Wed Dec 5, 2012, 11:16 PM
xxxsdesdexxx (213 posts)
Protect and Expand Voting Rights
Donít forget about the Republican Partyís effort to disenfranchise voters on in the last election. I urge you to remind your members of Congress to introduce legislation making it easier for the American people to vote. Also contact the President so that he knows the American people want this.
Some ideas which would make it easier to vote would include:
1) Change Election Day to the first Saturday in November since more people have Saturday off than Tuesday.
2) Make it so that in-person voting is available up to 2 weeks in advance of Election Day Ė including weekends -- in all states, and make sure that the polls are open 9:00 AM Ė 5:00 PM with all voters in line by 4:30 PM being allowed to vote.
3) Allow absentee voting in all 50 states and encourage and promote citizens to vote absentee in order to shorten lines at polling places.
4) Create an independent commission in each state that decides which votes are kept, and which votes are thrown out, rather than having a partisan Secretary of State decide.
5) Support Barbara Boxer in achieving National Polling Place Standards
Contact your representative and tell them that you want legislation which makes it easier for Americanís to vote.
Contact your Senators and tell them that you want legislation which makes it easier for Americanís to vote.
Contact the President of the United States and tell him that you want legislation which makes it easier for Americanís to vote.
If you have any other ideas feel free to comment on them here and also make sure to let the President and your members of Congress know.
4 replies, 650 views
Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Protect and Expand Voting Rights (Original post)