HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Nothing Like Being Re-ele...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:33 AM

Nothing Like Being Re-elected - by Michael Tomasky

Nov 30, 2012 7:04 AM EST

The financial plan that Tim Geithner advanced yesterday caught everyone by surprise in its suck-on-this boldness, so unusual for Obama in such situations. Up to $1.6 trillion in revenue; new stimulus spending; new mortgage help; and elimination of Congress' role in the debt limit! Wowza. What's behind this?

First of all it looks like the White House just figured, and correctly: Let's not get bogged down in technicalities like Medicare reimbursement levels. It's of course inevitable that these negotiations will eventually get bogged down precisely in Medicare reimbursement levels. But Obama seems to have figured, let's not start that way. Let's start with a package that amounts to a vision and makes a statement.

The statement is about putting jobs and growth ahead of deficit reduction; it's about saying that we believe these are the right ways to stimulate the economy; and it's about saying that we're not going to open these negotiations on Republican turf.

That is: If the White House had instead yesterday offered a modest set of specific entitlement cuts and domestic spending cuts, that would have started the negotiations on GOP turf, since those are the two things the GOP wants. This of course is exactly what Obama used to do: As in last year's debt negotiations, he started by offering the Republicans half a loaf, and the compromise ended up at 75 or 80 percent of the GOP loaf, and Obama looked weak and his voters were terribly dispirited. it took months for him and them to recover.

Complete article:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/11/30/nothing-like-being-re-elected.html

10 replies, 1798 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:40 PM

1. Republicans Agree: 332 Is A Landslide. I say he's got a mandate:

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to freshwest (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:16 PM

3. Kick. I had missed that pic.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:47 PM

2. And Obama knew the GOP would flatly reject the plan.

Off the "so-called" fiscal cliff we go!

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:41 PM

4. Indeed, Michael Tomasky.. "Nothing like being

re-elected"..especially when it's President Barack Hussein Obama.

Thank you, DonViejo

President Obama walks out from the Oval Office before his departure to Hatfield, Pennsylvania, November 30****

http://theobamadiary.com/

Reply to this post

Response to Cha (Reply #4)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 03:02 PM

6. I just realized

Technically, President Obama is the first president to be re-elected in 16 years. Slightly OT but the way you worded your post made me think of it.

Nice photo, BTW.

Reply to this post

Response to democrattotheend (Reply #6)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 08:07 PM

7. You're right, democrattotheend~ I just read this..

" Barack Obama is the first Democratic President to win 2 terms with over 50% of the vote since FDR!

And, he is the first President of either party to win 2 terms with at least 51% of the vote since Dwight Eisenhower!"

http://theobamadiary.com/2012/11/30/heads-up-president-obama-in-pennsylvania-1205-et/

Reply to this post

Response to Cha (Reply #4)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 05:55 AM

8. Wow, that is a beautiful shot. I didn't even know he was coming to PA today (yesterday?)

Reply to this post

Response to Dark n Stormy Knight (Reply #8)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 05:05 PM

9. Yes, PBO was in PA yesterday.. starting his Participation Democracy Tour :)

President Obama looks at a toy Knex roller coaster made at the Rodon Group, a manufacturer of toys in Hatfield, Pennsylvania, November 30

http://theobamadiary.com/

On Friday, President Obama hit the trail once again to pressure Republicans into immediately extending tax cuts for Americans making under $250,000 a year.

I need you to remind members of Congress Democrats and Republicans to not get bogged down in a bunch of partisan bickering, Obama told a crowd at a toy factory in Pennsylvania. Lets go ahead and focus on the people who sent us to Washington and make sure that were doing the right thing by them.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/11/campaign-obama-returns.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

Reply to this post

Response to Cha (Reply #9)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 01:16 AM

10. Thanks for the links, especially the reminder about the Obama diary. Great pix, etc. there, but I

only remember to check it when someone on DU posts a link.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:52 PM

5. I love it !!! I think part of only showing them these items is because Speaker Boehner again

mentioned that tax rates shouldn't go up on anybody. WRONG!!! And McConnell laughs at the President's first offer -- Hey Mitch we are laughing at you. OUR PRESIDENT stated two years ago he was going to fight you on this. Well you Rs gambled thinking he would not be re-elected and you lost. Besides, if Mitt was elected you would state how the american people voted not to have tax increases but tax reductions. Well that didn't happen so let's go over together. Or solve this together. But watch out for the boogeyman Grover and his henchmen and primaries.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread