HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Maine's Angus King to Cau...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 12:59 PM

Maine's Angus King to Caucus With Senate Democrats

By Sunlen Miller | ABC OTUS News – 1 hr 43 mins ago

Maine's newly elected Independent senator-elect, Angus King, announced today that he'll caucus with the Democrats in the Senate, boosting the party's control to 55 seats, compared with 45 held by Republicans in the new Congress.

"I have decided to affiliate with the Democratic Caucus because doing so will allow me to take independent positions on issues as they arise and at the same time be an effective representative of the people of Maine," King announced in Congress this morning.

---------

King noted that the decision was "relatively easy" after the Democrats' victories on Election Day.

"In the situation where one party has a clear majority and effectiveness is an important criteria, affiliating with the majority makes the most sense," King said. "The majority has more committee slots to fill, has more control over what bills get considered, and more control over the Senate schedule."

More: http://news.yahoo.com/maines-angus-king-caucus-senate-democrats-161317128--abc-news-politics.html

4 replies, 652 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Maine's Angus King to Caucus With Senate Democrats (Original post)
ellisonz Nov 2012 OP
Dubster Nov 2012 #1
TroyD Nov 2012 #2
NewJeffCT Nov 2012 #3
TroyD Nov 2012 #4

Response to ellisonz (Original post)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 01:19 PM

1. Spam deleted by gkhouston (MIR Team)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 02:30 PM

2. Democrats snag another with Maine’s Angus King

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 02:30 PM

3. good news

2014 looks like it could be a tough year for Democrats in the Senate, just in relative terms of sitting senators defending seats... of course, Republics could mess it up and nominate Akin/Morlock/ODonnell/Angle types again.

Reply to this post

Response to NewJeffCT (Reply #3)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 02:51 PM

4. I'm hoping there won't be as many retirements in 2014

It was hard defending all the open seats this year with so many retirements (eg. Kohl in Wisconsin, Conrad in North Dakota, Bingaman in New Mexico, Lieberman in Connecticut, Nelson in Nebraska etc.), but other than the last one, they all remained in Democratic hands.

There are rumors that Rockefeller of West Virginia may retire, but I'm hoping he stays. Same goes for Baucus of Montana.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread