HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » LOL. All the Repubs have ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:15 PM

LOL. All the Repubs have got the "stove-pipe" meme down pat. None of them can think independently.

Apparently John McCain and Lindsey Graham have written the script. And, no change in the game plan, they're all on board.

12 replies, 1381 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply LOL. All the Repubs have got the "stove-pipe" meme down pat. None of them can think independently. (Original post)
pinto Nov 2012 OP
gateley Nov 2012 #1
Sekhmets Daughter Nov 2012 #2
gateley Nov 2012 #5
ProudProgressiveNow Nov 2012 #7
pinto Nov 2012 #4
riverwalker Nov 2012 #3
Warpy Nov 2012 #6
ProudProgressiveNow Nov 2012 #8
Warpy Nov 2012 #11
EC Nov 2012 #9
pinto Nov 2012 #10
Proud Liberal Dem Nov 2012 #12

Response to pinto (Original post)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:16 PM

1. They ALWAYS parrot the talking point of the day. And manage to insert it regardless of the topic.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to gateley (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:17 PM

2. Luntz & Gingrich

taught them well...

Reply to this post

Response to Sekhmets Daughter (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:27 PM

5. Luntz is brilliant -- his terms have become past of the lexicon and even WE say

"Climate change" instead of global warming, for example. Of course, the Republicans are masters at adapting and staying on topic, something we're not known for .

I wish we had one just like him.

Reply to this post

Response to gateley (Reply #5)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:48 PM

7. Yes, evil genius that one...

Reply to this post

Response to gateley (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:22 PM

4. Don't they though? I almost felt sorry for the (R) rep on CNN just now. She was struggling to get it

in there. Had little more to say than the script.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:17 PM

3. Now, if we could just hook up the stovepipe

to the exhaust of a '59 Chevy.............

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:28 PM

6. I've been seriously under the weather

so I have no clue what the meme is, but I'll wager half of them and none of their nitwit fans has a clue what a stovepipe is.

Reply to this post

Response to Warpy (Reply #6)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:50 PM

8. Stovepiping?

Stovepiping is a metaphorical term which recalls a stovepipe's function as an isolated vertical conduit, and has been used, in the context of intelligence, to describe several ways in which raw intelligence information may be presented without proper context. It is a system created to solve a specific problem. The lack of context may be due to the specialized nature, or security requirements, of a particular intelligence collection technology. It also has limited focus and data within is not easily shared. Alternatively, the lack of context may come from a particular group, in the national policy structure, selectively presenting only that information that supports certain conclusions. The term is typically used in the health care system. An example would be how money funded for research is not evenly allocated- but goes into one specific aid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stovepiping

Who knew. First time I have heard the term...

Reply to this post

Response to ProudProgressiveNow (Reply #8)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 10:23 PM

11. Yeah, I sort of knew that context

because that's how Curveball's ravings were delivered directly to the OSP and thence to the neocons and Congress. Nobody bothered to check anything out, they just shot it right up the pipeline.

What I don't know is today's meme.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 07:48 PM

9. I think the last election

shows that it's not working anymore. Normal people have seen right through them and are tuning them out.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 08:28 PM

10. Lindsey's using a dated meme here to advocate for a big Congressional hoopla. (Think McCarthy).

Stove pipes were often disjointed pieces of tin pipe, poorly fit together to vent a stove. We've all seen them in old movies or cartoons.

The analogy here has a bit of credence. But barely to the level Lindsey supports.

Lindsey wants a pre-emptive broad Congressional investigation on an on-going situation.

I'll add another dated meme that may apply - Lindsey wants to out the "fellow travelers". His paranoia echoes McCarthy's.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 10:46 PM

12. It's amazing how eager they are to investigate the deaths of 4 Americans in Libya on 09/11/12

and how they and other Republicans had to be practically dragged kicking and screaming after 2-3 years into investigating the death of 3K Americans on 09/11/01 or how they NEVER investigated the lies, corruption, and deceit that lead to the deaths of 4K-5K Americans in Iraq from 2003-2011.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread