HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » How to Negotiate - By Joe...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 01:29 PM

How to Negotiate - By Joe Klein

By Joe Klein

Nov. 30, 2012

The Republicans are, reportedly, outraged by President Obamaís opening bid in the fiscal cliff talks. Republicans always seem to be outraged. Itís getting boring. They need to step up and make a counter-offer.

Thatís how people negotiate. In this case, they need to be specific about the spending cuts they want. When their specific initial offer is on the table, then you can haggle. (Of course, itís entirely possible that all this is a smokescreen and actual haggling is taking place privately, between John Boehner and the President.)

But it is time to stow the Republican intemperance. It might have seemed ďrighteousĒ indignation when the GOP was deluding itself about representing a majority of Americans; now, it just seem puerile and petulant. Take, for example, this little outburst by Charles Krauthammer, in which the Administrationís opening bid is compared, unfavorably, to the unconditional surrender imposed on the South at Appamatox. Oh please. Does he really believe this infantile foot-stompingĖthe Republicans should walk out of the talks!Ėis going to be effective? Maybe so, given the fact that heís lost his mind about so many other things in recent years.

What is difficult for the Fox talking heads to understand is this: We had an election. The President won. This gives him greater leverage than the last election we had, in 2010, when the Presidentís party lost. It isnít absolute leverage, obviously, but itís more than he had. Wise Republicans know this scoreĖand will negotiate as hard as they can to match the revenue increases with reasonable long-term entitlement cuts.

Read more: http://swampland.time.com/2012/11/30/how-to-negotiate/#ixzz2DpHMetGR

3 replies, 865 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply How to Negotiate - By Joe Klein (Original post)
DonViejo Dec 2012 OP
Jennicut Dec 2012 #1
Proud Liberal Dem Dec 2012 #2
Resonance_Chamber Dec 2012 #3

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 11:15 PM

1. Republicans always act like the party in charge, regardless if they aren't.

And their outrages are all for show. To appeal to the rightest of the right wing of their party. That may keep them in power in certain house districts but in the Senate and Presidential elections it is going to kill them off. But now Dems finally growing a spine, and the Repubs are coming against public opinion as well. May they all go down with the sinking ship of modern conservatism.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Jennicut (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 12:21 AM

2. Yup

but I agree with Klein- I'm getting really tired of all of their "(p)outrage". Even when they're in charge, they find things to be "outraged" about. I can only imagine how hard- physically and emotionally- it is for them (and their supporters) to live in perpetual "outrage" mode all the time. I have my bad days too where I get overly upset about something or other (Bush's re-election in 2004 was definitely upsetting) but then I usually find a way to suck it up and move on. Frankly, life's much happier that way. It would seem that the electorate may be getting tired of it too. I think that this probably explains why all of this Benghazi/Rice BS is not having the kind of effect that the right-wing/Fox News pundits were hoping for prior to the election/since the election. They really just need to get a life IMHO. As they used to tell us, "elections have consequences." In order to be taken seriously, they need to learn that they don't own the WH/Congress any more than the Democratic Party does and that when the election is over and the dust settles, both sides need to get back to working for the common good of all Americans, which they have never really ever learned how to do, unlike Democrats whom, though they detested Bush, saw fit to try to work together with him on a lot of things, particularly after 9/11, or at least didn't spend all of their time trying to keep government from operating properly.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Reply to this thread