HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » So the Bush Tax cuts expi...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 12:44 PM

So the Bush Tax cuts expire. I can live with that. In fact, I would prefer it.

I have to shake my head and wonder aloud how it is that we as Democrats, find ourselves in a position, where President Obama is using his 'political capital' advocating for continuing permanently the Bush-era tax cuts for 98% and having to possibly concede ground to the remaining 2%. Black has now become White, and Up is now Down.

Those earning more than $200,000 per year benefited the most from the Bush era tax cuts, while the deficits exploded due to two tax cuts, two wars on the credit card, a medicare tax benefit which doesn't allow the government to negotiate drug rates as they do for the VA, and the collapse of the financial industry in 2008 due to lax regulations and speculative gambling in the mortgage industry.

So now those who threw the party, and crashed the market, but continue to benefit the most from it, and continue to prosper from the rigged system, want to do nothing to contribute to the growing deficit while continuing to hide behind the lie that they are the "job creators" a myth which has been dispelled and continues to exist only in the minds of John Boehner and a carefully crafted Frank Lutz focus group.

I would rather have all the tax cuts expire, and force the rates back up to the Clinton era tax rates, capital gains rates, inheritance tax rates, etc. so that we increase the revenue coming in, since no Congress will ever, ever be able to pass a tax increase ever again because it will be politically impossible. This Congress will attempt to balance the deficit on the backs of the working class by eliminating the mortgage interest deduction, and state income tax deductions for those of us in high housing cost areas, further turning our homes into a money pit. If we should survive to age 65 with anything resembling a middle class intact, we will have to fight each other for the remaining crumbs left over, it any.

5 replies, 737 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply So the Bush Tax cuts expire. I can live with that. In fact, I would prefer it. (Original post)
politicaljunkie41910 Dec 2012 OP
Morganfleeman Dec 2012 #1
bemildred Dec 2012 #2
Rider3 Dec 2012 #3
forestpath Dec 2012 #4
Justice Dec 2012 #5

Response to politicaljunkie41910 (Original post)

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 12:48 PM

1. Agreed.

Rolling off the fiscal cliff is probably the best thing over the long term for the U.S. fiscal situation.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to politicaljunkie41910 (Original post)

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 12:51 PM

2. Yep, bring it. nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to politicaljunkie41910 (Original post)

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 01:13 PM

3. Yes indeed...

We need to just go over the "fiscal cliff." It's the only way we'll be able to renegotiate tax breaks for the middle class.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to politicaljunkie41910 (Original post)

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 01:19 PM

4. K&R

 

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to politicaljunkie41910 (Original post)

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 01:24 PM

5. Incredibly well stated.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread