HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Help in Florida for 2014
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 02:29 PM

Help in Florida for 2014

Were going to need everyone's help in 2014 to dethrone Rick Scott from the throne here in Florida. While this may seem like a state issue to most outsiders, this is in fact a national issue of removing this guy from office. It's a national issue because Florida has the potential to be a very reliable blue state for many years to come, but that may not happen if we continue to allow Scott to run non-checked with his voter suprression tactics. This guy is on record stating that he wants to further reduce the early voting, continue to purge the voting roles, eliminating having the US Judical Department giving clearance to any changes he makes in five counties that are covered by law from changes because of past racism ploys. Right now, the only thing that has stood in Scott's way is a three Florida Supreme Court Justices that have blocked his ideas, but he tried in vain to have them removed from office, so that he could appoint his own judges. Keep in mind, the GOP has a stranglehold on the Fla House and Senate, so they are in tandem with Scott to block DEMS from voting in the future. This is a national issue that could have potential impact on future presidential election and we need your help to stop the crooks before it's too late.

12 replies, 859 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Help in Florida for 2014 (Original post)
Mojo2 Nov 2012 OP
hrmjustin Nov 2012 #1
Mojo2 Nov 2012 #2
Mojo2 Nov 2012 #3
UncleTomsEvilBrother Nov 2012 #6
Filibuster Harry Nov 2012 #4
Mojo2 Nov 2012 #5
UncleTomsEvilBrother Nov 2012 #7
Mojo2 Nov 2012 #8
kydo Nov 2012 #9
DrewSG Nov 2012 #10
Hutzpa Nov 2012 #11
EmeraldCityGrl Nov 2012 #12

Response to Mojo2 (Original post)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 02:38 PM

1. Is Sink running again.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 02:46 PM

2. Possibly

But early money is on Charlie Crist running, or Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer seem to be the front runners. The head of the Florida DEM Rod Smith was thought to be the early choice, but he has now backed out and this is creating spectulation that they are clearing the deck for Crist. Sink still could run, she lacked the charisma and was underfunded when she lost to Scott, but she only lost by a point or two. Keep in mind Scott spent nearly $80 million of his own dollars to win the position

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 02:48 PM

3. 2 early polls

Fascinating Aug. 5-7 Schroth Eldon & Associates poll of the potential Democratic primary field for governor in 2014. It wisely includes Miami resident Anthony Shriver, part of the Kennedy clan, who looked seriously at challenging Alex Sink for the Democratic nomination in 2010:

Alex Sink 31 percent; Charlie Crist 29 percent; Anthony Kennedy Shriver 8; Dan Gelber 3; Jimmy Morales 2; Nan Rich 1; Undecided 26.

In a hypothetical match-up for the 2014 democratic primary for Governor, who would you vote for:
Charlie Crist, Buddy Dyer, Nan Rich, Alex Sink or Rod Smith?
Charlie Crist:
60.9%
Buddy Dyer:
7.0%
Nan Rich:
3.5%
Alex Sink:
25.1%
Rod Smith:
3.4% ... Read more

Reply to this post

Response to Mojo2 (Reply #3)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 03:00 PM

6. Alex Sink does not need to run again.

Though my fear is that Crist would galvanize the rightwing republicans of the State, Sink (as stated earlier) has no charisma on camera. She did not seem interested during the debates and could not handle the smarmy Scott when confronted with the lies he spilled.

On top of that, the DEM party of FL has to be the worst DEM part in the union. We outnumber the republicans almost 2:1 here but there is barely any campaign to speak of. Two guys from the party came to my house for Sink during the campaign, and they both smelled of alcohol(no lie). FL DEM's campaign workers remind me of the help that stores like Circuit City and Kmart hire to stand on corners announcing their "going out of business" sales.

I'm certainly planning to volunteer because we need to do much better down here in Florida. Scott needs to go.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 02:54 PM

4. you got it

Need to defeat Scott. How do the republicans in florida vote? Didn't the long lines supress them too?

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 02:59 PM

5. Im sure it inconvienced some

but the Repubs in Florida are heavy on the absentee ballots and mail ballots. The elimination of early voting days was clearly a ploy to drive down DEM turnout, but I am sure some Repubs got ensnared in the long lines. No where in America should a person have to wait 5 to 6 hours to vote, as some people in Florida did, but bless their hearts they put Obama over the top. Many of the states bigger papers are calling on Scott to enact a voters rights bill, but he has declined. Charlie Crist has been like a maddog in a meatmarket attacking Scott over disenfanchising DEM voters.

Reply to this post

Response to Mojo2 (Reply #5)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 03:07 PM

7. The Only Thing That Will Stop Scott...

...is legal action which is why I'm glad we retained those 3 Supreme Court judges. He is the face of the Tea Party. I think it's cute that we try to put public pressure on him, but he won't budge. You see how the Tea Party faction caused that credit downgrade for the US last year? Well, that's the attitude we're up against when we're dealing with Rick Scott.

It's going to be interesting what he does/says when he's made to implement Obamacare.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 03:11 PM

8. He will let

the Federal Government implement it, so therefore, he can say that he never had a hand in it. This guy has cost the state more money that any Gov. that I can recall with all the legal issues. Scott like Romney, ran on one item agenda, that he would be able to create jobs, but he has failed in doing this!

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 04:14 PM

9. just tell me what to do

and I will be there with bells on. No really I hate scott can't wait to get rid of him. He is destroying our state. 2014 can't come fast enough.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 04:43 PM

10. hopefully Charlie Crist runs again

Hopefully Charlie Crist runs this time, I can't see another 4 years of Rick Scott in this state

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 04:51 PM

11. Our first task is to find THE candidate that will be appealing

to all classes of people. One that is able to communicate the democratic policies without the concerns of missteps.

Once we have the candidate, rest is should fall in place.

Time to recruit a solid candidate that can challenge him.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 04:58 PM

12. There's another thread stating how much we need Howard Deans 50 State Strategy

for future elections. We need it more than ever now. There are issues in Blue States like OR.
and WA. that are dealing with population changes in the Eastern part of the two states. There are
conservatives moving in from neighboring Red states that desire to live on the border of the two.

No income tax in WA. and no sales tax in OR. Work in WA. shop in OR.

Patty Murray won in 2010 with 52% vs. 48%. 2004 she won 55% to 43%

Given the right repuke candidate and an increase in red staters moving here
for various reasons we need to be prepared to launch a strong campaign for
her Senate seat. This is just my very humble opinion but we can't start soon enough.

Florida Dems did an amazing job this election. I vow never to say a negative comment about
Florida again out of gratitude for the miracle they made happen with hard work GOTV.
Everything you ask for should have started yesterday. The importance of FL. can't be over stated.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread