HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Dear President Obama: Sto...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:29 PM

Dear President Obama: Stop Telling Me to Tell Congress What to Do

This is one of the several reasons public approval rating of Congress is in the toilet: they've been playing useless partisan politix so long they apparently no longer know what their actual job is.

If I have to be reminded day in and day out what MY job is, I'd be fired-- and justifiably so.

Me having to TELL Congress what their job is-- is akin to me DOING THEIR JOB FOR THEM. I already have a job.

this is not representational government, it's farce and absurdity.

69 replies, 6426 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 69 replies Author Time Post
Reply Dear President Obama: Stop Telling Me to Tell Congress What to Do (Original post)
Iggy Dec 2012 OP
Angry Dragon Dec 2012 #1
lsewpershad Dec 2012 #28
Angry Dragon Dec 2012 #43
peacebird Dec 2012 #2
Iggy Dec 2012 #4
peacebird Dec 2012 #7
AnotherMcIntosh Dec 2012 #17
peacebird Dec 2012 #19
AnotherMcIntosh Dec 2012 #21
peacebird Dec 2012 #23
LukeFL Dec 2012 #45
AnotherMcIntosh Dec 2012 #46
Kelvin Mace Dec 2012 #3
Iggy Dec 2012 #8
bluerum Dec 2012 #5
xfundy Dec 2012 #6
TeacherB87 Dec 2012 #9
Iggy Dec 2012 #12
AnotherMcIntosh Dec 2012 #18
Iggy Dec 2012 #20
AnotherMcIntosh Dec 2012 #22
AnotherMcIntosh Dec 2012 #24
TeacherB87 Dec 2012 #44
Liberal_Stalwart71 Dec 2012 #61
Jennicut Dec 2012 #67
frazzled Dec 2012 #10
rainin Dec 2012 #11
Iggy Dec 2012 #14
freshwest Dec 2012 #41
Iggy Dec 2012 #51
freshwest Dec 2012 #54
LukeFL Dec 2012 #53
Lucinda Dec 2012 #13
Iggy Dec 2012 #15
julian09 Dec 2012 #25
Iggy Dec 2012 #29
Mz Pip Dec 2012 #26
Iggy Dec 2012 #31
SouthernDonkey Dec 2012 #48
AnotherMcIntosh Dec 2012 #16
ItsTheMediaStupid Dec 2012 #27
savalez Dec 2012 #47
Thinkingabout Dec 2012 #30
Iggy Dec 2012 #33
NYC Liberal Dec 2012 #32
Iggy Dec 2012 #35
NYC Liberal Dec 2012 #37
SouthernDonkey Dec 2012 #49
Iggy Dec 2012 #50
Liberal_Stalwart71 Dec 2012 #63
Liberal_Stalwart71 Dec 2012 #62
Iggy Dec 2012 #69
Jake2413 Dec 2012 #36
Jake2413 Dec 2012 #39
Neon2012 Dec 2012 #34
union_maid Dec 2012 #38
Jennicut Dec 2012 #66
TomCADem Dec 2012 #40
treestar Dec 2012 #42
Liberal_Stalwart71 Dec 2012 #64
One of the 99 Dec 2012 #52
forestpath Dec 2012 #55
DebJ Dec 2012 #56
Iggy Dec 2012 #57
DebJ Dec 2012 #58
Iggy Dec 2012 #59
Liberal_Stalwart71 Dec 2012 #60
lunatica Dec 2012 #65
mary195149 Dec 2012 #68

Response to Iggy (Original post)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:35 PM

1. They belong on the unemployment line

except we know they would just go and be lobbyists

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Angry Dragon (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 08:49 PM

28. Getting them on the unemployment line

is the voters job.

Reply to this post

Response to lsewpershad (Reply #28)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 11:42 PM

43. Easier said than done

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:37 PM

2. We have to tell comgress what we expect them to do, otherwise they will simply do lobbyists bidding

We need to rise up in such force that they fear being cast out of their jobs. We need to remind them that the opinions of We The People are the opinions that matter.

Reply to this post

Response to peacebird (Reply #2)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:39 PM

4. You've Got To Be Kidding Me....

Reply to this post

Response to Iggy (Reply #4)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:44 PM

7. No actually. Contact your congress folk, like President Obama is saying. Our voices ARE heard, when

there are enough of them.

Support the President. Call your congress members. What have you to lose?

Reply to this post

Response to peacebird (Reply #7)

Response to AnotherMcIntosh (Reply #17)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 07:09 PM

19. Actually I contact Webb & Warner several times a month. I have done so for years.

The office of John Warner used to send out ntelligent responses to my email or letters. Even if I did not agree I at least could understand and respect his reasoning. Sadly Mark Warner, not so much.

I do not expect them to always switch to my position, BUT if we do not tell them what our positions and desires are then we cannot expect them to govern as we desire.

Reply to this post

Response to peacebird (Reply #19)

Response to AnotherMcIntosh (Reply #21)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 07:26 PM

23. Peace yourself! And yes, John Warner and Jim Moran both sent good responses. Mark Warner, no, sadly.

Reply to this post

Response to AnotherMcIntosh (Reply #21)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 12:36 AM

45. Try living n a southern (DEEP RED)state

Where your Sebators are Red/ repubs.
They are hard headache and don't really care to oppose you( constituent) even in plain day light.

If you don't like- tough love.

Reply to this post

Response to LukeFL (Reply #45)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:39 PM

3. Ummm...

Not to defend the virtually indefensible, but they are your representative. To represent you, they have to know what you want them to do.

Also, if you won't tell them what to do, paid lobbyists will.

Reply to this post

Response to Kelvin Mace (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:44 PM

8. Another Kidder....

Here's what I want: some simple, basic common sense.

If congress does not ALREADY know what that is-- clearly they are dumber than a fence post and again, it's no wonder their public approval rating is in the crapper.

BTW, you and others here don't have much proof Congress is actually listening to us, you realize that, right?

Prime example being polling showing the majority of us wanted the Iraq farce to END.. polling done years before the so-called pullout actually happened. another example being millions of us want pot decriminalized.

WELL? when is the ever attentive Congress going to make this happen?

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:40 PM

5. There is a famous river in Egypt

I am sure you are well aquainted with it

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:43 PM

6. Dear Iggy:

Meet NORE. I'm sure you two have met many times before.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:47 PM

9. Not sure of your logic here...

Someone WILL be trying to influence Congress, one way or another. Yes, we keep electing the same partisan shills who don't have consistent and rational viewpoints most of the time, but to argue that you are going to be annoyed if you have to speak up and make your voice heard on these critical issues, that makes no sense to me. Furthermore, President Obama et. al. wouldn't have to send out these little txt reminders if the broad swath of progressive Americans would simply realize that their obligation as American citizens extends past the voting booth.

I'm sorry, but we can't expect to outmaneuver the hard right in this country unless we speak louder and more consistently than they do. If we can do that, then the media narrative and the nature of compromise in our politics will dramatically change for the better.

I personally think its high time we ad vocal credence to our views and not just complain about having to do so on political blogs.

Reply to this post

Response to TeacherB87 (Reply #9)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:54 PM

12. Tell Ya What.....

You and everyone else in Bloggo world buying into Obama's orders-- please call your congressperson and tell them what to do. let me know how that works out for you all.

the week prior to leaving Washington this summer for FIVE weeks, congress spent a week or so naming post offices. I did not, and I suspect you did not tell them to do that. THEY decided it was a priority.

catch my drift?

Reply to this post

Response to Iggy (Reply #12)

Response to AnotherMcIntosh (Reply #18)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 07:14 PM

20. uhhhhh, Please re-read my post

I'm beginning to see the problem here....

Reply to this post

Response to Iggy (Reply #20)

Response to Iggy (Reply #20)

Response to Iggy (Reply #12)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 11:55 PM

44. Buying into Obama's orders?

So now, because I expressed an opinion in favor of progressives being more vocal, I am "buying in to Obama's orders." Neither am I suggesting that anyone should buy into his "orders" nor am I suggesting that one phone call will solve the problem enumerated in my first reply. All I'm saying is that, in every way possible, we need to do what we can to put public pressure on Congress to pass progressive legislation. This includes phone calls, grassroots organizations, petitions, protests etc etc. With all of the corporate money inundating our Congressional representatives, it's hard to understand how they would feel pressured to give a shit if we don't exist in a public way. Is this incorrect?

Your reply still doesn't address the problem I identified in my first reply, which is that many progressives seem to think that their only political responsibility is to vote and then complain when their silence doesn't accomplish what they want. To be sure, many progressive are busy, hard-working people. But that is all the more reason for those of us that can to speak out and make our views known in more than one way.

Complaining about how Congress names post offices doesn't really address the core issue. Which is that many of us seem to think its OK that we consistently express ourselves, almost solely, on blogs to other people that agree with us already.

Reply to this post

Response to TeacherB87 (Reply #44)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 07:52 AM

61. Sounds like the OP's post is more about hating Obama than holding Congressional Republicans

accountable. So what else is new at DU.

Trashing this thread.

Reply to this post

Response to TeacherB87 (Reply #44)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:38 AM

67. "Express ourselves, almost solely" on blogs to other people that agree with us already".

Pretty much sums it up right there. I love DU, but it is a haven of safety. You cannot only talk to those that are exactly like you and expect anything to change. That certainly is not what the right wing and teabaggers have done. They got up in everyone's face in 2010 and look what happened.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:48 PM

10. Yeah, just let all the right-wingers write their Congress people

We should just shut up. WTF?

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:49 PM

11. What would you have him do?

My republican senators got 60% of the vote. If democratic and progressive constituents don't speak up, what influence will we have?

If you say we have zero influence whether we speak up or not, I might just cynically agree, but then we are back to "What would you have him do?"

Reply to this post

Response to rainin (Reply #11)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:57 PM

14. Obama should not have to be doing this, period

did we not just have this ludicrous battle? how many more times is this "necessary"?

we have, oh, at least a dozen crucial issues that need immediate attention. it's time to work on those issues, not just the same one over and over again.

Reply to this post

Response to Iggy (Reply #14)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 10:04 PM

41. How many more times is every day, just like baggers meet in their districts. We give up, they win.

The Koch brothers are funding the media to tell us it's only about a vote every four years. It isn't. The proof is what has happened in the states that elect congress. Waiting for someone else, or not getting involved, is exactly what they want, so they can keep on winning.

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #41)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 06:41 AM

51. This black/white, win/lose concept is total nonsense

What is your idea of "winning"? Going to Red State and other freeper sites and gloating about your candidate winning?

It appears you're another victim of media HYPE, i.e. the so called power of the teabagger mob. Are you aware public support of the tea party has dropped by nearly fifty percent?

what exactly are they winning? teabagger doofs like Mourdick and Akin lost their races, remember?

Reply to this post

Response to Iggy (Reply #51)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 11:00 AM

54. No, just seeing the reality of people doing without because they vote against social safety nets. In

Last edited Mon Dec 3, 2012, 01:50 PM - Edit history (2)

my state the Democrats won the major races, but the 'starving the beast' crowd is still pushing privatization of the things that Democrats want for everyone which privatization does not protect. We are losing public roads to them because they insist that high tolls be paid to their buddies. Now citizens are having to drive many miles out of the way because they can't afford the toll, on roads that were once part of our tax base to maintain.

It is the GOP philosophy that it be that way, not the Democratic Party, and they vote accordingly and resist infrastructure unless they get the contracts. They've made inroad in child protective services and other agencies, and their belief is that first, these aren't needed, that jail and the streets is where these people belong. Why do I say this? I read their letters to the editors, listen to their arguments in th legislature and city council meetings.

Have you ever been involved in organizing to save schools, parks, housing, services for the vulnerable or needy, or anything like that? Do you stand aloof and look down on those who do?

There is a black and white when you are dealing with people who campaign against labor unions, public workers, public assistance and health care. We have a half and half and in our state legislature, and when people call the parties the same, or want people to not speak out to the people they worked to elect to effect the policies they ran, on what is the result of that?

Is your solution to not do anything but vote once every four years, no matter what changes occur from natural disaster, long term disaster rom lack of funding from recalcitrant groups who fight you at any turn?

That is your right, but that attitude didn't elect Obama. In my state, the baggers here are not going by the same name in some public venues, but when you read their campaign literature, it has all the buzzwords. There are a lot of lies and shenanigans going on, in fact we had the GOP going around trying to con people out of their votes to toss in the trash no doubt. The Democrats are not doing that, so that's not media hype, but reality,

When these folks are elected, they obstruct and cut everything. The groups that organize and speak to their GOP representatives from churches put forth anti-abortion, anti-morning after pills, anti- same sex rights, and anti-public schools measures on the ballot. They have publicly announced that they intend to stop the flow of taxes because they want 'government reduced to the size it can be drowned in a bathtub.'

Just because we are seeing some media stories saying they have lost, does not mean any of them have changed their minds one bit. And they are organizing daily. They want for example, to have public schools shut down, to be replaced with religious schools and charters. If we don't continue to support what we say we believe in, their voices are not going to go away. I've been in a lot of meeting with real people who will go the distance to defeat all the things that Democrats believe, I don't need to go to freeper sites or brag about winning with them. I see them face to face. Where did you get that notion that this is my focus, even if we do cut up here at DU, that is Democratic U, anyway?

If you/re peddling not voting/being involved, or some CT about it all being a big joke, that's not what many think. If you don't like my solution, please offer yours other than mocking Obama for asking us to keep on being involved. Any research of experience dealing with real life GOP shows they are not refusing to get involved or call their representatives, which we have he same right to do. There is something to win or lose, when you live a life involved with people they care about,

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #41)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 09:34 AM

53. I agree

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:57 PM

13. They are in congress to represent you. They can't do that unless they know what you want. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to Lucinda (Reply #13)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 07:00 PM

15. LOL... Thus if I go into Work Tomorrow

and tell my (rather busy) boss; "Please tell me what my job is today, I don't know what to do..."

What do you think would happen if I demonstrated this level of incompetence and ignorance??

Reply to this post

Response to Iggy (Reply #15)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 08:16 PM

25. It's a good job, Rachel said this week, congress will work about one third of calender year in 2013.

not like they have nothing to do. They can have their staff answer calls do the work and take messages.
I'd like a job working 122 days a year, with pensions, health care, and have somebody (staff) do my work for me, taxpayer paid trips.
One hundred twenty two days a year equals 2.3 days a week or 19 hours a week. Isn't that under the 30 hours to qualify for benefits.

Reply to this post

Response to julian09 (Reply #25)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:02 PM

29. Heckuva Gig!

You forgot to mention the salary for this 122 day per year "job"-- what is it? $170K per year?

right: primo health care bennies.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, eh?

Reply to this post

Response to Iggy (Reply #15)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 08:35 PM

26. We should be the boss of Congress

not the other way around.

If the only peiple they hear from are the fringe Teabaggers and no one else, then who do you think they think they are representing?

Congress needs to hear from all of their constituents, not just the ones who grovel at the feet of Grover NOrquist.

Reply to this post

Response to Mz Pip (Reply #26)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:09 PM

31. Correct-- To a Degree

what I'm seeing/hearing here and elsewhere in Bloggo world is I'm supposed to DO THINGS for Congress. errrrrrrrr, I thought it was their job to DO THINGS for me?? obviously something is very wrong with this picture.

as far as the teabagger mob (which BTW has lost fifty percent of its supporters according to recent polling) and the tax evasion crowd: let's stop pretending they have as much sway over congress as say, ExxonMobile or General Electric. that's the equivalent of the nonsense frequently stated here-- FAUX News has this enormous power over people and can "turn liberals into raving right wingnuts".

gimme a break.

Reply to this post

Response to Iggy (Reply #31)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 03:17 AM

48. I get your frustration.

Do I think my emails will influence my reps at all? I doubt it. But I did it anyway. I don't believe in pacs. I think they should be outlawed. But I payed into one through my union for many years. I stand with the folks here who say "let them know how you feel". At the very least, when my Republican Representatives and Senators repeat the lies like they did for the last four years that "the American people demand (insert right wing bullshit here)" I can feel at least a little better knowing they didn't hear it from me. And knowing they are accountable to me. If I felt that was a waste of my time, I'd feel even more so about the time I spent on DU talking so much about it, where there was absolutely no chance in influencing a change. Besides... I'm retired. I have nothing but time to pester my reps! And I can tell my busy boss to stick it up his busy butt if I want to!

Cheers!

Reply to this post

Response to Lucinda (Reply #13)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 08:44 PM

27. Dear Iggy - Right now you're part of the problem

Continue to apathetically do nothing or write your congress critters.

Do Nothing=problem

Take Action=Solution

Reply to this post

Response to ItsTheMediaStupid (Reply #27)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 02:32 AM

47. I agree. We've got to put pressure on them.

They've got to feel it from all sides - petitions, phone calls, town halls, everything.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:02 PM

30. I wrote to my representative today, John Culberson R-TX, who thinks we have a spending problem,

And not a Revenue problem. I looked up his voting record, from 2001 to 2007 he voted Yea on almost everything, spending money on two unfunded wars and other issues. Then beginning in 2007 he started voting nay on almost everything, then beginning in 2011 the yeas returned. He did not have the spending problem with Bush and to make up for overspending he helped reduce revenue. Now he does not want to pay the bills he helped to create. Typical repub, does not know how to govern just obstruct, dead heads.

Reply to this post

Response to Thinkingabout (Reply #30)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:19 PM

33. Good Take...

Unfortunately your rep sounds incredibly ignorant.

Do you really believe your letter will EVER be read and taken seriously by this astonishing buffoon? according to some here, your letter is going to make a HUGE difference on how this guy thinks and acts in congress.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:16 PM

32. The attitude in this post represents the biggest problem with our country right now.

Too many people, like the OP apparently, have this passive attitude towards our government where our civic duty ends at the ballot box.

Their job is to represent you. Constant vigilance and citizen participation are part and parcel of a representative democracy.

Why do you think the right to "petition the Government for a redress of grievances" is specifically protected by the first amendment?

Reply to this post

Response to NYC Liberal (Reply #32)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:24 PM

35. Unfortunately, As I Stated Upstream

you and the other starry-eyed dreamers here have yet to address the numerous examples of recent demands of the people being totally ignored by Congress and the President. another prime example being Obama laughing out loud when asked about pot decriminalization-- it's a joke to him. it's irrelevant to him and most members of congress that millions of us want the idiotic, waste of money pot laws changed.

"Sorry", you cannot just state a particular thing is happening when in fact it is not.

WHY do you think fifty percent of eligible voters don't bother to show up on election day?

Russia has better voter participation than we do.

Reply to this post

Response to Iggy (Reply #35)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:43 PM

37. So your solution is, what, exactly? Not do anything?

Great. Then they'll do an even shittier job.

You fail to realize that the reason Congress has gotten so bad is because too many people have checked out with exactly the attitude you have. They don't feel the need to participate beyond showing up at the ballot box every 2 or 4 years.

You know why politicians in DC can brush off legalization of marijuana? Because they can do so without suffering any consequences from the public. How many members of Congress lost because they opposed it? Too many people are doing exactly what you propose: they're just sitting at home complaining and not putting pressure on Congress.

Reply to this post

Response to NYC Liberal (Reply #37)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 03:20 AM

49. +1,000

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 06:31 AM

50. I'm Not Telling You, or Anyone, What to Do

If you think congress is listening to us, again you have no actual proof of this, then by all means call your congressperson daily, write letters and so forth.

I am simply telling folks what I am going to do: NOT contact my congressperson, because if by now he does not know what his job is, the situation is hopeless and no amount of communication from me or anyone else is going to change this.

Reply to this post

Response to Iggy (Reply #50)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 07:58 AM

63. Well, then good for you. If all you're going to do is sit on the "Bloggo" whine and complain, you're

just as bad, if not worse, than the rest of us who have so much contempt for.

I proudly trash your thread because it is counterproductive and a waste of my time, some of which I will use to hold my congressman accountable by CALLING him!!

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 07:56 AM

62. No. Throughout this thread, his point has been to belittle the rest of us with his self righteousnes

and basically call us silly for daring to hold our leaders accountable. Actually, the bigger point is to demonize the president. I have no time for it.

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_Stalwart71 (Reply #62)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 06:34 PM

69. HUH?? Facing Reality is "Self Righteous"?!!!!!

gimme a break.

as I've pointed out, YOU nor anyone else here has proven to me Congress actually listens to us, actually cares... I on the other hand, have tons of proof Congress is NOT listening when it comes to several major policy issues.

Examples:

1.) The Iraq war quagmire: took 3-4 for years to end it, even tho' for years polling indicated we wanted it to end.

2.) Millions of us want pot at the least decriminalized nationally, if not outright legal. A few months ago, Obama laughed out loud when presented with this subject. It's amusing to him, and presumably to Congress as well, since they ignore this issue.

3.) Millions of us wanted a single payer, mobile health care program-- like other wayyyy more advanced first world nations have.

Need I go on????

If the above examples, which merely scratch the surface of the massive problem Congress is-- are not enough proof for you, then obviously you are in deep, deep denial.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:52 PM

39. It is our job to tell our Representatives want we expect of them

keep the pressure up. Unfortunately Joe Walsh is my rep and he and I will never agree on anything but I keep letting him know what my expectations are and when he embarrasses me with his rants. Thank God it is only for two more months.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:20 PM

34. I'm not sure participation is all that effective either,

but it's obviously more effective to encourage it than to discourage it.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:47 PM

38. Remember 2005?

After the 2004 election Bush said, "Political capital. I haz it. We will now decimate...er....privatize...Social Security." The GOP congresscritters went forth to sell this to the constituents. These are the people who still think that Sadaam masterminded 911, so no problem, right? Wrong! They got sent back to DC with their tails between their legs. When it's important enough to the people, their voices are sometimes heard. Not trying to be heard absolutely guarantees that you won't be.

Reply to this post

Response to union_maid (Reply #38)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:31 AM

66. Exactly. To say that representational democracy does not ever work is a farce.

And as a liberal to say I should be more apathetic is just blasphemy to me. I don't care if they hardly ever listen in Congress, I still won't sit around and not let my voice be heard.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 10:01 PM

40. Sure Thing. Once The Right Wing Agrees To Disarm As Well

It seems like corporate America is dumping millions of dollars on astroturf campaigns. Remember the healthcare reform debate with Fox News working hand in hand with Freedomworks to create astroturf campaigns designed to generate opposition to healthcare reform.

Where they doing this for nothing? Of course not. The fact of the matter is that citizen involvement is effective. This is why corporate America is willing to spend millions to create false grassroots campaigns and why we need to continnue to be involved from the left.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 10:53 PM

42. Well they have to know what people want

WTF is wrong with telling your congressperson or Senators how you think on an issue? Are they supposed to read your mind? Take polls? If they take polls and majority in your district want them to vote a different way than you do, are they allowed to do that? They represent not just you but the whole district.

Reply to this post

Response to treestar (Reply #42)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 08:00 AM

64. The Teabaggers/ReThugs NEVER stop calling their members. NEVER!! The OP expects us to?

It tells me that this is a lot more about Obama than us calling our members of Congress.

The OP is transparent. Don't fall for it.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 08:59 AM

52. This is what the left did wrong 4 years ago.

After the election they thought their job was done and went home. At the same time the tea party was mobilizing. Part of the job of a good citizen is not to get involved only around election time. It is year round. We have to remain engaged to let our elected officials know what we support and don't support. Otherwise they'll only listen to those who shout the loadest.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 12:51 PM

55. I don't need President Obama to tell me to do it; I do it already. But I ALSO contact

the White House on a regular basis regarding SS, Medicare, and Medicaid.

And, I've contacted ALL of them to tell them I'm willing to go over the cliff.

But frankly, I still have not heard one unequivocal statement in support of protecting SS, Medicare, and Medicaid from any actual reduction in benefits - just a lot of weasel politician-y words.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 12:59 PM

56. Totally disagree with you here. Everyone needs to be calling all the time,

year in, year out. Put them on speed dial. That is how representative government works.
If the people don't do that, then they go to the highest bidder.

Reply to this post

Response to DebJ (Reply #56)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 09:35 PM

57. LOL.....

so they're not already going to the highest bidder??

Reply to this post

Response to Iggy (Reply #57)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 03:18 AM

58. When they do, it is because people are not calling and not voting them out.

Reply to this post

Response to DebJ (Reply #58)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 06:02 AM

59. NOT Voting Them Out..

correct, and that includes 95% of the "democrats" in congress.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 07:50 AM

60. He's *asking* you to call Congress because it works! It really does scare the shit out of them

to have their constituencies call and remain involved.

It actually IS our duty to not only stay informed, but to hold our elected officials accountable.

Besides, we seem to go out of our way to attack the president when he's wrong, calling him and placing the blame on him. What about Congress? The Republicans want us to blame the president instead of them. It's about time that we start blaming those truly reponsible for the impasse: Congressional Republicans (and the cowardly Democrats who vote alongside them).

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:14 AM

65. I understand what you mean

But I've known too many people who don't want to be bothered with Congress doing their jobs. They figure they already elected someone to do it and think they're actually doing it.

During the last months I had to actually educate women on what's been happening in so many states regarding abortion and rape issues. Most of their first reactions were the same as mine was at first. That those issued have been settled and that trying to turn the clock back will never happen. Ha!

We do need to be vigilant. It's our government. We're the boss.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:48 AM

68. People hold the power,

People have always held the power. No special interest groups can overcome the people. You see what happened on the election. The people have spoken.
When people decided to stand up against Companies such as Papa Johns, Dennys, Applebees, etc for wanting to cut back hours of their employees to avoid offering health insurance, you see what happened.
Macy's sales down, because people decided to avoid shopping their until Donald Trump's line of clothes are not sold there.

We have to call our congress people. We are the ones that hold the power!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread