HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » A single spiteful email u...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:24 AM

A single spiteful email unlocks a Pandora’s box

Last edited Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:18 AM - Edit history (1)

BY ADAM GOLDMAN

WASHINGTON (AP) — It started in May with a spiteful email to the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan. An anonymous writer warned Gen. John Allen that a friend with whom he was meeting in Washington the following week was trouble and he should stay away from her.

Allen thought the email was a joke because he didn’t know how anybody else would know about his personal plans with his friend, Florida socialite Jill Kelley, a person close to Kelley said.

That email started a chain of events that led to the downfall of CIA Director David Petreaus, put Allen’s career on hold and landed a decorated FBI agent in hot water for talking about an ongoing investigation. The FBI traced that email and others of a similar vein to Paula Broadwell, Petraeus’ biographer, who agents would soon learn had also been his lover.

The fast-moving scandal broke just days after President Barack Obama was elected to a second term in office. Obama’s administration had been on the defensive for weeks because of a terror attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, that left four Americans dead. Briefings on the attack had been postponed until after the election and are now focused more immediately on Petraeus’ love life than on how terrorists were able to attack the poorly defended consulate.

-snip-

read more:
http://www.salon.com/2012/11/15/a_single_spiteful_email_unlocks_a_pandoras_box/

8 replies, 1222 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply A single spiteful email unlocks a Pandora’s box (Original post)
DonViejo Nov 2012 OP
demhottie Nov 2012 #1
DonViejo Nov 2012 #2
demhottie Nov 2012 #6
Coyotl Nov 2012 #3
demhottie Nov 2012 #7
lunatica Nov 2012 #4
oswaldactedalone Nov 2012 #5
okwmember Nov 2012 #8

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:27 AM

1. Link please?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to demhottie (Reply #1)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:18 AM

2. Added. Sorry about that!

Reply to this post

Response to DonViejo (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 10:13 AM

6. Thx!

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:19 AM

3. Wait a minute. The lead sentence is wrong, not?

Wasn't the e-mail that launched all this sent to the woman, warning her away from Patraeus, and then reported to her "shirtless friend" and rogue FBI agent who later broke the law and went to a Congressman and blabbed about an ongoing investigation he thought was less-ongoing than he would have liked because he is a neo-con and wanted this to malign Obama?

I hope I'm getting the rumors straight

Reply to this post

Response to Coyotl (Reply #3)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 10:15 AM

7. I have the same question

I have been reading lately that the email in question was sent to Allen, but previously that it was sent to Kelley?

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:27 AM

4. It's a fascinating story

But hopefully just salacious and not leading to any serious crimes. I'd hate to think of two top military brass being involved in crimes.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:44 AM

5. One point of disagreement I have with the story

is I don't understand why her email is considered "spiteful." Seems to me that Broadwell recognized the poison that is Jill Kelley and was trying to warn General Allen away from it.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 10:29 AM

8. Not to take a side but the meeting was between Allen and

both the Kelley's, Jill and her husband Scott. So I would resent the implication that there was an affair with no proof.
Also, but for Broadwell and her jealous emails everybody's private business would have remained just that.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread