HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Sonís woes weigh heavily ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 08:58 PM

Sonís woes weigh heavily on the Rev. Jesse Jackson

CHICAGO (AP) ó At 71, the Rev. Jesse Jackson still keeps a hectic schedule and speaks widely on all kinds of civil rights issues.

But he struggles when addressing one thing: the son and political heir who abandoned his congressional seat last week because of mental health problems and two federal investigations.

The elder Jackson says his heart ďburnsĒ over the woes of his oldest child.

Over the last 40-plus years, Jackson has played many roles ó barrier-breaking presidential candidate, international hostage negotiator and master orator.

Now heís older, and civil rights activism has changed. But those who know him say his lower-key role is also a result of the troubles surrounding Jesse Jackson Jr. Some are concerned that the sonís problems could hurt the familyís image and legacy.

-30-

http://www.salon.com/2012/11/30/sons_woes_weigh_heavily_on_the_rev_jesse_jackson/

4 replies, 907 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Sonís woes weigh heavily on the Rev. Jesse Jackson (Original post)
DonViejo Nov 2012 OP
MotherPetrie Nov 2012 #1
comm_organgrinder Nov 2012 #2
Hekate Dec 2012 #3
politrixjunkie Dec 2012 #4

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 09:06 PM

1. It would have messed with my head if my father had had a mistress whom he fathered a child with

There are things I admire about Jesse Jackson, but there are also things I despise him for. Pretty hypocritical for him to worry about his SON hurting the family's "image" when he already did that big-time himself.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 01:54 AM

3. Rev. Jesse Jackson has done a lot of good in this world

Regardless of his personal failings, I am very sorry for his troubles. You never, ever stop aching for your child, no matter how old.

Hekate

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 09:40 AM

4. The elder Jackson tarnished his legacy years ago

with the mistress and child.

No disrespect on what he's done for civil rights prior but I lost all respect for him as a leader after that.
My girlfriend worked with PUSH back in the day and told me he was a womanizer then too.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread