HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » GOP civil war: Limbaugh v...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 01:36 PM

GOP civil war: Limbaugh vs. the consultants

A top Republican strategist calls conservatives "loons and wackos." Limbaugh is not pleased

BY ALEX SEITZ-WALD

The last time we checked in with the post-election GOP civil war, Herman Cain was threatening to form a new party to compete with the GOP, Bill Kristol sparked a schism over tax increases, and Grover Norquist, the high priest of anti-tax dogma, was losing his grip on congressional Republicans.

This week, the Republican soul searching and polite recriminations via anonymous quote exploded into an all-out war of words between representatives of two wings of the party that have never gotten along, but largely kept quiet for the good of the conservative cause.

In one corner are the consultants, Steve Schmidt, who managed John McCain’s 2008 campaign, and Mike Murphy, who advised Mitt Romney’s campaign. In the other corner is Rush Limbaugh, the embodiment of the conservative id in human form. We don’t have a dog in this fight as there’s blood on both of their hands, so just sit back and enjoy.

Schmidt threw the first punch in this battle on “Meet the Press” with a left, left combo strike against the right flank of his party. GOP leaders have “succumbed to the base,” he said last Sunday, arguing that “to too many swing voters in the country, when you hear the word ‘conservative’ now, they think of loons and wackos.” As if that weren’t enough, when host David Gregory played a clip of Limbaugh, Schmidt took the bait. “Our elected leaders are scared to death of the conservative entertainment complex, the shrill and divisive voices that are bombastic and broadcasting out into the homes,” he said in a clear reference to the radio host.

complete article:
http://www.salon.com/2012/11/21/gop_civil_war_limbaugh_vs_the_consultants/

10 replies, 1076 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply GOP civil war: Limbaugh vs. the consultants (Original post)
DonViejo Nov 2012 OP
ratzerman Nov 2012 #1
humanistcafe Nov 2012 #2
NewJeffCT Nov 2012 #3
coalition_unwilling Nov 2012 #5
Dubster Nov 2012 #4
John2 Nov 2012 #6
reflection Nov 2012 #7
greenman3610 Nov 2012 #8
Jennicut Nov 2012 #9
tanyev Nov 2012 #10

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 01:48 PM

1. Eye Candy

I never get tired of reading this stuff.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 01:52 PM

2. Fat boy has ...

... jumped the shark. He and Grover Nordquist should find a nice little hole to crawl into together and spend their golden years there pining away for Reagan.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 02:15 PM

3. I'm rooting for Rush

And, he can hopefully destroy the GOP for a generation by forcing nomination of candidates further & further to the right...

Reply to this post

Response to NewJeffCT (Reply #3)

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 02:19 PM

5. Father Coughlin v 2.0 - n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 02:17 PM

4. Spam deleted by gkhouston (MIR Team)

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 02:20 PM

6. This is

a good step. The first step to reclaim the Party is to take on the rightwing extremists. I'm on the side of the moderates.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 02:32 PM

7. That's the second time I've heard a Republican

use the term "Conservative Entertainment Complex." The first was Frum the other day. This gives me hope. Obviously the more rational arm of the GOP is pissed, and they are using carefully constructed talking points to marginalize the loonies in their party. The more they say it, the deeper it will be embedded in the discussion. I intend to use it as well when debating with or talking to others about the state of the GOP. The Republicans who haven't yet been completely brainwashed by Fox et al can be brought back into the fold of reality. It can happen.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 04:00 PM

8. listening to Rush on a road trip the other day

I couldn't stop smiling

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 04:07 PM

9. The civil war in the Repub party has been threatening it since before 2010.

The tea party/Rush/Fox group vs the more moderate/establishment Repubs has been brewing for a long time. If you are anything but a conservative you hope they simply tear each other apart.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 04:09 PM

10. Ya'll be sure and form a nice tight circle before commencing firing.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread