HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Please Stop This Man From...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 05:21 PM

Please Stop This Man From Screwing Over Senior Citizens

2 replies, 831 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Please Stop This Man From Screwing Over Senior Citizens (Original post)
johnlennon_shallrise Dec 2012 OP
MichiganVote Dec 2012 #1
libdem4life Dec 2012 #2

Response to johnlennon_shallrise (Original post)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 05:37 PM

2. AARP...the largest lobby for seniors. You don't have to be a senior to call. Please forward.

Do it twice...one for each Senator. Thanks.

Dear
Right now, some in Washington want to cut your Social Security benefits as part of an eleventh-hour budget deal.
AARP volunteers are on Capitol Hill today but your senators need to hear from you too.
Call 1-800-323-2230 today and tell your senators to reject cuts to Social Security as part of a last-minute budget deal!

It's been all over the news: Congress has to make a deal on the budget before the holidays. But some in Washington are pushing to cut your Social Security benefits as part of a last-minute budget deal.
Some proposals on the table would hurt current and future beneficiaries by cutting the cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) money taken directly out of your pocket.
Today, AARP volunteers from around the country are on Capitol Hill speaking out against these cuts. Making a phone call to your senators will make sure the message is heard loud and clear don't cut Social Security in a last-minute budget deal.
It's quick and easy to make your call, and it will make a big impact. Here's what to do:
1. Dial 1-800-323-2230, and follow the prompts to enter your zip code. Then press "1" to connect to your first senator.
2. A staff person will answer the phone. Just tell that person where you're calling from, and that you strongly urge your senator to oppose any cuts to Social Security as part of a last-minute budget deal.
3. Your call could end here. However, if you like, you can add that:

o Changing the way my COLA is calculated will take money directly out of my pocket as well as the pockets of my children and grandchildren.
o Any changes to Social Security should look to strengthen the program and be part of an open and thoughtful public discussion.
4. Since both of your senators have a stake in this debate, please call 1-800-323-2230 again to get connected to your second senator's office. Once again enter your zip code, then press "2" to be connected with your second senator.
5. Once you've ended your call, click here to tell us how it went!
Congress could cut your benefits any day. Speak up now.
Sincerely,
Fred Griesbach
AARP Campaigns

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread