HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Obama To Republicans: Tax...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:56 PM

Obama To Republicans: Tax Rates Will Rise Unless You Can Make Your Impossible Math Work

President Obama is giving Republicans in Congress a tough assignment: If you don’t want marginal tax rates on top earners to go up, bring me an alternative way to raise $1 trillion in revenue without burdening the middle class.

Politically and mathematically speaking, it’s a nearly impossible task. And moreover, Obama said he won’t allow Republicans to use dubious conservative theories about tax cuts, or vague promises of future action, to meet it. But importantly, it’s also a way for him to enter negotiations with House Republicans without appearing to have closed himself off to any compromise.

“What I have told leaders privately as well as publicly is that we can not afford to extend the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy,” he told reporters at his first post-election press conference at the White House. “When it comes to the top two percent what I’m not going to do is extend further a tax cut for folks who don’t need it.”

But Obama hedged ever so slightly, to allow Republicans to figure out an alternative path toward the same revenue goal with the same distributional impact — a task that’s eluded independent tax experts for years.

read more:
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/11/obama-taxes-two-percent-loopholes.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

3 replies, 638 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Obama To Republicans: Tax Rates Will Rise Unless You Can Make Your Impossible Math Work (Original post)
DonViejo Nov 2012 OP
Dubster Nov 2012 #1
Cha Nov 2012 #2
DCKit Nov 2012 #3

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:11 PM

1. Spam deleted by gkhouston (MIR Team)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:14 PM

2. Thanks DonViejo