HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » "This is An Artifici...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 03:50 PM

"This is An Artificial Crisis, to Steal From the Middle Class"

A few days ago, Alan Grayson was back on national TV with Cenk Uygur, host of “The Young Turks,” talking about the so-called “fiscal cliff.” Here is what they said:

CENK UYGUR: What’s unacceptable is how Washington continues to screw the Middle Class over. Now a guy who has been fighting against that is Representative Alan Grayson. He’s a former congressman and a future congressman because he just got elected to Florida’s (9th) District in Orlando. Congressman Grayson, (it’s) great to have you here. First of all, talk to me about the “Grand Bargain.” As it is currently structured, are you in favor of it or against it?

ALAN GRAYSON: I’m entirely against it. Look, Naomi Klein wrote a whole book about this, called The Shock Doctrine. This is an artificial shock. It’s being induced in order to be able to justify policies you could not possibly justify on their merits, and I think that people are getting very frustrated about this. The polls clearly show that over three quarters of the population doesn’t want any cuts in benefits in Social Security, or any cuts in benefits for Medicare, in order to be able to reduce the deficit. What they want, a majority, want cuts in the defense budget, and they want an end to the war in Afghanistan to reduce the deficit. And instead what we are seeing is this artificial creation (of a crisis), right after we saw a real crisis. We saw a real crisis in Hurricane Sandy, and that’s what a real crisis looks like. An artificial crisis is being instituted to steal from us, to steal from the Middle Class, and to steal from people in need.
https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/artificialcrisis?refcode=Nov14DU

CENK: It’s so refreshing to hear a Democratic Congressman actually say that. https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/artificialcrisis?refcode=Nov14DU

So now, unfortunately, not only do you have the Republicans against you, it appears that you’ve got the Administration against you. They can’t wait to do this Grand Bargain. So how in the world do progressive Democrats fight back to make sure it doesn’t happen?

ALAN: Well, first we have to make sure people understand there is a third choice. We can’t have the Republican Party saying, “We want to strip away your Medicare and your Social Security,” like they do in the Ryan Budget, which they all voted for and which passed the House, and then have the Democratic Party say, “Have half.” That doesn’t work. There’s got to be a third alternative. Somebody has to say, “No, that’s just not the way we are going to do this. We’re not going to strip money from the people in need. We’re not going to throw Grandma from the train. We’re just not going to do it.”

What you’re going to see is that this will become a litmus test. This will become a litmus test in the Democratic Party, in the same way that favoring tax cuts for the rich has become a litmus test for the Republican Party. Anybody who votes for cuts in Social Security and cuts in Medicare can expect a primary in the year 2014.

CENK: That would be terrific. Now, as you go into this Congress, and unfortunately you are going to get there after the lame duck session, where they might cut this Grand Bargain. How much of a fighting squad do you have with you? How many progressives can stand up and actually say that? Is it a large enough block to actually throw a roadblock into what’s happening?

ALAN: Yes, but it shouldn’t come to that. The Democratic Party should be united. We are the Party that created Social Security. We are the Party that created Medicare. We should stand behind it. We should protect it. It’s amazingly popular among the voters. Why should we shoot ourselves in the head by saying we’re going to end these programs, we’re going to cut back these programs, when we created them and the voters love them?

CENK: It is such a good question. Unfortunately there is no good answer for that, except for the fact that, of course, a lot of the Democratic Party establishment also takes money from corporations, and the rich and the powerful, and so no matter what the election says, the rich and the powerful including the defense contractors wind up winning anyway. We hope that you can be successful in your fight back on the policy issues. And, as always, thank you so much for joining us Congressman Grayson.

ALAN: Thank you very much. It’s a pleasure. Thank you.

To see the video, or to support our campaign, click here.

56 replies, 5901 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 56 replies Author Time Post
Reply "This is An Artificial Crisis, to Steal From the Middle Class" (Original post)
Alan Grayson Nov 2012 OP
amborin Nov 2012 #1
Dubster Nov 2012 #2
tama Nov 2012 #4
orpupilofnature57 Nov 2012 #52
Whisp Nov 2012 #3
Hydra Nov 2012 #12
Whisp Nov 2012 #5
Cha Nov 2012 #10
Hydra Nov 2012 #13
Whisp Nov 2012 #16
Hydra Nov 2012 #21
oldbanjo Nov 2012 #25
Fuddnik Nov 2012 #28
Whisp Nov 2012 #30
sofa king Nov 2012 #40
Myrina Nov 2012 #6
ProudProgressiveNow Nov 2012 #7
WorseBeforeBetter Nov 2012 #8
ProfessionalLeftist Nov 2012 #9
Skittles Nov 2012 #11
DJ13 Nov 2012 #14
phantom power Nov 2012 #15
forestpath Nov 2012 #17
theaocp Nov 2012 #18
marlakay Nov 2012 #19
limpyhobbler Nov 2012 #20
Doremus Nov 2012 #22
byeya Nov 2012 #23
zentrum Nov 2012 #24
stupidicus Nov 2012 #26
go west young man Nov 2012 #27
Fuddnik Nov 2012 #29
juajen Nov 2012 #46
qwlauren35 Nov 2012 #31
juajen Nov 2012 #47
colsohlibgal Nov 2012 #32
boingboinh Nov 2012 #33
BelgianMadCow Nov 2012 #34
OneGrassRoot Nov 2012 #35
Whisp Nov 2012 #36
AzDar Nov 2012 #37
Blue Owl Nov 2012 #38
pipewrench Nov 2012 #39
woo me with science Nov 2012 #41
WinkyDink Nov 2012 #42
xchrom Nov 2012 #43
BlueCaliDem Nov 2012 #44
Zorra Nov 2012 #45
forestpath Nov 2012 #48
woo me with science Nov 2012 #49
woo me with science Nov 2012 #50
Change has come Nov 2012 #51
woo me with science Nov 2012 #53
Buns_of_Fire Nov 2012 #54
Overseas Nov 2012 #55
bread_and_roses Nov 2012 #56

Response to Alan Grayson (Original post)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 03:52 PM

1. yes, and the CBO has cooked the books to provide "evidence" for their scaremongering:

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 03:58 PM

2. Spam deleted by gkhouston (MIR Team)

Reply to this post

Response to Dubster (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:02 PM

4. That's class war

I'm in favor of building a classless society.

Reply to this post

Response to Dubster (Reply #2)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 01:31 PM

52. Which is a euphemism for Terrorists

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:01 PM

3. Is this suggesting Obama is setting us all up for a grand robbery?

I know Cenk likes to go in that direction sometimes but I can't really get a bead on what Grayson is really saying.

Reply to this post

Response to Whisp (Reply #3)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:35 PM

12. It's not a matter of "suggesting"

Like the Healthcare debate, we have the facts on the table.

What gets done with the facts are the Administration's business. Whether we support what they come up with is our business.

I didn't and don't support the mandate in the ACA without at least a public option. I don't support a "Grand Bargain" that erodes what FDR risked his life to bring us when there are so many better places to get the needed monies from.

The fact is, California is now projected to be back in the black with the tax increase they put in place. Tax the rich- they'll just buy the gov't instead.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:13 PM

5. jesus, why can't we just see what the deal is before setting our toupees on fire. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to Whisp (Reply #5)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:52 PM

10. Because that wouldn't be as profitable?

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:37 PM

13. Because by then the deal will be sealed

Like the single payer/public option sell-out.

The media is driving the message that there's a crisis, and we need to keep taxes low on the rich and gut the new deal.

If we don't say anything about it, that's going to be the only message out there.

Reply to this post

Response to Hydra (Reply #13)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:49 PM

16. I don't consider ACA a sellout

many people are better off now because of it and will have it better still in 2014.

Eventually you will have a proper health care system like most of the rest of western countries do because of Obamacare.

Why it took so long is a whole other long conversation, but I can tell you that it is a process and no where did it start all wrapped up and finished in one attempt.

Reply to this post

Response to Whisp (Reply #16)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:57 PM

21. The ACA would have killed me and mine when it went into force

I just got lucky.

The Public option was doable, but got dumped in the negotiations with the insurance companies. That fact won't ever be erased by whatever clunky progress we get through Romneycare.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:36 PM

25. I was thinking the same thing, wait and see.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 07:07 PM

28. You don't stand in front of a firing squad and say, "Let's see if they really do this".

It's too late when you find out.

You've got a Democratic Congressman warning you. You've had the Presidents past statements and positions and offers for evidence.

When you know it's gonna be a bad deal, there's no sense waiting for details. As Grayson says, "We can't have the repukes saying we want to cut everything, and we "compromise (Translation: get rolled)" and say we'll only give you half. You're screwed regardless.

Reply to this post

Response to Fuddnik (Reply #28)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 07:40 PM

30. if you and Grayson think Obama is going to sell us out, then what can I say.

I believe Obama will do his best for us all. I believe he is an honest man.
He is against opponents that have no scruples or morals, so it surely won't be easy but he will do what he can but he will expect us to help him, not hinder him.

To imply that he is as dirty as what the Republicans have been is really quite disgusting to me.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 03:38 PM

40. Agree.

This is exactly the type of "negotiation" at which the President excels. The GOP has already given away the Bush tax cuts and will never get them back. They have already given away their ability to grind the government to a halt for lack of funding. They can't get the Iraq war back. They can't manipulate energy prices with impunity.

And, if they don't bend over for the President and Congressional Democrats this time, they'll get whipped 3 to 1 in the next round of Senate elections and hand us a supermajority. So we have time and patience on our side, too.

If nothing at all happens at this point, hundreds of billions of dollars in additional revenue will begin to flow from the expiration of the tax cuts. That's a done deal and that is the start line for any negotiations. Republicans won't even be able to reach the start line, because that is what they wish to destroy.

This is the genius of President Obama. Every single time, he identifies the primary motivation of Republicans (easy: greed) and the flaws in their avaricious plans, and turns that greed upon them to make them sacrifice political power and electoral viability.

The Republicans are in a choke-hold and every thrash and jerk is weaker than the last. The real question is whether we'll keep them in the hold until they are unconscious... or dead.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:15 PM

6. Thank you, Sir.

We need to re-frame the conversation rather than buying into the 'Chicken Little' form of governing.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:30 PM

7. K&R nt

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:47 PM

9. Damn right. Tweeting and Facebooking this.

Thank you Congressman Grayson!

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:09 PM

11. of course it is

THANK YOU ALAN, for speaking the TRUTH

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:39 PM

14. K&R, thank you

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:40 PM

15. kick

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:50 PM

17. K&R

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:51 PM

18. K&R

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:52 PM

19. and away he goes…..

Nice to have you back in congress Alan!

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 05:56 PM

20. We need more Dems like Alan Grayson. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:11 PM

22. Thank you for speaking the truth. Now we all need to take heed.

And ACT before the deal is done and it's too late to act.

Thank you again for your participation here. America has a dearth of good leadership and I'm thrilled you've rejoined the fight.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:26 PM

23. If you have ever donated to Alan Grayson, these will come to your email address.

Like the guy myself; need more like him.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:31 PM

24. Alan, so glad you're back...

...in Congress. It's a taste of what having a real Democratic Party would be like.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 06:52 PM

26. BUT, BUT, ALAN MUST BE DRINKING THE RIGHTWINGER KOOL-AID

if he thinks there's even a remote possibility that any dem -- including the pres -- would dare touch the third rails.

Only anti-Obama traitors in all ways and not their rightwingnut allies would think that, no?

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 07:02 PM

27. Great post! Thanks ever so much for standing up for ordinary people.

The amazing thing about the so called "fiscal Cliff" is that it was being trumpeted before the election was even over. Just as Obama was obviously the winner. I think it was being done to take the wind out of our newly inflated sails. Why isn't the Democratic Party coming out strong in regards to the win? We should be dictating the terms. Not having them dictated to us. It's time to steam roll over the republicans, not compromise with them. Glad to see we have at least one great fighter here.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 07:09 PM

29. Kick and rec!

Grayson-Kucinich 2016.

Reply to this post

Response to Fuddnik (Reply #29)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 12:10 PM

46. Like that would ever fly! I love them both, but "radical" thinking will not get elected in

either party. As I have said many times, think Aristotle's "Golden Mean". Another phrase that means basically govern from the middle.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 07:44 PM

31. Actually, I'd like a different litmus test.

See how many in Congress are willing to cut the defense budget to avoid the fiscal cliff.

I'm not hearin' it...

Reply to this post

Response to qwlauren35 (Reply #31)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 12:30 PM

47. Yep, that's where the money is.

After all, we have to support that shadow government. I believe that is where the money goes. They really don't spend a thousand dollars on a toilet. It must be a major shock to become President and learn more than you ever wanted to learn about your country. I pray every day that our President will live. I was wrong to suspect his motives from the start. I was and still am such a fan of Hillary Clinton. There's a woman who knows all about White House secrets, and republicans. This is why we need a smarter electorate. Some people really believe that we need to spend trillions on defense to protect our interests, you know, like GE, Halliburton, Exxon, Chevron, Pepsi Cola, CokeCola, etc., the list is endless. However, they never think "corporations". When is the last time we were attacked? The thousands we kill, including our own children, for thugs and the 1%. Obama is wading through a morass, and we need to have his back and trust him to do the best he can. I really believe that he is a good man. I just hope "they" won't destroy him. He's really brave, as is his Michelle.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:59 AM

32. Dead On

Love Cenk. Him and Pap attacks by Mike Papantonio. They get right down to it and cut right through the double talk - really fighting for the middle and lower class.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 01:14 AM

33. TRANSLATION: Obama & the Republicans are Going to Rob Middle-Class!

And most DU users are fine with it since it is a democratic president doing the robbing. Stay classy.

Alan Grayson....i thank you...at least there is one democrat that won't sell his soul.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 06:12 AM

34. An elected politician that has read & seen The Shock Doctrine?

Awesome.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 07:47 AM

35. Wow! I love Mr. Grayson even more now for mentioning The Shock Doctrine on the air...

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:45 AM

36. have half?

ALAN: Well, first we have to make sure people understand there is a third choice. We can’t have the Republican Party saying, “We want to strip away your Medicare and your Social Security,” like they do in the Ryan Budget, which they all voted for and which passed the House, and then have the Democratic Party say, “Have half.”

When did Obama say Have Half? Come on....
Please show us cheerleaders what proof you have that Obama said this because I missed it.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:10 AM

37. K & R

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:25 PM

38. The Schock Doc is in the house

n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 03:11 PM

39. Great find - video's are eyeopening.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:41 AM

41. FINALLY, THE TRUTH.

THANK YOU, Alan Grayson!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:46 AM

42. And this is why Simpson and Bowles are on C-Span2 right now, to defend cuts.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:50 AM

43. du rec. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:18 AM

44. Thank you , Congressman Grayson. The "Grand Bargain" is a Grand-Sham. NO WAY

should or will this be offered again from our side. This was offered during the time of contentiousness when the TeaBaggers were holding up the debt ceiling raise, but I'm pretty sure not even President Obama would have gone through with it had the TeaBaggers agreed to it - which he knew they wouldn't, thanks to Grover Norquist's pledge.

Now, with Harry Reid finally going to do something to the filibuster rule this January since the Democrats have retained control of the Senate, we'll have taken back most power to pass real policies through that aren't watered-down. President Obama is not going to be Mr. Nice Guy this time around, as he's clearly shown.

Please continue to be our eyes and ears within the Republican House. We need you now more than ever, and congratulations on your very impressive win. It's comforting to know you're back in the House where you belong.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:45 AM

45. YAY! Congressman, this is exactly why you most likely received a substantial

number of donations to your campaign from 99% folks, in the amount of whatever we could spare, who live outside of your Congressional district.

We have discerned that you tell the truth about what is really going on, and we have confidence that you will represent the interests of the majority, and not just the economic elite, in your district, and the entire nation as well.

We're all so very sick and tired of Third Way pseudo-Democrats and their corporatist doublespeak lying and deception. We're so done with Third Way pseudo-Democrats who see their primary job as legislators as a function of maintaining the status quo and ensuring that the interests of the 1% are served to the maximum extent possible. We're livid that Third Way pseudo-Democrats constantly piss down our backs, smile condescendingly in our faces, and explain to us in scripted memes that it is raining.

We know that this is nothing new.

Franklin D. Roosevelt Letter to the Democratic Convention

July 18, 1940

Members of the Convention:

In the century in which we live, the Democratic Party has received the support of the electorate only when the party, with absolute clarity, has been the champion of progressive and liberal policies and principles of government.

The party has failed consistently when through political trading and chicanery it has fallen into the control of those interests, personal and financial, which think in terms of dollars instead of in terms of human values.

The Republican Party has made its nominations this year at the dictation of those who, we all know, always place money ahead of human progress.

The Democratic Convention, as appears clear from the events of today, is divided on this fundamental issue. Until the Democratic Party through this convention makes overwhelmingly clear its stand in favor of social progress and liberalism, and shakes off all the shackles of control fastened upon it by the forces of conservatism, reaction, and appeasement, it will not continue its march of victory.

It is without question that certain political influences pledged to reaction in domestic affairs and to appeasement in foreign affairs have been busily engaged behind the scenes in the promotion of discord since this Convention convened.

Under these circumstances, I cannot, in all honor, and will not, merely for political expediency, go along with the cheap bargaining and political maneuvering which have brought about party dissension in this convention.

It is best not to straddle ideals.

In these days of danger when democracy must be more than vigilant, there can be no connivance with the kind of politics which has internally weakened nations abroad before the enemy has struck from without.

It is best for America to have the fight out here and now.

I wish to give the Democratic Party the opportunity to make its historic decision clearly and without equivocation. The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time.

By declining the honor of the nomination for the presidency, I can restore that opportunity to the convention. I so do.

FDR

We wish to end this long standing, ludicrous, corrupt political status quo forever, and build a vibrant effective democracy that is designed to function as a system that serves the interests and provides a foundation for the overwhelming majority to have maximum opportunity to fully exercise our rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

We know that you will do your utmost to bring about this new national condition, and we are absolutely thrilled that you will soon be representing us in Congress once again.

Best Wishes, and welcome back!

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 12:37 PM

48. I wish we could clone Alan Grayson.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 05:35 PM

49. Hear, hear.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 01:14 PM

50. Kick. This is important. nt

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 01:20 PM

51. K & R

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 04:39 PM

53. Kick.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 03:21 PM

54. Welcome back, Mr. Grayson!

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 03:55 PM

55. K&R. Yes it is. More Democrats need to come out firmly on this. No Changes Needed on SSI, Medicare

and Medicaid now.

Right wing and conservative major media drumbeat on entitlement reform is just propaganda. We do not need it. Not now. Not until large cuts to much more wasteful programs are done and more revenue is raised.

We need to cut war profiteering and de-privatize military services, that would save billions.

We need a tiny transaction tax on Wall Street trades, which would probably reduce the millions of shares traded by robots.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 08:16 PM

56. K&R - with !!!!! - even if late (n/t)

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread