HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Top Dems: Entitlements Of...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 08:39 AM

Top Dems: Entitlements Off The Table In Cliff Talks

Democratic leaders, frustrated by the GOP’s unwillingness to reckon with the need to raise taxes, are publicly airing the hard-bargaining demands they’re bringing to budget negotiations with Republicans.

The Senate’s top two Democrats, in separate remarks Tuesday, each said that Congress could avoid looming across-the-board tax increases and spending cuts if House Republicans agree to freeze all the Bush tax rates except those benefitting top earners. If that were accompanied by an increase in the debt limit, and the creation of a separate track for reforming the tax code and social safety net programs in 2013, the near-term austerity problem will be solved, and lawmakers can call it a day.

In other words, Senate Democrats are staking out the position that entitlement reform should not be on the table in fiscal cliff negotiations.

“If we fail to reach an agreement, the average middle-class family will see their taxes go up by $2,200 a year,” said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) told reporters at his weekly press availability. “As I’ve indicated, the Senate has already reacted to stop that and the House is one vote away from making that a reality for many millions of Americans who are middle class.”

-snip-

read more:
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/11/democrats-big-budget-ask.php?ref=fpb

5 replies, 803 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Top Dems: Entitlements Off The Table In Cliff Talks (Original post)
DonViejo Nov 2012 OP
still_one Nov 2012 #1
Dyedinthewoolliberal Nov 2012 #2
CTyankee Nov 2012 #3
Samantha Nov 2012 #5
frazzled Nov 2012 #4

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 08:49 AM

1. do not touch entitlements. If they "go off the cliff", then submit a new bill that just include tax

breaks for those that make less than 250K

Have a spine Congress, we won the election

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:00 AM

2. I really would like

a different word than entitlements to be used for SS and Medicare. The word has been hijacked by the right and it sounds like a giveaway now. How about 'earned benefits' are off the table?

Reply to this post

Response to Dyedinthewoolliberal (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:04 AM

3. Great suggestion! It's disturbing to me that the Dems haven't already started calling

them "earned benefits." Doing so would just about finish the Republicans arguments. Most people would say "Yep, I EARNED those benefits, no one 'gave' them to me!"

Reply to this post

Response to Dyedinthewoolliberal (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:39 PM

5. I have already started using it

Maybe more will start. Good suggestion.

Sam

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:32 AM

4. Till 2013

They're just saying, "renew tax cuts for middle class and let the top ones expire, and also raise the debt ceiling now, and we'll talk about entitlements and tax code reform separately, later." This is just about avoiding the so-called "cliff," in which the Bush tax cuts expire altogether and automatic cuts (draconian) voted in last year occur.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread