HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Help me debunk friends cl...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 11:08 PM

Help me debunk friends claim, Obama cutting military benefits

www.examiner.com/article/obama-to-cut-medical-benefits-for-active-retired-military-not-union-workers

In an effort to cut defense spending, the Obama Administration plans to cut health benefits for active duty and retired military personnel and their families while not touching the benefits enjoyed by unionized civilian defense workers.

The move, congressional aides suggested, is to force those individuals into Obamacare, Bill Gertz reported at the Washington Beacon.

Gertz added:

The proposed increases in health care payments by service members, which must be approved by Congress, are part of the Pentagon’s $487 billion cut in spending. It seeks to save $1.8 billion from the Tricare medical system in the fiscal 2013 budget, and $12.9 billion by 2017.

Not everybody is happy with the plan, however.

Military personnel would see their annual Tricare premiums increase anywhere from 30 - 78 percent in the first year, followed by sharply increased premiums "ranging from 94 percent to 345 percent—more than 3 times current levels."

"According to congressional assessments, a retired Army colonel with a family currently paying $460 a year for health care will pay $2,048," Gertz wrote.

Active duty military personnel would also see an increased cost for pharmaceuticals, and the incentive to use less expensive generic drugs would be gone.

Health benefits has long been a prime reason many stay in the military - but some in the Pentagon fear the new rules will hamper recruitment and retention.

“Would you stay with a car insurance company that raised your premiums by 345 percent in five years? Probably not,” one aide said.

John Hayward of Human Events adds:

Veterans will also be hit with a new annual fee for a program called Tricare for Life, on top of the monthly premiums they already pay, while some benefits will become “means-tested” in the manner of a social program – treating them like welfare instead of benefits for military service. Naturally, this is all timed to begin next year and “avoid upsetting military voters in a presidential election year,” according to critics.

There will be congressional hearings on the new military health care policies next month. Opposition is building in Congress, and among veterans’ organizations, including the VFW, which has “called on all military personnel and the veterans’ community to block the health care increases.”

Others are concerned about the double standard being set between uniformed military personnel - who are not unionized - and civilian defense workers who belong to public sector unions.

Gertz wrote:

A second congressional aide said the administration’s approach to the cuts shows a double standard that hurts the military.

“We all recognize that we are in a time of austerity,” this aide said. “But defense has made up to this point 50 percent of deficit reduction cuts that we agreed to, but is only 20 percent of the budget.”

The administration is asking troops to get by without the equipment and force levels needed for global missions. “And now they are going to them again and asking them to pay more for their health care when you’ve held the civilian workforce at DoD and across the federal government virtually harmless in all of these cuts. And it just doesn’t seem fair,” the second aide said.

At least one Congressman is standing with the military on this issue.

“We shouldn’t ask our military to pay our bills when we aren’t willing to impose a similar hardship on the rest of the population,” said Rep. Howard "Buck" McKeon (R-CA), who chairs the House Armed Services Committee.

“We can’t keep asking those who have given so much to give that much more,” he added.

McKeon will be joined by some 5 million members of 32 military service and veterans groups, according to retired Navy Capt. Kathryn M. Beasley of the Military Officers Association of America, who called the plan "a breach of faith."

The Beacon also noted the curious timing of the plan, which is set to begin next year - after the 2012 elections. Critics say this is designed so as not to upset military voters.

It's one more reason Barack Hussein Obama does not deserve to be re-elected in November.

20 replies, 19843 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 20 replies Author Time Post
Reply Help me debunk friends claim, Obama cutting military benefits (Original post)
Batt1eRatt1e Nov 2012 OP
NMDemDist2 Nov 2012 #1
SheilaT Nov 2012 #2
arcane1 Nov 2012 #4
DonViejo Nov 2012 #3
LaydeeBug Nov 2012 #5
BlueMTexpat Nov 2012 #6
HopeHoops Nov 2012 #7
BanTheGOP Nov 2012 #8
sylvi Nov 2012 #9
BanTheGOP Nov 2012 #17
curlyred Nov 2012 #10
Batt1eRatt1e Nov 2012 #11
curlyred Nov 2012 #12
curlyred Nov 2012 #13
Thrill Nov 2012 #14
Sunlei Nov 2012 #15
Odin2005 Nov 2012 #16
courseofhistory Nov 2012 #18
brokechris Nov 2012 #19
jekyllisland Mar 2013 #20

Response to Batt1eRatt1e (Original post)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 11:16 PM

2. Is this even a reliable source? Doing a quick and dirty google search turns up

nothing current on that. So I suspect it's another one of those pieces of crap that are out there.

However, if it's true, keep in mind that these same people want to cut Medicare and Social Security, and very many civilians have seen their health care premiums rise by huge amounts, so my sympathy to any group, like the military, is limited. Unfortunately, we spend more on our military than the entire rest of the world combined, and words fail me to express my outrage at this.

The real answer is a single payer system.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to SheilaT (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 11:36 PM

4. Anyone can post an article on that site, basically

My advice to the OP: the burden of proof is on the one making the claim.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 11:21 PM

3. Maybe this will help you:

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 02:57 AM

6. For one thing, this was a hit piece posted BEFORE the

election in an attempt to sway voters. Big Clue = the last sentence.

Second, on credibility: writer Gertz is a credentialed RW wackadoodle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Gertz

Third: Rep McKeon (R) is a pro-Romney Mormon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_McKeon

Fourth: see replies above.

Fifth: if Rs' lips are moving ... .

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 04:01 PM

7. The only answer to that is "turn off FOX". That's all bullshit.

Obama's the best friend the military has had since Clinton.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:35 PM

8. No reason to get hyper. We ARE cutting the budgets as recommended.

Yes, we are cutting the budgets of the military all around. What's the problem?

In fact, this is EXACTLY what we've been wanting to do for decades, now that we have the mandate to do it, we are doing it.

Just tell him proudly, HELL YEAH!! we are cutting your republican military/industrial complex budget! Last I heard, we hadn't drafted anyone in over 35 years, so the military knew what they were getting into and have no reason for complaint when their bloviated bennies get cut off.

Reply to this post

Response to BanTheGOP (Reply #8)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 03:28 PM

9. Who is "we", Kimosabe?

No Democrats that I know want to cut veterans' benefits. In fact, most want to increase them. It's rethuglicans who want to slash them. Funny that you would fall in line with Republicans.

Armed forces members get a relatively generous benefits package as part of their overall compensation because their base pay is shit, especially when you consider the hazards, real and potential, that they face.

And how would they "know what they were getting into" if their benefits were cut after they joined?

Reply to this post

Response to sylvi (Reply #9)

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 02:59 PM

17. "We" means most PROGRESSIVES.

We don't need this issue to win against the GOP, which is, for all pragmatic purposes, non-existent on a federal level. George Soros himself recommended cutting the VA benefits. And military pay, including their active duty medical plan, is WAYYY above their civilian counterparts. No need for it to continue once they leave the military. If they want it, they can pay for it like the rest of us. Better yet, integrate VA with Obamacare so we can incorporate the military facilities with those in needy communities so we can get people who really need the medical resources the proper treatments. Military retirees can afford their own.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 05:49 PM

10. You need a lot of help, don't you?

This is the third post of yours that I've seen wherein you say "help me debunk" and then you post a lot of previously debunked crapola. Alerted.

Reply to this post

Response to curlyred (Reply #10)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 06:39 PM

11. Read below

Sorry I'm an active duty Soldier and father of two who is going to college also. Don't have a ton of time to debunk claims.

Reply to this post

Response to Batt1eRatt1e (Reply #11)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 10:50 PM

12. You have time to post crapola here, you have time to check snopes

Or any of a million places. I call bullshit on your multiple posts just like this one. Alerted.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:04 PM

13. Bye-bye

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:13 PM

14. How about you make him prove it to you?

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:16 PM

15. Here give them the actual facts straight from our Gov.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 04:38 PM

16. No use, I tried reasoning with my Birther Iraq vet cousin about this.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 04:22 PM

18. My Husband is a veteran

and I'm a retired miitary spouse. After age 65 a person goes from Tricare standard or premium to Tri-care for life which is free. You pay premiums for standard and premium and whether or not they will go up, I have no idea. I have always opposed having to pay any premiums (which went into effect about 15 yrs. ago) because the military and retirees are supposed to get free life-time medical care. However, the premiums and changes that have happened haven't been Obama's doing.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 20, 2012, 06:25 PM

19. as far as I know,

Obama intends to cut the size of the military--but those that we still have will still have good benefits.

Fine with me--we don't need to be the world's policeman.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread