HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Big Banks Line Up To Bloc...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 11:51 AM

Big Banks Line Up To Block Elizabeth Warren's Appointment to Senate Banking Committee

But the big banks are not fans of Warren, and their representatives in Washington have her in their crosshairs. Aides to two senators on the banking committee tell Mother Jones the industry has already moved to block Warren from joining the committee, which is charged with drafting legislation regulating much of the financial industry. "Downtown"—shorthand for Washington's lobbying corridor—"has been going nuts" to keep her off the committee, another Senate aide says.

Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.), a banking committee member, has been angling to get Warren on the committee, "but there are many bank lobbyists pushing to keep her off," a top Democratic Senate aide told Politico's Morning Money tipsheet. But the aide added, "If she really wants banking, it will be very tough politically to keep her off."

Several banking trade groups—including the American Bankers Association, Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association, and the Mortgage Bankers Association—declined or didn't respond to requests for comment. A spokesman for Warren also declined to comment.

The big banks' opposition to Warren, a fierce consumer advocate, is no shocker.

http://crooksandliars.com/karoli/big-banks-line-block-elizabeth-warrens-appo

8 replies, 1158 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to UCmeNdc (Original post)

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 11:51 AM

1. Even more reason to put her on the committee.

Whoever's in charge had best do it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 11:53 AM

2. There are TWO slots open on that Committee

If she's not on that committeet - then the bankers won. But then we need to punish them . . .

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 11:54 AM

3. She will be in the committee. This is a non issue. Can we focus on real issues?

Now, if she is not, Reid needs to leave the leadership, but I dont think this is an issue.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 12:42 PM

4. Last Time The Banks & Repugs Tried To Keep Her From Becoming Consumer Protection Guru She......

turned up to be a Senator. Now if they work to keep her off of this committee - maybe in 2016 she turn up to be President. Hmmm.... stranger things have happened.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 12:49 PM

5. Oh, well, if the Big Banks don't want Senator-elect Warren on the Sen. Banking Committee

then she most definitely should be on the Senate Banking Committee!

As I've been telling people, there is a war ongoing in this country, the new civil war. It's between Big Corp and We the People. I'm We the People so of course I stand behind Senator-elect Warren's nom to the powerful Senate Banking Committee and I hope all Democrats - without hesitation - will, too.

Besides, Big Banks should stfu. They got their bail outs and we got spit. Now it's our turn.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueCaliDem (Reply #5)

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 03:12 PM

6. TURN UP THE HEAT

If the banks want something then WE do the opposite. After saving the banks we forgot to CHARGE a good fee for the COST.

This lady will cook the bankers ALIVE...........

CHEERS

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 12:05 PM

7. If the banks are afraid of Elizabeth Warren that can only mean she is the right person for the job.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 01:07 PM

8. Whoever Harry Reid wants on that committee, goes on that committee. Big Banks can fuck themselves.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread