debt problem.

Now it may seem like Romney, the Great Successful Businessman, would do so much better if he had been given the chance. But you (speaking to your RW neighbor) have no idea what Governor Etch-A-Sketch would do, as he radically shifts his positions all the time. For all we know, he would have jammed RomneyCare down your throat. What you do know is that as governor of Massachusetts, the state was 47th out of 50th in job creation (it ranked much better than that under his predecessor). And he moved the state from #2 in per-capita debt to #1. Oops, wrong direction. Oops, not a #1 ranking one wants to have.

He was talented at creating jobs in China. Not so well in Massachusetts.

Romney's plan for $5 trillion in tax cuts via marginal rate reductions, and a $2 trillion increase in core defense spending, all paid for somehow by reducing some unspecified deductions and a huge helping of magic supply side fairy dust didn't sound like a plan for the economy but rather a plan for winning over the gullible in the 2012 election. I forget, how did that election thing work out? Kind of a 1-day story and then it was Petraeus and Benghazi and fiscal cliff this and fiscal cliff that and fiscal cliff some more day in and day out.

Lots of statistics of the Obama economy compared to the Bush economy WITH OFFICIAL SOURCES (LINKS) at http://www.democraticunderground.com/111622439

When you get tired of statistics, you can send him this (found on the net somewhere, I can't claim authorship):

Hey, TEA PARTY fanatics, google "Koch Brothers" if ya wanna see who's really behind your so-called "grass roots" movement.....it's really an "astro turf" job.....do you REALLY think rich corporations and rich people in general actually care about you, do you think they want to hang out with you? You guys are being used, but you're too dopey to even realize it.....the rich are laughing at you; while you champion their lower taxes/no taxes, they're laughing all the way to the bank....When was the last time YOU were able to have a good laugh????

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 08:06 AM

39. Insane Clown Posse and the Ramones music

I think that would be more effective to convert your friend -----and hey ---this is DU it's- not "the" wife---it's my wife-----not tryin' to take your inventory --just trying to keep us all civil

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 08:11 AM

40. The economy's dependent on the work and the spending of the bottom 98 percent.

All those corporations don't run themselves. All those people don't get to work because of the CEO. They travel by the roads that workers built. They ride on the subways and buses driven by transit workers. They ride in cars manufactured and sold by the bottom 98 percent.

Who does he think comes to the stores and restaurants that provide those CEOs with their perks and stock options?

The corollary to this is that people in the bottom 98 are more likely to spend their earnings, whether on necessities or entertainment, and the top 2 percent are more likely to sit on the money.

Reply to this post

Response to CBHagman (Reply #40)

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 05:05 PM

43. They don't always just sit on it...

They sometimes invest it in Wall Street. The problem is more often than this does not lead to actual jobs in the USA. All it does is lets them make the excuse that they are "risk takers" rather than simple hoarders. Sometimes an investment will lead to jobs if it provides a company with equity or loans for expansion, but that only works when there is consumer demand.

Reply to this post

Response to frostfern (Reply #43)

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 06:29 PM

44. Yup, and the vast majority of their money just buys equities on the secondary market

Investments in IPOs provide companies with capital to invest in employees and equipment and so on. But just going to schwab.com or whatever broker and buying shares of Exxon or Walmart or whatever does nothing to provide these companies with more capital to invest. The money goes to the previous holders of the stock who in turn bought it on the secondary market who in turn ....

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 11:50 AM

41. Job creation -- Dem presidents v. Repub presidents - How does your RW neighbor explain this?

Job Creation of record of post-WWII Presidents With Completed Terms, Average Annual % Increases :

(Sorted from best to worst by average annual percentage increase in jobs. Republicans in red, Democrats in blue. Notice that -- with the tiny exception (0.02% difference) of Nixon to Kennedy -- the worst Democrat has a better record than the best Republican)

Average Average

number of Jobs at Annual

Jobs start of Percentage

Created Term Increase

President Per Month Millions In Jobs

========= ========= ======== =======

Johnson 196,500 57.3 4.12%

Carter 215,396 80.7 3.20%

Truman 93,570 41.4 2.71%

Clinton 236,875 109.7 2.59%

Nixon 137,030 69.4 2.37%

Kennedy 105,059 53.7 2.35%

Reagan 167,729 91.0 2.21%

Ford 71,483 78.6 1.09%

Eisenhower 36,854 50.1 0.88%

G.H. Bush 54,021 107.1 0.61%

G.W. Bush 11,406 132.5 0.10%

The average annual % increase in jobs is a much fairer way to compare presidents than just the raw job creation figures in thousands because the latter is unfair to the earlier presidents who were working with much smaller labor forces to begin with. For example the number of job holders at the beginning of Truman's administration was only 38% as many as at the beginning of Clinton's administration, and 31% as many as at the beginning of G.W. Bush's administration. So Truman's pathetic-looking 93,570 jobs/month creation record turns out to be even better than Clinton's 236,875 jobs/month record when adjusted for the size of the labor force.

In raw thousands of jobs created, both Reagan and Nixon beat Truman. But when adjusted for the size of the labor force -- again, by looking at average annual percentage increases in jobs -- Truman beats them both.

Official sources of information for the above:

# Payroll Jobs: http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/CES0000000001
# Monthly change of above: http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/CES0000000001?output_view=net_1mth
# . . Hint: to see both of the above two together on the same page, go to http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/CES0000000001 and click on the "More Formatting Options" link in the upper right and check the "Original Data Value" and the "1-Month Net Change" checkboxes and click the "Retrieve Data" button halfway down the page on the left
# Private Sector Payroll Employment (not used in the above, but handy to know): http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/CES0500000001
# Monthly change of above: http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/CES0500000001?output_view=net_1mth
# . . Hint: to see both of the above two together on the same page, go to http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/CES0500000001
and click on the "More Formatting Options" link in the upper right and check the "Original Data Value" and the "1-Month Net Change" checkboxes and click the "Retrieve Data" button halfway down the page on the left

This one compares all post-WWII presidents on a term by term basis, with and without an 8 month lag:

"The monthly statistics are quoted from January, as U.S. presidents take office at the end of that month, and from September (bold), as this is the last month of the federal fiscal year."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jobs_created_during_U.S._presidential_terms

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 04:56 PM

42. Conservatives don't understand economics...

They only understand microeconomics (i.e. how supply and demand sets prices, etc...). They don't understand the big picture, i.e. macroeconomics. Of course there's a reason why what people are taught in school is biased towards microeconomics. Most people who study economics become business majors. Then of course they aren't interested in macroeconomics. They only care about how to maximize the efficiency of a firm, i.e. "how can I make more money.". That's why they don't give a shit about things like Keynesian or more modern theories of finance and money circulations.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread