HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Hey Republicans These Are...

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 02:15 PM

Hey Republicans These Are Your Beloved Reagan's Legacies

I don't know about anyone else on this thread but I am really sick and tired of listening to those who are now in charge of the republican party try to deify this guy. So here are just a few of the FACTS of his presidency for you so that the next time you encounter one of the republican party's sheeple spewing their deification of this guy you can present them with the FACTS as to what exactly took place when number 40 was in the white house.

First of all he ignored the AIDS epidemic for SIX years, following discovery of the first cases in 1981. Reagan would ultimately address the issue of AIDS while president. His remarks came May 31, 1987 (near the end of his second term), at the Third International Conference on AIDS in Washington. When he spoke, 36,058 Americans had been diagnosed with AIDS and 20,849 had died. The disease had spread to 113 countries, with more than 50,000 cases.

Another of Reagan’s enduring legacies is the steep increase in the number of homeless people, which by the late 1980s had swollen to 600,000 on any given night – and 1.2 million over the course of a year. Many were Vietnam veterans, children and laid-off workers.

In early 1984 on Good Morning America, Reagan defended himself against charges of callousness toward the poor in a classic blaming-the-victim statement saying that “people who are sleeping on the grates…the homeless…are homeless, you might say, by choice.”

He encouraged class warfare. He proclaimed that the enemy of the middle class was not the wealthy, but the poor. He LIED about ”fur coat-wearing welfare queens picking up their food stamps in limousines” in order to divide our country.

He was in fact the Republican Party’s father of fiscal irresponsibility, Ronald Reagan made skyrocketing national debt, a dangerously reflexive aversion to taxes and a corrosive distrust of the people’s government a permanent fixture of American politics.

Ronald Reagan made people distrust and actually hate their own government, even when they directly benefited from it every day. ”Government is not a solution to our problem,” Ronald Reagan memorably remarked, “Government is the problem.” Or he put it on another occasion: "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: ‘I’m from the government and I’m here to help.’”

By the end of his term, 138 Reagan administration officials had been convicted, had been indicted, or had been the subject of official investigations for official misconduct and/or criminal violations. In terms of number of officials involved, the record of his administration was the worst ever.

Let's also not forget that he wasted about $1 trillion on SDI/Star Wars, illegally funded and trained the Contras in the Nicaragua Civil War, during which over 50,000 people died, sent military aid to the Salvadoran Army and security forces during the Salvadoran Civil War, during which over 75,000 people were killed, sponsored the genocide of Mayans in Guatemala, killing over 200,000, reinstated Panama’s dictator Manuel Noriega to the CIA’s payroll, armed Saddam Hussein with biological weapons during the Iran-Iraq war and covertly supported both sides, covertly funded and trained Islamic mujahideen guerrilla fighters in Afghanistan after the Soviet invasion, and invaded Grenada, amongst countless other things.

One of the very first things I remember shaking my head about Ronald Reagan doing was when he reclassified ketchup as a vegetable in school lunches, so that schools didn’t need to serve actual vegetables to meet the nutrition requirements. I know this wasn’t a big life-or-death issue, but to me it spoke volumes about his character.

Even today's Prisons for Profit have their origins in the Reagan years. The modern private prison business first emerged and established itself publicly in 1984 when the Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) was awarded a contract to take over a facility in Hamilton County, Tennessee. The prison population exploded in the 1980’s because of the War on Drugs and increased use of incarceration for minor drug offenses. Just like homelessness, Prisons for Profit is just another in the endless list of their beloved Reagan's obscene legacy. And then of course we should not ever forget arms for hostages, no increase in the minimum wage for 10 years, gutting of environmental laws, and so many other things. These are just a few things that their beloved Reagan did. This is the guy that the leaders of today's republican party worship and in fact he did evil, evil things during his presidency and he was a horrible president imho.

14 replies, 1880 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to johnlennon_shallrise (Original post)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 02:31 PM

1. He was more akin to a terrorist than a president IMO. n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to RKP5637 (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 05:12 PM

2. He was a sorry bastard

Despicable.....

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 07:01 PM

3. Excellent post

Very good points & factual accounts of history rather than the revisionist history which many Republicans engage in concerning Reagan.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 07:52 PM

4. Karma got President Pruneface in the end.

I always believed that his Alzheimer's was the direct result of Karma coming back to bite him in his wrinkled ass.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 08:26 PM

5. He lowered tax rates but later would raise taxes by disallowing certain

deductions. For instance, you were allowed to deduct IRA contributions but if you were also covered by a pension (and depending on your income) you could not. This raised
taxes by about $ 500 - $ 700 per person.

He also eliminated a front page deduction using Schedule W. This reduced your income to get adjusted gross income. If I remember the details correctly, if both spouses worked you would take the lower of the two and multiply that by 10%. You would then take the lower of that figure or 2,000 ( $ 20,000 x 10%). This raised taxes even by $ 300
if you were in the 15% bracket.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 11:38 PM

6. You're not going to make Republicans stop deifying Reagan with these facts.

They hate people with AIDs, so Reagan ignoring the epidemic is a score in his favor. They hate the homeless and Reagan's comment that the homeless are that way because it's their choice resonates with them. And conservatives love the mantra of class warfare and the racist stereotype of "fur-wearing welfare queens picking up their food stamps in limousines." Teabaggers hate the deficit, but blame it all on Obama and the Democrats and spending it on social programs that empower the aforementioned mythical fur-wearing welfare queens and they'll tell anyone that the Latin American support for right-wing dictatorships was to keep commies from our own back yards. They'll twist any negative facts of their hero into "lame stream media" propaganda and keep their hero-worship intact no matter what facts you throw at them. Reagan's vicious legacy has grown exponentially down the decades and it's a fact that as cruel as he was, today's Republicans and teabaggers are even worse. They're Reagan on crack.

Reply to this post

Response to Rozlee (Reply #6)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 08:22 AM

11. Excellent post

and quite true. Modern repukes and teabaggers detest the truth or rather any truth that coflicts with their notion of reality. To say they are Reagan on crack nails them!

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 12:39 AM

7. I hated that little rat-bastard's guts.

And will until my last day. That son of a bitch cut cancer research funding while my 25-year-old husband was undergoing chemotherapy. I only wish there was a hell so Reagan would be burning in it.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 04:09 AM

8. My last radio show on Thursday was entirely devoted to Reagan's divisive legacy

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 07:02 AM

9. The Reagan Legacy is America’s Nightmare

Rancid Ronnie was the single worst POTUS this country has ever had; he has caused more long term harm than any other POTUS.

The sick part is that a whole bunch of Dems voted for that POS too.

In my book anyone who voted for the POS DESERVES to suffer from his policies, why because it is what they voted for.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 07:30 AM

10. I try not to waste too much time on hating symbols

The dude was an actor and played the simple role as Duffus Yea he had lot of stupid ideas but most (if not all ) were thought up by others from which he then adopted.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:11 AM

12. Do not forget Reagan's Arms for Hostages back room deal with Iran

Reagan stabbed President Jimmy Carter in the back with that behind the scenes deal with the Iranian Muslims.

During the course of the 1980 campaign, campaign leaders Richard Allen, Edwin Meese, and Casey became concerned, almost to the point of paranoia (according to journalists Jack Germond and Jules Witcover) that Carter would get the hostages released thereby stealing away Reagan's election momentum and assuring Carter of re-election. Following is a brief overview of the reported activities of Reagan's "October 1980 surprise" team:

Various reports reveal that Casey's "paramilitary wing" monitored U.S. military movements for the Reagan campaign, met with representatives of the Bani-Sadr government of Iran, and covertly obtained President Carter's debate briefing materials prior to the November election.

These revelations alone carry enormous constitutional implications -- private citizens soliciting military and intelligence assistance in monitoring U.S. government operations, private citizens meeting with foreign dignitaries in possible state negotiations, and private citizens clandestinely obtaining property of the United States President -- and yet they were not followed up by the major media once discovered and revealed in small, non-mass media publications.

Even more disturbing is the issue of Iranian arms shipments. Documents confirm that within its first month, the Reagan administration gave a green light to Israel to resume its arms shipments to the Iranian government.

These revelations support former Iranian President Bani-Sadr's assertion that the arms supply contract Iran signed with Israel in March 1981, less than two months after Reagan's inauguration, was the payoff for delaying the release of the American hostages until after the November 4, 1980 election.

The hostages remained in captivity until January 20, 1981, the day Reagan took the oath of office, and they left Teheran minutes after he became president.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 07:54 PM

13. Reagan also met with the Afghani Taliban in the Oval Office and gave them 1,000 Stinger missiles.

I hated every minute of his miserable public life.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:22 PM

14. So, can we pretty much say that a lot of the trouble that we're in today

is because of Reagan? Evidence is pointing to likely in my book.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread