HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » There are SIX states that...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:39 PM

There are SIX states that have never elected a women to the U.S. House of Representatives

Women have been elected to the House of Representatives from 44 of the 50 states in the United States. The states that have not elected a woman to the House are Alaska, Delaware, Iowa, Mississippi, North Dakota, and Vermont ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_United_States_House_of_Representatives#Women_starting_in_the_113th_United_States_Congress

Regarding The U.S. Senate

Twenty-six states have been represented by female senators (which means that 24 have not)

List of the 26 states here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_United_States_Senate#List_of_states_represented_by_women

4 replies, 1117 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply There are SIX states that have never elected a women to the U.S. House of Representatives (Original post)
Tx4obama Nov 2012 OP
democrattotheend Nov 2012 #1
left on green only Nov 2012 #2
Orangepeel Nov 2012 #3
pnwmom Nov 2012 #4

Response to Tx4obama (Original post)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:45 PM

1. I think four have never elected female senators either

Alaska and now North Dakota have. So the other four are the only states that have never sent a woman to either house of Congress.

Except Iowa and Mississippi, most of them are small states that only have 1 House rep and have not had a ton of turnover in the last 30 years, so that's probably why.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Tx4obama (Original post)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:58 PM

2. I never thought I'd see Vermont on this list.

Vermont is like liberal California, except without the inclusion of all of the right wing crazies on the side.

Reply to this post

Response to left on green only (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:06 AM

3. Well, to be fair to Vermont, they don't have a lot of chances.

They only have one rep, and once someone gets in, there isn't much chance for anyone to be a replacement. They've only had a total of four people in the job since 1975.

Reply to this post

Response to left on green only (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:18 AM

4. Or Delaware. Weird. nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread