HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » After Democrats Gain Acro...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 06:33 PM

After Democrats Gain Across the Country, Conservative Voters Wonder Where They Fit

CHEYENNE, Wyo. — By now, voters here are over the initial shock. The ranchers, businessmen and farmers across this deep-red state who knew, just knew that Americans would never re-elect a liberal tax-and-spender president have grudgingly accepted the reality that voters did just that.

But in the days since the election, a blanket of baffled worry has descended on conservatives here like early snow across the plains, deepening a sense that traditional, rural and overwhelmingly white states in the center of the country are losing touch with an increasingly diverse and urban American electorate.

- snip -

One of the state’s newest elected officials is M. Lee Hasenauer, who runs a tree trimming service and just won a two-year seat as a Laramie County commissioner. His views — described as “pretty out there” by fellow conservatives in the state — are that Mr. Obama won through voter fraud, that the county is veering leftward toward fiscal ruin and that something fundamental is now different about American politics.

- snip -

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/19/us/politics/after-democrats-gain-across-the-country-conservative-voters-wonder-where-they-fit.html?_r=0

11 replies, 2151 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply After Democrats Gain Across the Country, Conservative Voters Wonder Where They Fit (Original post)
Tony_FLADEM Nov 2012 OP
RKP5637 Nov 2012 #1
LiberalElite Nov 2012 #2
geek tragedy Nov 2012 #4
liberalmuse Nov 2012 #3
SmittynMo Nov 2012 #10
elleng Nov 2012 #5
CurtEastPoint Nov 2012 #6
Dubster Nov 2012 #7
RKP5637 Nov 2012 #8
LineNew Reply I
John2 Nov 2012 #9
NYC Liberal Nov 2012 #11

Response to Tony_FLADEM (Original post)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 06:39 PM

1. Conservative Voters are obsolete in the 21st Century. They need to learn how to work

with everyone rather than against everyone, especially on social values. People are fed up with the NO and HATEFUL crowd.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 06:52 PM

2. Glad they may still want to fit in -

I suggest dropping right wing media as a first step back to normalcy.

Reply to this post

Response to LiberalElite (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 06:59 PM

4. They don't want to fit in:

He was bewildered by the results on election night.

“I thought Romney was a shoe-in,” he said. “Something is way wrong. It may take a revolution to straighten out our government.”

His friend Bradley Harrington, who publishes a year-old conservative newspaper called Liberty’s Torch and hosts an AM radio talk show, said the election vindicated conservative politicians and commentators who talked about the 47 percent of Americans who pay no income tax, of makers and takers.

“The parasites now outnumber the producers,” Mr. Harrington said. “That’s why Romney lost, and I think it’s going to get worse.”

They hate what America actually is.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 06:57 PM

3. Looks like most of them are still blaming others...

for their loss. It was Mitt, or the software, or "lazy minorities" who wanted "free stuff". They still don't get it. This election was an across the board rejection of their "values".

Reply to this post

Response to liberalmuse (Reply #3)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 02:02 PM

10. Of course, they're blaming others

That's their motto. Not for once, would they even consider, how wrong they are for this country. Hopefully this will be it for them.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 07:02 PM

5. Its wrong to refer to them as 'conservatives,'

this bunch is all the terms we've used for the past few years, and 'conservative' is not among them.

Conservative is: Holding to traditional attitudes and values and cautious about change or innovation, typically in politics or religion

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 07:18 PM

6. Gack: He wrote on his site: "M. Lee has been married to his lovely wife Loretta for 21 years and has

five children - all Republicans!

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 07:29 PM

7. Spam deleted by gkhouston (MIR Team)

Reply to this post

Response to Dubster (Reply #7)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 08:34 PM

8. Quite true. Fox News And The Conservative Media Machine Scumbags have turned

them into hateful repulsive beings. The new so called conservatives are full of nothing but hatred. The old time GOP one could work with and team for solutions. The new GOP is full of nothing but hatred. And frankly, hatred for what America stands for. The new GOP is IMO a bunch of terrorists against most Americans.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 10:50 PM

9. I

actually resent some 27 year old white guy telling me I'm not American. Just who does he think he is. He has been living in Wyoming too long and the United States actually let you live on that land when they pushed the Indians off. The U.S. Government is why you live there and with the help of the U.S. calvary. And some of them were Black soldiers. So who the hell are they to say who is an American? He needs to go back and find out how America evolved into the country it is.

I'm going to bring up Romney also. It was the U.S. government that helped Romney's family, when they had hard times. Just how does he think his father was able to put him through school? His mother said it best about the U.S. social services during the Great Depression. They got assistance because they lost everything in Mexico. These people are so self centered.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 02:21 PM

11. If Republicans are smart they will move to the center and support

things like marriage equality and marijuana legalization. They can support them with a conservative frame -- ie, make it about smaller government (government shouldn't be telling you who you can marry or what plants to grow).

From what we've seen over the past few weeks though, I suspect they still don't get it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread