HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Trickle-Down Bribery, or,...

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:23 AM

Trickle-Down Bribery, or, The Butch Cassidy Congress

Nov 17, 2012 4:45 AM EST

Staffers all but run Congress, but finally they need to keep the boss happy. And a happy official is one whose donors are happy, writes Lindsay Mark Lewis.

“Well, if there ain’t going to be any rules, let’s get the fight started.”
—Butch Cassidy

The House of Representatives in the 112th Congress has earned its single digit approval rating with aplomb. Gridlock, brinksmanship, mistrust, and meaningless partisan votes make today’s Congress the most dysfunctional I’ve seen in twenty years working on and around Capitol Hill.

Today, it pays to be an ardent partisan. Both parties now have super PACs—outside political organizations established by the Supreme Court’s Citizen’s United decision—that accept millions in unlimited donations to support candidates. Democrats have House Majority PAC and Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) has established the Young Guns Action Fund for Republicans. Members may not be able to coordinate their activities with a super PAC, but they sure can raise money for them.

Though a July poll found two-thirds of Americans uncomfortable with unrestricted money in politics, the Supreme Court ruled that this influx of cash will not jeopardize our democratic process. Donors “might have influence or access to elected officials,” reads the Citizen’s United decision, but it “does not mean that those officials are corrupt.”

That interpretation may be technically correct, but it’s clear a majority of Supreme Court Justices have no idea how politics really works. I do. I’ve seen first hand how corruption infiltrates Congress. While Members’ votes are not necessarily for sale, America’s legislative process most certainly is. And the super PAC era is making the situation exponentially worse.

read more:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/11/17/trickle-down-bribery-or-the-butch-cassidy-congress.html

3 replies, 472 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trickle-Down Bribery, or, The Butch Cassidy Congress (Original post)
DonViejo Nov 2012 OP
Wounded Bear Nov 2012 #1
smaug Nov 2012 #2
Wounded Bear Nov 2012 #3

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:26 AM

1. In so many ways we've returned to the robber baron days of the mid !800's

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Wounded Bear (Reply #1)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 12:03 PM

2. That was the Reich WingNuts intent

Unfettered crony capitalism buying votes wholesale.

Reply to this post

Response to smaug (Reply #2)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 12:43 PM

3. Absolutely!

Hard as it is, gotta keep up the good fight.

I have a daughter, currently 27, with a new baby. I'm fighting for them.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread