HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Republicans Look To Split...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 05:24 PM

Republicans Look To Split The Baby On Norquist’s Pledge

For the past week, Republican lawmakers have faced an either/or scenario on the fiscal cliff: stick with Grover Norquist’s tax pledge and risk going over the cliff, or forgo the pledge in order to strike a deal with Democrats.

But on Tuesday, at least two conservative voices seemed to say they thought there might be a third option.

Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA) hinted Tuesday morning that Republicans could both work out a deal with Democrats and uphold their pledge. The argument hinges on the fact that without a deal, Republicans would be partially responsible for the expiration of the Bush tax cuts. By striking a deal, they would uphold the pledge by at least avoiding an across-the-board tax hike.

“I don’t intend to violate any pledge,” Toomey said on CNN’s “Starting Point.” “My pledge is not to support higher taxes. What we’re faced with in just a few weeks is a massive tax increase. If I can help ensure that we don’t have that tax increase, then I believe I’ve fulfilled my pledge to fight for the lowest possible taxes.”

-snip-

more:
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/11/norquist-toomey-pledge-taxes-republicans.php

2 replies, 509 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Republicans Look To Split The Baby On Norquist’s Pledge (Original post)
DonViejo Nov 2012 OP
MotherPetrie Nov 2012 #1
AnotherMcIntosh Nov 2012 #2

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 05:38 PM

1. Any deal they work out with Dems will require Dem betrayal of their own base. Ball's in your court,

President Obama.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MotherPetrie (Reply #1)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 05:51 PM

2. Somehow, from their experience, they must think that it is a sure thing.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread