HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Statehood Vote in Puerto ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 06:50 PM

Statehood Vote in Puerto Rico?

While all the political attention was on the presidential elections here in the good old USA, Puerto Rico also had elections that were the center of attention for the island nation. With 4.2 million Boricuas here in the mainland I think it is important for us to also know what is going on the island that many of us relate to in one way or the other.

Puerto Rico's 78 municipalities had local elections for mayor, representatives and of course the islands major election for governor.

The present pro-statehood governor, Luis Fortuņo had been involved in major controversies almost since his first year, like corruption of party officials within his administration, massive layoffs of public service employees, raising tuition in the almost-free University of Puerto Rico and then unleashing a brutal police attack against the students who were protesting to name a few.

Governor Fotuņo is a Republican and follows the extreme policy line of the stateside Big Brother Republican party. Unfortunately for him and his candidate for president, Mitt Romney, he will be looking for another job title come January 2013.

However there was another aspect of the Puerto Rico elections that did not get too much attention, except with those Puerto Ricans who want statehood for the island. The island also held a plebiscite regarding the status of the island. This is not the first. There have been plebiscites held in Puerto Rico for decades and they never really resolve anything. The choices of remaining a commonwealth, becoming a state, or an independent country are still as elusive as they have always been.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/julio-pabon/statehood-vote-in-puerto-_b_2094586.html

2 replies, 460 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Statehood Vote in Puerto Rico? (Original post)
JRLeft Nov 2012 OP
Justin_Beach Nov 2012 #1
JRLeft Nov 2012 #2

Response to JRLeft (Original post)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 06:59 PM

1. I was actually watching that

along with everything else going on. I hope Obama and the Dems unanimously support statehood. There are potentially two senators, five representatives and 7 electoral votes up for grabs. I think that the Dems could regularly have all or most of those and granting statehood would be a good place to start in wooing those voters.

On edit: Those numbers are based on a pop of 3.7 million which puts it between Connecticut and Oklahoma on the scale

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Justin_Beach (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 07:01 PM

2. Check out the other article I posted on it. The Cons would likely block it due to just that.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread