HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Myths & Facts about B...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:32 AM

Myths & Facts about Benghazi

Limbaugh: Ambassador Stevens Had "No Security" At Benghazi Consulate. During the September 21 edition of his Premiere Radio Networks' program, Rush Limbaugh claimed that Ambassador Chris Stevens had "no security -- none."

FACT: There Were Multiple Teams Of Armed Guards At Libyan Consulate

WSJ: Consulate Security Included "A Four-Man Team Of Armed Guards Protecting The Perimeter" And "Five Armed State Department Diplomatic Security Officers." A September 21 Wall Street Journal article reported that security at the Libyan consulate included "a four-man team of armed guards protecting the perimeter and four unarmed Libyan guards inside to screen visitors." The Journal also noted: "Besides the four armed Libyans outside, five armed State Department diplomatic security officers were at the consulate."

WSJ: Prior To Attacks, "Embassy Personnel Conducted A Security Review." The same Wall Street Journal article reported that a security review was conducted right before the attacks on the consulate:

In the days before Sept. 11, intelligence agencies issued their annual warning of heightened security risks around the anniversary of the 2001 attacks. Many counterterrorism officials saw a lessened risk this year than last year, which was the 10th anniversary and the first one after the killing of Osama bin Laden.

In Libya, embassy personnel conducted a security review right before the anniversary. It determined there was no reason to think an attack was planned or the consulate in Benghazi was "insufficiently postured," said a senior administration official.

FACT: FBI Is Investigating Libya Attack, And State Dept. Panel Is Conducting Independent Inquiry

Press Secretary Jay Carney On Sept. 12: Benghazi Attack "Is Under Investigation." The day after the attack on the U.S. consulate in Libya, press secretary Jay Carney told reporters that the violence was already "being investigated" and that "as we find out information that can be made available I'm sure we will." From Carney's statements:

CARNEY: It's too early for us to make that judgment . I think -- I know that this is being investigated, and we're working with the Libyan government to investigate the incident. So I would not want to speculate on that at this time.



I want to be careful about making statements that are based on speculation about this incident and its causes. It's under investigation, obviously, and as we find out information that can be made available I'm sure we will.



Van Susteren: "Incompetence, Or Cover-Up, Or Something Else?" During Fox News' On the Record, host Greta van Susteren said, after showing a montage of clips related to the attacks, "Why does the Obama administration keep changing its tune? Incompetence, or cover-up, or something else?"

FACT: FBI Is Investigating Libya Attack, And State Dept. Panel Is Conducting Independent Inquiry

Press Secretary Jay Carney On Sept. 12: Benghazi Attack "Is Under Investigation." The day after the attack on the U.S. consulate in Libya, press secretary Jay Carney told reporters that the violence was already "being investigated" and that "as we find out information that can be made available I'm sure we will." From Carney's statements:


CARNEY: It's too early for us to make that judgment . I think -- I know that this is being investigated, and we're working with the Libyan government to investigate the incident. So I would not want to speculate on that at this time.



I want to be careful about making statements that are based on speculation about this incident and its causes. It's under investigation, obviously, and as we find out information that can be made available I'm sure we will.

Attorney General Holder Cut Trip Short To Manage FBI's Libya Probe. On September 13, the Associated Press reported that Attorney General Eric Holder ended a trip to the Middle East early, skipping stops in Saudi Arabia and Turkey, to return to the U.S. to manage the investigation. The AP wrote, "The attorney general's change in plans followed remarks he made Thursday in Doha, Qatar, that the FBI has opened a full investigation into the deaths and the attack on the consulate."

Ambassador Rice: "I Do Think It's Important For The American People To Know Our Best Current Assessment." On September 16 during Fox News Sunday, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice noted that the investigation into the Benghazi violence was ongoing and briefed host Chris Wallace on the latest information:


WALLACE: Let's talk about the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi this week that killed four Americans including Ambassador Chris Stevens. A top Libyan official now says that the attack on that consulate, on Tuesday, was quote, his words: "Pre-planned." Al-Qaeda says the operation was revenge for our killing a top Al-Qaeda leader.

RICE: Well, first of all, Chris, we are obviously investigating this very closely. The FBI has a lead in this investigation. The information, the best information and the best assessment we have today is that in fact this was not a preplanned, premeditated attack. That what happened initially was that it was a spontaneous reaction to what had just transpired in Cairo as a consequence of the video. People gathered outside the embassy and then it grew very violent. Those with extremist ties joined the fray and came with heavy weapons, which unfortunately are quite common in post-revolutionary Libya and that then spun out of control.

But we don't see at this point signs this was a coordinated plan, premeditated attack. Obviously, we will wait for the results of the investigation and we don't want to jump to conclusions before then. But I do think it's important for the American people to know our best current assessment.

Director Of National Counterterrorism Center Testified At Senate Committee Hearing About The Attack. On September 19, director of the National Counterterrorism Center Matt Olsen informed lawmakers about information obtained in the investigation. From The Washington Post:
No Conspiracy, No Lies, No Coverup!

The U.S. ambassador and three other Americans killed last week in Libya died "in the course of a terrorist attack," a senior U.S. intelligence official told lawmakers Wednesday.

Matthew Olsen, director of the National Counterterrorism Center, repeated earlier statements by the Obama administration that initial conclusions do not point to a planned assault. Instead, he said, "the facts that we have now indicate that ts was an opportunistic attack," in which heavily armed militants took advantage of an ongoing demonstration at the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi.

But Olsen went beyond those conclusions to say that the people involved in the violent assault appeared to have come from several militant groups, including localized extremists in eastern Libya as well as affiliates of al-Qaeda.

"The picture that is emerging is one where a number of different individuals were involved, so it's not necessarily an either/or proposition," Olsen told a hearing of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton: State Dept. Launching Independent Inquiry Into Consulate Attacks. From The Washington Post:

The State Department is opening a new inquiry into the attack on a diplomatic post in Libya that killed four Americans, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said Thursday.



The inquiry announced by Clinton will be carried out by an independent four-member panel chaired by retired diplomat Thomas Pickering. The panel, required by law, will look at whether security procedures were adequate at the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi and make recommendations to the secretary of state. Pickering was once the boss of U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens, who was killed in the Benghazi attack last week, along with another diplomat and two security personnel.



http://mediamatters.org/research/2012/09/26/myths-and-facts-about-the-benghazi-attack-and-p/190150#c

5 replies, 1118 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Myths & Facts about Benghazi (Original post)
courseofhistory Nov 2012 OP
mikeysnot Nov 2012 #1
leveymg Nov 2012 #2
frylock Nov 2012 #3
courseofhistory Nov 2012 #4
leveymg Nov 2012 #5

Response to courseofhistory (Original post)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:48 AM

1. The wrong foams at the mouth over this

but was completely MIA while the * admin hindered any investigation for a year, and even then * and Dick were not under oath, were interviewed together and no video tape of the interview. Now compare to the Monica investigation.

Bottom line. conservatives suck.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to courseofhistory (Original post)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:48 AM

2. NOTE: Not a word about what was going on inside the Mission and CIA station in Benghazi.

If these RW jackasses actually wanted to understand the motives and causes of the events that led to the loss of Amb. Stevens and the other Americans, there's a entirely different set of questions that need to be asked and answered.

But, they aren't, because that would be telling. It would get in the way of the ongoing program of regional regime change and religious warfare between the Saudis and Iran that we've taken sides in.

Unfortunately, that policy will have further blowback.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to leveymg (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:14 PM

3. bingo

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to leveymg (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 02:33 PM

4. Right and

either they are completely and utterly stupid or their agenda is not to admit to the actual facts that the "consulate" wasn't even a consulate (that was the CIA cover) and was being used by the CIA as a safe house and wepons confiscation center for the unsecured weapons in Benghazi. They can't admit this (or as I said they are really STUPID) because then their vendetta talking points would stink even worse than they do now.

There wasn't a lot of security there (as with all safe houses) so as not to draw attention the operations there AND because they were winding down the activity there, having completed their mission.

But to keep acting ignorant and disturbed (the answers like those above are easily obtainable if you ask the right people) is a game to try to keep bringing down Obama and Susan Rice. It is disgusting and pitiful!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to courseofhistory (Reply #4)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 02:53 PM

5. What makes you think "they were winding down the activity there,

having completed their mission.
?

If the mission were collecting MANPADs, as you say, they reportedly only located about one-in-four of the 20,000 or so estimated to have been looted from the Libyan Army stocks. The Libyan freighter reported by the London Times to be carrying SAM-7s had docked in Turkey a week or two earlier. If if they were indeed looking to seize SAMs, I'd think there would still be work to do. Don't you?

Also, Amb. Stevens had just returned after a visit to the States, during which he talked to among others, his friend Fran Townsend, who declined his invitation to come work on a problem with him in Benghazi.

So, what makes you think the mission was almost completed?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread