HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Teacher Calling Reelectio...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 01:03 PM

Teacher Calling Reelection 'America's Funeral'

Parents at Lousiana's Delcambre Elementary School are furious after their children say a fourth grade teacher made derogatory comments about President Barack Obama.

Students tell KATC that the teacher arrived at school Wednesday wearing all black, "attending America's funeral" after Obama was reelected for a second term. She also reportedly said Obama would make the U.S. "the new China," and took hits at First Lady Michelle Obama's healthy school lunch initiative, which has triggered substantial student outcry.

Parent Lindsey Shello says she reached out to the teacher on Facebook regarding the incidents, but the educator denied the allegations and said the parent shouldn't believe everything her 9-year-old son tells her. Other students in the class, however, have told the same story.

"They want to believe everything their teacher says and if my kid hears the teacher says the sky is black, he's going to believe the sky is black because his teacher said it," parent Chassatey Jackson told KATC.

The parents add that teachers' personal opinions should stay outside the classroom, and they want an apology. School officials have not commented, pending further details on the case.
More can be read here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/09/delcambre-elementary-scho_n_2101888.html

10 replies, 1216 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to CoboWowbo (Original post)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 01:05 PM

1. A teacher said that?

Sheesh!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 01:07 PM

2. Is she in the Teacher's Union?

voting against her own interests.

Reply to this post

Response to RosedaleGuy (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 01:44 PM

7. many union teachers are against collective bargaining and benefits - they vote repub nt

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 01:08 PM

3. Teachers should NEVER say things like this in the classroom. NONE of my students know how I vote

it is just not appropriate.

I am VERY careful to present both sides of an issue and never talk down to someone who thinks opposite of me.

This year I had a very strong Romney backer ...his whole family canvassed for him. We had great spirited debates after each of the presidential debates, but to this day, this student does not know if I voted for Obama or Romney

Reply to this post

Response to demtenjeep (Reply #3)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 01:09 PM

5. now, former students...they do know my personal views but they are grown ups themselves

and I am not in a position of "power"

This teacher and any others on either side of the political spectrum who try to push their views on any student... it is just wrong.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 01:09 PM

4. They want an apology? I want her head (figuratively speaking of course)

Fire her ass.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 01:16 PM

6. This teacher obviously went past the line...

It is NOT the teacher's job to preach her brand of politics, regardless of side.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:22 PM

8. Fire her without the paid time off if she truly wants to live/teach in a conservative world. nt

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 01:22 AM

9. Really stupid decision on her part

Teachers are there to instruct, not to fill impressionable minds with their own sick biases

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 01:32 AM

10. I grew up with several teachers who spoke their politics

and every one of them was a RWNJ (although we didn't have a term for them at the time). It didn't affect my schooling any. They were just blowing off steam and rants were rare.

I'd ask the teacher to refrain from going overboard like this again and leave it at that.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread