HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Michigan Republicans Prop...

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 09:28 AM

Michigan Republicans Propose Tax Credit For Fetuses … After Eliminating Tax Credits For Actual Child

Michigan Republicans Propose Tax Credit For Fetuses … After Eliminating Tax Credits For Actual Children

http://www.thedailydolt.com/2012/11/24/michigan/

Oh, and there’s also this new development, as reported in the Guardian: Michigan is now proposing a tax credit for unborn fetuses of 12 weeks gestation. If the measure becomes law it would be the first of its kind in the US. One of the main sponsors of the fetus tax credit bill, Jud Gilbert (R-Algonac), said the rationale behind it was to recognize that mothers have additional bills to pay.

You’re recognizing the fact that people have additional expenses, another person to take care of. Money saved there could be contributed to doctor’s bills and all kinds of things.
Which totally makes sense!! Because, yeah, parenthood does cost a lot of money. Well, it almost makes sense — except for the fact that Michigan shredded tax credits for actual, air-breathing human children last year. Gilbert and the other main sponsor of the fetal tax-credit bill, Lisa Posthumus Lyons (R- Kent County), both voted in favor of eliminating the Earned Income Tax Credit for children.

http://votesmart.org/bill/13362/35095/income-tax-amendments#.ULIq6Yc8CSo

Reduces the earned income tax credit for low-income workers from 20 percent to 6 percent beginning after December 31, 2011 (Sec. 272).

17 replies, 2378 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply Michigan Republicans Propose Tax Credit For Fetuses … After Eliminating Tax Credits For Actual Child (Original post)
JKingman Nov 2012 OP
valerief Nov 2012 #1
DhhD Nov 2012 #2
Heather MC Nov 2012 #3
JKingman Nov 2012 #11
Heather MC Nov 2012 #16
think Nov 2012 #4
mountain grammy Nov 2012 #5
freshwest Nov 2012 #7
AnotherMcIntosh Nov 2012 #8
etherealtruth Nov 2012 #6
courseofhistory Nov 2012 #9
Jeff In Milwaukee Nov 2012 #10
catbyte Nov 2012 #12
kag Nov 2012 #14
yewberry Nov 2012 #13
Sunlei Nov 2012 #15
Pool Hall Ace Nov 2012 #17

Response to JKingman (Original post)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 09:34 AM

1. I guess Gilbert thinks no one will notice the insanity--and utter cruelty--of his

votes and proposal.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 10:53 AM

2. It would open the door for a fetus to be a person starting at the second trimester. Personhood

would be moved back in time. A women would be paid to have a baby but the State would pay for it through the taxpayers. Does that mean that the State, assumes the responsibility for the minor? Foster care becomes the responsibility of government for any child before anyone applies at or after birth, for welfare.

And Republicans are against bigger government. What privation companies in this state promote foster care (orphanages), health care, and penal rehabilitation for youth?

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 11:31 AM

3. umm i have a question

What if you claim the 12 week fetus on your taxes, but god forbid something happens and you lose the baby at 24 weeks do you have to pay that money back?
What if you don't know you are pregnant until you give birth can you back track and get the credit later? do you have to prove you didn't know you were pregnant?

Reply to this post

Response to Heather MC (Reply #3)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:28 PM

11. Pay it all back with interest, and no, no retro payments!

Just kidding, but this wouldn't surprise me. These Republicans are so small minded.

Reply to this post

Response to JKingman (Reply #11)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 07:04 PM

16. I just remembered according to them late term fetal deaths and mother's dying in child birth doesn't

happen. silly me

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 11:42 AM

4. Sanity is in short supply on Repug side of the fence nowdays /nt

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 11:44 AM

5. Ah, so many good questions..

and no fucking answers!! These people are beyond crazy! Oh, one more question: WHO ELECTS THESE IDIOTS?

Reply to this post

Response to mountain grammy (Reply #5)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:05 PM

7. WHO? The sane voters who stay at home. There are more of us than them. The secret of 2010 and 2014.

Reply to this post

Response to mountain grammy (Reply #5)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:05 PM

8. Possibly (1) electronic voting machines, (2) gerrymanderers, (3) high-office holders who won't

investigate.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 11:45 AM

6. The right wing nut jobs in my fair state

.. can out crazy just about anyone. Hopefully, saner voices will prevail.

I sure hope so.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:09 PM

9. Nutty republicans are

actually very dangerous!

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:25 PM

10. God Almighty, willwe EVER get rid of these people?

In Wisconsin, the right wing won a majority in 2010 and proceeded to pass multiple anti-worker laws (you heard about this of course), all of which was eventually thrown out in court, but only after the state's comically-inept Attorney General spent millions defending it. And the Republicans lost their majority in the Senate.

Well, they won back a majority in 2012 and now the right-to-lifers want to pass a series of restrictive measures that will most certainly be overturned after the state spends a few more million dollars in a futile attempt to overturn the United States Constitution.

Jesus Christ on a cracker, these people are impervious to learning from their mistakes.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:39 PM

12. Just a few years ago we had Governor Granholm & sanity. Now we have to deal with

THIS. The damage they're doing will take years to repair. At least we voted down that hideous EM law but I am just waiting for somw crook to introduce "Right to Fire" legislation. It's coming. They will be emboldened by the failure of Prop. 2. I fear for my state.

Reply to this post

Response to catbyte (Reply #12)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 01:22 PM

14. Good luck, catbyte.

I must say, your state's (I live in Colorado) Emergency Manager law was one of the scariest I have ever seen in my life. I fear for your state, too. Good luck!

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 01:18 PM

13. Wow, that is incredibly transparent.

This is an excellent example of the republican party caring only about children until birth-- after that, you're on your won. This idea is only meant to bolster the argument for personhood.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 01:41 PM

15. a nest of the real whackie repubs like Michele Bachmann and she is ex. IRS so she games the bills

She takes state and federal money for her husbands for profit medical clinic (the pray away the gay clinic), federal money for the family old (no- milk)dairy farm and had 45?? only female foster children.

We got to vote these nutters out and get their claws off our State and Federal taxpayer money. They have made multi-millions off of us.

She only won by a couple thousand votes this time? She games the IRS system and our taxpayer money like a pro.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:06 PM

17. So mothers have additional bills to pay --

and those bills apparently stop once the child is born?

I did not know that.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread