HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Popular Vote 2012 Results...

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 12:20 PM

Popular Vote 2012 Results: Breakdown by Marital Status, Age, Religion, Gender, etc.

As in 2008, Obama won the women's vote by a large margin, taking 55 percent of female votes, andd he did it with the largest gender gap ever recorded--18 percent.

But Obama lost the men's vote, receiving only 45 percent of votes cast by men, unlike in 2008, when he also carried the male vote.

Romney did very well among white voters, with nearly 60 percent voting for him, but recent demographic shifts meant that wasn't enough for him to win. Obama carried minorities by a huge margin.

Over 93 percent of African-Americans voted for Obama this year, as well as 73 percent of Asian-Americans and 71 percent of Latinos.

Latinos voters in particular were a problem for Romney, and the Republicans, as their share of the electorate continues to grow, and they were crucial in winning important swing states for Obama, like Nevada, Colorado and Florida, and are the main reason New Mexico is now a solidly Democratic state.

Obama continued his winning streak among minorities by taking the vast majority of votes by gay people. It's actually a bit surprising that Obama only won 76 percent of the votes cast by gay people, lesbians and bisexuals. A full 22 percent of LGBT voters supported Romney, despite open hostility from many facets of the Republican party and Democratic support for gay marriage initiatives in four states.

More: http://www.latinospost.com/articles/7140/20121121/popular-vote-2012-results-breakdown-marital-status.htm#UxsMMp52aG2VXuxc.99

5 replies, 1508 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Popular Vote 2012 Results: Breakdown by Marital Status, Age, Religion, Gender, etc. (Original post)
YoungDemCA Nov 2012 OP
fahrudin Nov 2012 #1
niyad Nov 2012 #2
davidpdx Nov 2012 #3
dsc Nov 2012 #4
treestar Nov 2012 #5

Response to YoungDemCA (Original post)

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 12:44 PM

2. thank you, most informative

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 06:47 AM

3. I would have thought the female vote would have been closer to 60%

The article did say it was the largest gender gap in history though. That makes me happy. I can't believe 37% of women were stupid enough to vote for Romney.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 04:02 PM

4. Obama did better

than Gore, Kerry, or he did the first time amongst gays. And all are well within the MOE of the polls anyhow.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 04:04 PM

5. The one that bugs me

people over 40 going for R$. I had thought older baby boomers would mean a more liberal country, but that seems to say people do just get more conservative when they get older.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread