HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Eric Cantor knew about Pe...

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 06:23 AM

Eric Cantor knew about Petraeus

It also explains why Petraeus resigned after the election. I do not see this as a case of Petraeus protecting President Obama. Just the opposite.

More likely waiting to see if Romney would win and republicans had control of congress and enough power to try and squash this. My view is republicans would have had some Mickey Mouse hearing with Petraeus making some questionable testimony about Benghazi. Testimony that would have been damaging to the legacy of President Obama. Petraeus would probably have been willing to testify the moon really was made of cheese with this over his head.

Was this "whistle blower" telling Cantor that those sympathetic to republicans were having a hard time keeping this quiet. Just remember that republicans were in a bubble thinking they were guaranteed to win. I see Cantor wanting to hold this and use as a weapon after the election.

President Obama wins the election, republicans lose their ace card in Benghazi, and the FBI can't wait to see Petraeus hit the door. This is why the FBI do not have to get congressional approval for an investigation and members of congress know this. The checks and balance for the FBI is the judicial system. They can investigate, arrest, and charge but they still have to get a conviction. Petraeus violated military codes and committed security breaches. If he were to face charges it wouldn't be from the FBI. I doubt he will and I doubt we will ever get the full story.

"According to the Times, Reichert advised this F.B.I. employee to go to the Republican leadership in the House. The F.B.I. employee then told what he knew about the investigation to Eric Cantor, the House Majority Leader. Cantor released a statement to the Times confirming that he had spoken to the F.B.I. informant, whom his staff described as a “whistleblower.” Cantor said, “I was contacted by an F.B.I. employee who was concerned that sensitive, classified information might have been compromised.”

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/11/david-petraeus-paula-broadwell-were-politics-involved.html

32 replies, 3232 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 32 replies Author Time Post
Reply Eric Cantor knew about Petraeus (Original post)
lalalu Nov 2012 OP
SubgeniusHasSlack Nov 2012 #1
lalalu Nov 2012 #2
Chemisse Nov 2012 #3
SubgeniusHasSlack Nov 2012 #8
magical thyme Nov 2012 #15
Chemisse Nov 2012 #31
TahitiNut Nov 2012 #19
Chemisse Nov 2012 #30
Chemisse Nov 2012 #4
SubgeniusHasSlack Nov 2012 #9
lalalu Nov 2012 #11
Chemisse Nov 2012 #14
Hutzpa Nov 2012 #20
lalalu Nov 2012 #21
KharmaTrain Nov 2012 #23
Tutonic Nov 2012 #5
SubgeniusHasSlack Nov 2012 #10
Sunlei Nov 2012 #6
justiceischeap Nov 2012 #7
lalalu Nov 2012 #16
sammytko Nov 2012 #28
justiceischeap Nov 2012 #29
Loudestlib Nov 2012 #12
lalalu Nov 2012 #13
liberal N proud Nov 2012 #17
lalalu Nov 2012 #18
Hutzpa Nov 2012 #22
alcibiades_mystery Nov 2012 #24
John2 Nov 2012 #25
Comrade_McKenzie Nov 2012 #26
davidpdx Nov 2012 #27
LeftInTX Nov 2012 #32

Response to lalalu (Original post)

Response to SubgeniusHasSlack (Reply #1)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 06:31 AM

2. That Tripp woman was a trip.

I remember that snake in the grass.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 06:32 AM

3. Why keep mentioning the body shape of Monica Lewinsky?

People should be defined by their actions, not by their physical attributes.

Reply to this post

Response to Chemisse (Reply #3)

Response to SubgeniusHasSlack (Reply #8)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 07:27 AM

15. does "fathead fellator" work?

that way you keep the elision and replace the physical attribute with a mental one

Reply to this post

Response to magical thyme (Reply #15)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:37 AM

31. Much improved :)

Reply to this post

Response to Chemisse (Reply #3)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 07:44 AM

19. "Presidential knee-pad aspirant"... "human humidor" ... "awful orifice"

But I suppose "skank" would suffice, too.

Reply to this post

Response to TahitiNut (Reply #19)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:36 AM

30. Better - lol

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 06:33 AM

4. So what did the Republicans gain by this?

Trying to figure this all out.

Reply to this post

Response to Chemisse (Reply #4)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 06:56 AM

9. They were trying to gain The Presidency.

hamrove's hamfisted attempt was unsuccessful.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 07:03 AM

11. They didn't gain because President Obama won.

In my view the investigation was going to be used by republicans to have Petraeus give testimony favorable to republican lies about the embassy attack.

Republicans are in complete shock they lost the election. With Romney in the white house and control of congress they felt they had the power to contain this and blackmail Petraeus.

It seems there was some conflict behind the scenes. My guess is this "whistleblower" was telling Cantor some were having a hard time keeping this contained to be used as blackmail. When President Obama won the republicans knew it was over, the story was leaked out, and Petraeus was no longer worth protecting. Goodbye Petraeus.

Just my view of things. The timeline is starting to make sense.

Reply to this post

Response to lalalu (Reply #11)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 07:21 AM

14. Interesting theory.

It is very suspicious that the House leader was informed and not the White House.

Hopefully all the details will come out.

Reply to this post

Response to lalalu (Reply #11)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 07:50 AM

20. I'm also thinking of that photo with her and Karl Rove together

that was posted here on DU, kind of makes sense when you look at their trail path.

Reply to this post

Response to Hutzpa (Reply #20)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 07:55 AM

21. Agree, that photo raised more questions.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 08:26 AM

23. They Needed Petraeus "Testimony"...

Remember...Bullshit Mountain was trying to amp up the Benghazi fiasco and part of that attack was having Petraeus either come forward or testify in a manner that would leave more questions than answers and embarrass the Obama administration. Methinks there's some interesting timing as Willard no longer brought up the matter after the second debate (Proceed, Governor) which seems to be about the same time that Cantor caught wind of the scandal affair.

I think that Cantor was frozen...not sure what to do with this. If Petraeus was exposed in the waning days of the campaign...yes, it could hurt President Obama, but it would also backfire on the rushpublicans as Petraeus is a right wing icon from his Iraq days and surely if Willard had won he would have been sent to the Pentagon or possibly State...so outing Petraeus would create yet another distraction within the disjointed Rmoney campaign.

The problem right now is there are too many loose threads...fun for conjecture, but short on answers. I suspect we'll get those in the days ahead. One thing for sure...you know if Cantor could have used this scandal to hurt President Obama he would have...

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 06:33 AM

5. I think you are correct. The affair is a smokescreen.

Petraeus, Cantor, Senor ,etc. were trying to set something in motion regarding Benghazi that would be the big October Surprise. Cantor is dirty.

Reply to this post

Response to Tutonic (Reply #5)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 06:59 AM

10. The whole republickcon party is dirty.

They were trying to get away with another ronnie raygun style October surprise.

Didn't work.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 06:41 AM

6. Petraeus was setup as blackmail material to the max

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 06:43 AM

7. The FBI agent wasn't a whistle blower unless he feared reprisal for leaking

this information. The FBI has been investigating this for over a month now according to reports, and this agent only reached out to Reichert two weeks ago. So, IMO, the only way this agent qualifies as a whistleblower is if the FBI and/or CIA were planning on covering this up.

Reply to this post

Response to justiceischeap (Reply #7)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 07:29 AM

16. I don't see this as whistblowing either.

Just feeding info to Cantor.

Reply to this post

Response to justiceischeap (Reply #7)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:08 AM

28. According to NYztimes it was being investigated since the summer

Other other woman told FBI guy friend and set it in motion. When FBI guy friend thought things were going too slow, he told Cantor. Cantor did nothing, because for once it was none of his business, he knew it and let things proceed as needed.

It's the FBI guy, other other women that appear shady to me.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/12/us/us-officials-say-petraeuss-affair-known-in-summer.html?hpw

Reply to this post

Response to sammytko (Reply #28)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:02 AM

29. Just for clarities sake

The other other woman (Jill Kelley) told her FBI friend, who told WA state Rep. Reichert who then informed the agent to tell Cantor, who then told the FBI director.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 07:10 AM

12. Petraeus is a Republican

Reply to this post

Response to Loudestlib (Reply #12)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 07:16 AM

13. Yes and the republicans were going to

promise him protection if he testified their way. Having this over his head was just a little insurance. Just remember the republicans were certain they would be controlling the presidency and congress. They were salivating at the idea they would have hearings condemning and demanding prosecution of Obama after Romney was sworn in. This is how I see this was being played.

President Obama winning threw that whole plan out the window.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 07:31 AM

17. The republicans are still trying to pin this on Obama's legacy

They are still looking for ways to blame the White House and make it about Obama.

Reply to this post

Response to liberal N proud (Reply #17)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 07:35 AM

18. True

More dirty tricks to come.

Reply to this post

Response to liberal N proud (Reply #17)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 08:10 AM

22. They can try

Here is what's going to end up happening, the republicans are going to keep digging like a raccoon thinking there is food at the end, but to only find out that the hole is full of water. They then drown in their own mess.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 08:34 AM

24. "According to the Times, Reichert advised this F.B.I. employee to go to the Republican leadership.."

According to the Times, Reichert advised this F.B.I. employee to go to the Republican leadership in the House.

If I was Dave Reichert, I'd be lawyering up, pronto. You receive a possible security leak, and it's also a leak about an ongoing investigation by the FBI, and you take that to the "Republican leadership in the House" first??? I'm guessing this behavior violates any number of statutes, probably at the felony level. And Reichert - himself a detective for 20 years and having served 8 years as Sheriff of King County - surely knows the protocol for law enforcement employees leaking information to civilians about ongoing investigations!

It would seem to me that Reichert is out there with his dick in the wind on this thing. I would not be at all surprised to see him in handcuffs in the next few weeks.

Reply to this post

25. This

is similar to Eric Holder not even knowing what people in his Justice Department telling him they were doing an operation. They have people working in their Administration who is not loyal. That is why the President needs to be careful of what Republicans he invites to work in his Administration. I think this FBI agent needs to be dealt with. He is suppose to be Independent and not there just to feed information to the GOP. He needs to be fired or reprimanded.

Reply to this post

26. Another reason why every pick he makes for the next 4 years should come from the left. nt

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 09:03 AM

27. That makes sense

My question is was Petraeus as a piece by the Republicans in their game to try to get Obama? I'm just curious.

It sounds like if there had not been a potential national security issue involved the situation would have been more straight forward.

Only time will tell what really happened.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 12:31 AM

32. Kick....

Lots of info to digest

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread