HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Fun fact: Obama did bette...

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:13 AM

Fun fact: Obama did better in Alaska than any Democrat since Humphrey (in terms of overall %)...

Technically Clinton lost it by a smaller margin in '92, but that was in a three-way race and he barely hit 30%. Obama won 41% of the vote there - up from 38% in '08. It's one of only a handful of states where he actually did better than four years ago. Think this is Palin blowback?

5 replies, 1405 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Fun fact: Obama did better in Alaska than any Democrat since Humphrey (in terms of overall %)... (Original post)
Drunken Irishman Nov 2012 OP
Tarheel_Dem Nov 2012 #1
Ken Burch Nov 2012 #2
Victor_c3 Nov 2012 #3
mikekohr Nov 2012 #4
Filibuster Harry Nov 2012 #5

Response to Drunken Irishman (Original post)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:27 AM

1. "Think this is Palin blowback?" Gawd, I hope so.

I hope both she & Paul Ryan are consigned to the dustbin of history for all time. I don't think the Repukes will be at all interested in running him again. He was a liability, and so is Ms. Palin.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 06:02 AM

2. I think Alaska is slowly edging, at least, towards the purple zone.

We did, after all, elect a Dem Senator(Mark Begich) in 2008.

The crucial work that needs to be done up here is to rebuild the local Dem organizations, especially in the Railbelt area(Anchorage). That is where control of the state legislature is won or lost, and the Last Frontier Republiban(aided by fairly blatant gerrymandering)has dominated the Legislature since the early 90's, while winning every governor's race since 2002 by solid margins.

Probably the only way to break the Republiban grip at those levels is for Dems to find a way to talk sustainable economics, to push for a model for the state that defends green values AND provides full employment. Doing that will take a lot of Dems, from all wings of the party, out of their comfort zones. It will require establishing dialog between greenies and workers in extraction industries...not sure if that's possible, but it has to happen in the Dems or any other progressive force are to have a chance up here at all.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 06:38 AM

3. One of my coworkers recently took a trip to Alaska and she said that they hate Sarah Palin

My coworkers are all hardcore Democrats and I made one of them a coffee mug that for Sarah Palin's 2010 presidential election bid. It sort of became a running joke and she bought a bunch of Sarah Palin coffee mugs when she went on her honeymoon to Alaska a few months back.

Reply to this post

Response to Victor_c3 (Reply #3)

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 11:02 AM

4. A Friend Of Mine Has A Cabin In Cantwell, AK, Just North Of Wasilla

he said people hate Palin there because they feel she is a quitter and sold her responsibilities out for a quick buck.

He is himself a rock ribbed Republican that was very high on Palin until he saw how vilified she is in her home town and state.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 03:24 PM

5. I do think it is a palin blowback. Understand she is not liked there anymore -- she was never so

partisan -- remember she did buck people in her party before her VP nomination. But now for the $$$
she is so partisan. I wonder how many more votes Obama could have gotten if he visited Alaska?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread