HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Obama’s 2012 Digital Fund...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 09:18 PM

Obama’s 2012 Digital Fundraising Outperformed 2008

Exclusive: Obama’s 2012 Digital Fundraising Outperformed 2008
By Michael Scherer
Nov. 15, 2012

Nearly a year ago, Barack Obama’s campaign manager Jim Messina took to YouTube with an expletive-laden post-holiday message for supporters. “People have speculated that this is a billion dollar campaign,” Messina said. “That’s bull—-.” And he meant it, at the time.

But when the final numbers are counted, Obama’s aides now expect more than $1 billion dollars to have been raised by the 2012 campaign and its affiliated party committees, breaking the 10-figure milestone for the first time in history. The reason is simple: the campaign brought in more small-dollar fundraising through email, social media, mobile and its website during the final months of the race than initially projected.

In total, according to new campaign calculations acquired exclusively by TIME, the Obama team raised about $690 million digitally in 2012, up from about $500 million in 2008, according to a senior campaign adviser. That number includes all contributions that were given electronically, including some donations that were generated by high-dollar fundraisers but logged through the website.

snip//

This success runs counter to the conventional wisdom, which held that Obama’s re-election campaign would struggle mightily to approach the enormous grassroots enthusiasm of his first presidential run. It is also a testament to the campaign’s leadership, including Messina, who invested heavily in digital efforts early, and the campaign’s digital team, run by Teddy Goff, Marie Ewald and Blue State Digital’s Joe Rospars, who were able to fine-tune their tactics and techniques for raising money electronically. It may also suggest that American voters over the last four years have become more comfortable with the idea of giving small amounts of money to a presidential campaign online.

Here are some other digital milestones that the 2012 campaign has been celebrating, according to the senior adviser who spoke with TIME:

more...

http://swampland.time.com/2012/11/15/exclusive-obamas-2012-digital-fundraising-outperformed-2008/?iid=sl-main-lead

10 replies, 797 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to babylonsister (Original post)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 09:21 PM

1. It was a great fundraising. Everyday new emails inviting you to donate. They made it so easy.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:24 PM

2. While it's awesome to see people wanting to donate

It's disgusting that this much money is needed to run for a political office.

Reply to this post

Response to Ztolkins (Reply #2)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:56 PM

4. It is (and I was sick of the emails) ... BUT

Whether people gave $15 or $50 or $500, these donations, in retrospect, seem to me something more than just money to be spent on ads or offices. Let me explain:

Whether a college student gives $25 (a large sum for many students) or the lady down the block $100, once they have been talked into donating, they have skin in the game. They have an investment to protect, and they are going to do that by (a) getting out to vote and/or (b) getting out to make phone calls or knock on doors.

Fundraising from a large base of small donors, I've decided, is a way to engage people actively in the campaign, and therefore in the issues and the electoral process. It's a way to get allegiance and action, beyond just dollars. I think the Obama team knows this.

A million one-dollar donations from a million people is worth a hell of a lot more than $1 million from a single rich tycoon who has only one vote (and is never going to go knock on doors for you).

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:22 PM

3. I wish stories like this were as commonplace as the much touted "enthusiasm gap" were.

The M$M sucks eggs, and they gave Romney every assist, at every turn, and they still couldn't make their made up narratives a reality. Screw 'em!

Reply to this post

Response to Tarheel_Dem (Reply #3)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 12:12 AM

8. Just like in 2008, Tarheel.. Obama beat the gop & the corporatemedia..

but I repeat myself.

Reply to this post

Response to Cha (Reply #8)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 12:52 AM

9. Exactly.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 12:05 AM

5. Giving more Reason why Citizen United will Never Be Killed

Reply to this post

Response to boingboinh (Reply #5)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 12:10 AM

7. You don't know that.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 12:09 AM

6. KNR..thanks babylonsistah Lookin' at you pundits who Pushed this meme..

"This success runs counter to the conventional wisdom, which held that Obama’s re-election campaign would struggle mightily to approach the enormous grassroots enthusiasm of his first presidential run. It is also a testament to the campaign’s leadership"

Chuck Toad..I mean Todd's Relentless Attempts to Push this down his viewers
gullets. I can't imagine Blitzer was any better. Jonathan Alter? Remember some of us said we were going to hold them Accountable?

Time to Tweet this to Chuck Todd.. who was also saying Obama Team was "swiftboating" poor mittLies with Bain..of all things.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 02:23 AM

10. The next Democratic nominee whomever he or she is is going to have to adapt this model

in order to survive and fund raise. Obama ran a great campaign in both 2008 and 2012, but the online fund raising provided him much more of an advantage in terms of not having to spend as much time with that and instead campaigning. I can tell you one thing, Obama is going to be a tough act to follow.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread