HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Ann Romney Might Be Takin...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 05:23 PM

Ann Romney Might Be Taking This Loss Harder Than Mitt

Anntoinette has a right to be upset. After all, Willard promised her she would be queen if she smiled and touched enough poor people for a year.

If you're wondering how the Romney family is holding up post-election loss, the answer is: not well. Mitt has resorted to retail therapy, and Ann might be the most disappointed Romney of all.

The Washington Post's Phillip Rucker has a furiously reported update on what, exactly, Mitt is doing with all of his free time now that he isn't running a campaign. The answer? Not much. The Atlantic's Molly Ball probably put it best on Twitter: "Mitt Romney is bored."

(...)

But the owner of the most tragic anecdote in the whole story is Mitt's wife, Ann, who really isn't taking things well:

By all accounts, the past month has been most difficult on Romney’s wife, Ann, who friends said believed up until the end that ascending to the White House was their destiny. They said she has been crying in private and trying to get back to riding her horses.

http://news.yahoo.com/ann-romney-might-taking-loss-harder-mitt-231529114.html

48 replies, 5372 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 48 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ann Romney Might Be Taking This Loss Harder Than Mitt (Original post)
Adenoid_Hynkel Dec 2012 OP
LineReply .
graywarrior Dec 2012 #1
RKP5637 Dec 2012 #4
BeyondGeography Dec 2012 #2
RKP5637 Dec 2012 #3
silverweb Dec 2012 #5
ElboRuum Dec 2012 #9
LeftishBrit Dec 2012 #6
RKP5637 Dec 2012 #17
TheCowsCameHome Dec 2012 #7
SummerSnow Dec 2012 #35
calimary Dec 2012 #47
Speck Tater Dec 2012 #8
davidpdx Dec 2012 #18
Thor_MN Dec 2012 #10
Douglas Carpenter Dec 2012 #11
Warren Religion Dec 2012 #48
Tutonic Dec 2012 #12
2naSalit Dec 2012 #13
democrattotheend Dec 2012 #14
yellowcanine Dec 2012 #15
John2 Dec 2012 #23
grasswire Dec 2012 #33
jenmito Dec 2012 #16
dballance Dec 2012 #19
hrmjustin Dec 2012 #20
lunatica Dec 2012 #21
smirkymonkey Dec 2012 #22
courseofhistory Dec 2012 #24
LiberalFighter Dec 2012 #25
Permanut Dec 2012 #26
dixiegrrrrl Dec 2012 #27
brewens Dec 2012 #28
Kalidurga Dec 2012 #29
Kath1 Dec 2012 #30
Dan Dec 2012 #31
calimary Dec 2012 #44
The Velveteen Ocelot Dec 2012 #32
renate Dec 2012 #40
NBachers Dec 2012 #34
Sunlei Dec 2012 #36
Liberal_Stalwart71 Dec 2012 #37
lonestarnot Dec 2012 #38
Bake Dec 2012 #39
RudynJack Dec 2012 #41
calimary Dec 2012 #46
PlanetBev Dec 2012 #42
politicaljunkie41910 Dec 2012 #43
calimary Dec 2012 #45

Response to Adenoid_Hynkel (Original post)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 05:24 PM

1. .

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to graywarrior (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 05:29 PM

4. Yep, Ditto! n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 05:26 PM

2. Get her some help, Mitt

It's overdue.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 05:28 PM

3. I'm glad she's crying and not all of us if the results had been reversed. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to RKP5637 (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 05:34 PM

5. You can say that again!

In fact, I will, with added emphasis: "I'm glad she's crying and not all of us if the results had been reversed."

I have exactly as much sympathy for Ann as she has for 98% of other people.

Reply to this post

Response to RKP5637 (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 05:47 PM

9. Well lets see...

Her tears and a big pile of enraged, despondent teabaggers but a majority of relieved electorate.

Seems legit. Yeah, I can accept that.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 05:42 PM

6. Well, I suppose that losing an election is always disappointing

But I can't say I have as much sympathy for this extremely rich couple, as I do for the people who are unemployed as a result of the savage cuts promoted by those on the Right.

Reply to this post

Response to LeftishBrit (Reply #6)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:44 PM

17. She and Mitt will be just fine, even if Mitt is looking for a job! What's a charming

sociopath to do, sooo restless.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 05:45 PM

7. Maybe he can buy her some third-world country

where she can boss everyone around.

Reply to this post

Response to TheCowsCameHome (Reply #7)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 07:18 AM

35. Wonder what she will name it...

Annastonia?
Annmerica?
Annapolis..oops that's taken
Annprussia
Great Annaland

Just a few suggestions. Lol

Reply to this post

Response to SummerSnow (Reply #35)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 01:58 AM

47. Welcome to DU, SummerSnow!

Happy to have you here! Sounds like an interesting parlor game. I like yours! I'd suggest Annesia, perhaps? Just for old time's sake! Memories of the campaign!

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 05:45 PM

8. OMG! If I had know she would take it so hard, I would have voted for Mitt.

NOT!

Reply to this post

Response to Speck Tater (Reply #8)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 07:05 PM

18. I still have a copy of my electronic ballot

I could print it off and mail it to them with a pity vote just to make them feel worse.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 05:53 PM

10. We could use some rain

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 05:57 PM

11. on the human level - I can understand the disappointment -but were they not following the election?

Were they not following indicators like the derivative prediction markets, London bookies or any of the countless nonpartisan political science statisticians? Why were they shocked? Disappointed, sure - who wouldn't be? But it's like they had no idea that they had a shot at winning- but basically a long shot? How could they have not known that?

Reply to this post

Response to Douglas Carpenter (Reply #11)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 04:51 AM

48. "Human level"?

The Romneys aren't programmed for that.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 05:59 PM

12. She's probably at home still trying to wash the stench of "poverty"

of of her genteel and porcelain like hands.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:21 PM

13. Awwww...

She's really upset because her perception of "their destiny" was that they could have their own planet without dying first... as the LDS doctrine promises that the man shall inherit his own planet to populate with his spouse(s) in their next life... seems she's so attached to this one that she projected ownership on them whether the rest of us were in on it or not. She must not be into starting all over again since they almost "have it all" here.

I almost feel sorry for her... almost.

On edit: She was the one who was worried about mittens' mental condition if he won... guess she was projecting some of her own issues there too. With all that money, I'm sure they can afford to find someone to help her, even if all they can offer are psychotropic drugs.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:25 PM

14. Why are there so many threads about this?

Who cares about the Romneys? They lost. They are irrelevant. Why the continuing obsession with them on this forum?

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:37 PM

15. Amazing how little faith some people who claim to be Christians have.

If she believes in destiny then she should accept that she was wrong about that God has a different plan for her and Mitt. And damn, this is one more example of how she comes across as a "poor little rich girl." Does she still have her husband and family? Yes. Does she have enough to eat and wear and a roof over her head? Yes. Hard to feel too sorry for her. It really is.

Reply to this post

Response to yellowcanine (Reply #15)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 08:52 PM

23. I just think

she is love sick and feels bad for Mitt. She saw something in him this many years. She was very protective of him. You don't have to be President to create jobs. He has millions and should put it to use, instead of destroying jobs. If he really has ideas about how to create those so called 12 million jobs, then he should present those ideas to President Obama. Maybe the President would put him in charge. After all the President did say something about creating a jobs Czar. And if he does well at it, who knows.

Reply to this post

Response to John2 (Reply #23)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 11:54 PM

33. i just threw up in my mouth a little bit

Lovesick?

Too much information.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:39 PM

16. "It's OUR turn now," she said. Awwww-she was wrong. Poor baby. n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 07:08 PM

19. So Ann, I guess it wasn't Your Time after all

Ann,

You and your husband paraded around on talk shows like it was inevitable that you must become the President and First Lady. You said it was "our time" in an interview. That seems rather dominionist. In the end, it doesn't seem like God really came down on your side.

Your husband being the rich former CEO he is employed a legion of people who told him what he wanted to hear rather than tell him about reality. Just like when he was a CEO. Thank goodness he didn't win. I can't imagine the crap his acolytes in his cabinet or his advisors might have been willing to tell him as President. Every lickspittle on the right was lining up for an administration job that would propel them to a lucrative consulting or lobbying or talking head FOX network job.

You have at least four multi-million dollar homes. One of them allegedly has a car elevator.

You told us the heart-warming story of when you and Willard were in college and had to sell his stock to get cash to live on. Oh, that was so touching to all of us whose parents didn't give us stock so we worked multiple jobs and tried to study at the same time. I'm sure you never had to utter the phrase "would you like fries with that?"

In every interaction on the campaign trail where you had to interact with the common people you looked so uncomfortable. Your demeanor suggested the first thing you would want to do after an event and getting back to the hotel was take a shower to wash off all the contact with those nasty unwashed masses.

You and Willard never connected with people in the majority of the electorate. You couldn't. Given your privileged lives, and the distance always kept from the unwashed masses it's no wonder you couldn't connect. It was unfair to think you could.

Since your rich family and then Willard's rich family spent what ever it took to make sure you got whatever you wanted since the '70s it must have been quite a shock to not get what you wanted to become First Lady. There must be some terrible cognitive dissonance going on. Maybe you should consider the feelings us regular plebes have when we don't get that job after a job interview. There might be some of the same feelings of disappointment.

It must be a real bitch to stand down the decorators and send back the fabric swatches now that you won't get to re-decorate the White House.

I wish I could say I had the least bit of sympathy for you and Willard. But I don't. The US electorate recognized Willard as the lying, flip-flopping person he is. No one, not even the GOP, had the foggiest clue how he'd govern if elected. I believe most people who voted for Willard didn't really vote for him. They voted Republican or they voted against Obama. I'm sure there was a lot of nose-holding in voting booths on 11/6 as people either cast a ballot for Willard or just didn't vote at all in the Presidential race.

So here it is. No one really likes you or Willard. You are the epitome of rich assholes. Your personalities throughout the campaign proved that over and over again.

Looking at polls it seems that the places where Willard spent the most face-to-face time with voters broke against him. The logical conclusion is the more time people spent with Willard face-to-face the less they liked him. Imagine that. Let's review (paraphrased):

- I have friends who own NASCAR teams
- Those are nice rain coats
- Are those 7-11 cookies?
- I love cheesy grits
- 47% of people are takers who I'll never represent

and I know I'm missing some of the other great quotes.

So Ann, it's important to note you and Willard made a valiant effort. Despite the half a billion dollars Karl Rove and company spent it seems the US electorate ignored all the TV ads. They seemed to have awakened to the fact the banks and corporations are screwing them. In fact, it seems the awakening pissed them off so much they were willing to stand in line for 8-12 hours to vote.

You,Willard and the GOP are facing the electoral equivalent of the guillotine the French ruling class faced. You want to suggest we eat cake or do you want to suggest something more intelligent?

Reply to this post

Response to dballance (Reply #19)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 07:37 PM

20. +1!!!!

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 07:51 PM

21. Fucking aye!

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 08:02 PM

22. +1000

Great post. I wish you could say it to her face.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 08:54 PM

24. Boo, hoo! She

has had so much more in life than most people so I'don't feel sorry for her one iota. As a matter of fact, I was very off put by her statements about people getting used to the cuts her husband was going to make, etc. And I wonder how much her two statements about Mitt's mental health factored in. I know I would have run the opposite direction had I been supporting him before that.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 10:13 PM

25. What she is really crying about...

is that her taxes will be increased. Their tax evasion scams will be investigated and they will be prosecuted.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 10:19 PM

26. Dang, that's a sad story..

No, I can't do it. It's not a sad story, it's a delightful story, and I'm a bad person because I love it.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 10:19 PM

27. I can hear what she is saying in that pic

" Mitt, Mitt...look over there! 2 of those people are not applauding us! "

I swear to god, I cannot remember any campaign when the candidates wife looked so angry and peevish as often as Anne.
even pickles had that 1,000 yard stare and smile, no matter how often Georgie was falling on his face in front of her.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 10:26 PM

28. Poor dear! They have pills for that. Call Laura and ask who her doctor is. Link

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 10:28 PM

29. I hope it burns...

They deserve nothing less for the lives they have destroyed and were planning on destroying.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 11:23 PM

30. Boo woo, Ann!

Must be hard, knowing that the women of this country overwhelmingly rejected your husband's philosophy. A lot of women in this country believe in a woman's right over her own body and that the rich should pay their fair share. Wake up, sister.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 11:40 PM

31. a white horse?

Reply to this post

Response to Dan (Reply #31)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 08:56 PM

44. A white flag is more like it. Or should be.

It was and is NOT your destiny to be in the White House, your ladyship.

I'd rather she spend her free time crying - than see hundreds of thousands of poor families, middle-incomers, and single moms crying - while trying to raise a family on dirt "wages" from a boss who renegs on her benefits, or pensioners struggling just to get by and crying because they're forced yet again to choose between paying for their medications or food. Her ladyship can afford warehouses full of Kleenex or embroidered imported linen handkerchiefs with which to dry those tears. Others will be spared theirs - because wrongney was denied the chance to "run the country" and implement his Marie Antoinette Scrooge policies that benefit only other folks like him.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 11:47 PM

32. Usually I feel at least a little twinge of pity for the losers in a big election.

After all, running for any major office, especially president, is a tremendous amount of effort for the candidates and their spouses - and, of course, losing after all of that has to be extremely disappointing. So most of the time I feel at least a little sorry for the loser, even if that's someone I don't like - even McCain in '08, as much as I disliked him. He was, and still is, a dick. But unlike Romney, he at least recognized that he didn't automatically deserve to be president just because. He knew he'd have to work for it and realized he wasn't going to be able to just stroll into the White House like it was owed to him. In fact, I think he knew damn well by October that he was running behind (and that his choice of a running mate was a terrible mistake), and when he finally did lose he wasn't surprised - just disappointed. So I did feel just a flicker of pity for him during his concession speech (his subsequent and ongoing dickishness has thoroughly squelched that feeling, however).

The Romneys, on the other hand, did not evoke any pity at all. Mitt's dickishness exceeded McCain's by orders of magnitude, and Ann's snooty rich entitled princess shtick even outdid Cindy McCain's. If Ann is weepily smearing her mascara all over her $900 t-shirt, too fucking bad. If Mitt is pouting over those ungrateful 47%-ers, too fucking bad. I am wallowing in Schadenfreude right now. I try not to be a mean person, but I'm glad they're miserable. They still have their mansions and their Cadillacs and their dressage horses and their piles of money, so let them sit by one of their swimming pools and mope. Ann is just going to have to redecorate her own house, not ours.

Reply to this post

Response to The Velveteen Ocelot (Reply #32)

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 03:20 AM

40. yup. I don't dislike them because they're rich, I dislike them because they're asswipes

I actually do feel a little sorry for the Romneys sometimes... and then I remember how absolutely pathologically coldly he made his hundreds of millions by causing the suffering of hundreds or thousands of human beings, and I get over it.

They are still so much better off than the people whose lives were destroyed as a direct result of their greed. I didn't like McCain and I didn't like Palin but at least they didn't personally profit from the misery of others.

I try not to be mean, like you, so: maybe this experience is teaching them to be better and therefore happier human beings. That's the best I can come up with. Although I don't actually care whether they're happier or not...

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 12:29 AM

34. Oh well, better luck next time. Why not run again in 2016? I bet you'd have a better chance then.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 09:04 AM

36. her MS can trigger extreme exhaustion and depression, Mitt should be with her 24/7

Instead he's 'bored' and made an office in Boston at his sons' business.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 09:51 AM

37. This woman is so very disgusting. She is arrogant, entitled, and offensive. I'm so thrilled that

she is nowhere near the White House with her stench. I think I dislike her much more than Robme.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 10:09 AM

38. Ride your horse annie.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 03:54 PM

39. Ann, F***you AND the horse you rode in on.

Your destiny is no more than a footnote in the dustbin of history.

Bake

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 04:21 AM

41. On a human level

I can understand. They really thought they were going to win. They believed the bad polls and ignored the good ones. This was a nearly life-long dream for both of them. It has to hurt.

That said, suck it.

Reply to this post

Response to RudynJack (Reply #41)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 09:33 PM

46. Welcome to DU, RudynJack!

Good to have you with us! Yeah, there's the human level, certainly. But life is full of disappointments. They thought they were going to win because they trusted the polls and research and campaign wisdom of the alternate universe. AND because they're card-carrying members of the World's-Biggest-Entitlement-Program Club: the entitlement that they and other super rich folks feel they have - to rule. They think it's their birthright, that it's their rightful place in this country - calling the shots and ordering everyone else around and being the Deciders. They just assume that, by being rich, it's just theirs, it just belongs to them, and they're OWED. Simply by virtue of being rich and privileged.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 05:07 PM

42. She had that "To the Manor Born" attitude that I just couldn't abide

Not feeling sorry for her, not a bit. She's just experiencing what all of us have experienced at some time in our lives. Loss and disappointment are common to the majority of people.

Life has a way of letting you down, Ann, from time to time.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 05:27 PM

43. When I start to feel sorry for Ann, I think about those employees of that company

in Illinois that Bain was closing down just before the election. Those people watched as the company shipped the company machinary and their jobs to China. They asked Romney to meet with them and were ignored. Not only were they losing their jobs, that company was one of the remaining companies which was the life blood of that town. The company had made a profit of $500 million that last year alone, but apparently it wasn't enough. There were bigger profits to be made in China.

So when I recall that story in news, I think of Ann, and I smile. Karma is a bitch.

Reply to this post

Response to politicaljunkie41910 (Reply #43)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 09:27 PM

45. Welcome to DU, politicaljunkie41910!

Glad you're here! It's hard to get up any sympathy for her ladyship. You do NOT have any "destiny" to be in the White House, honey. And millions of us are thrilled and relieved and deeply grateful that you don't.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread