HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Moyers guest: ‘We should ...

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 06:44 PM

Moyers guest: ‘We should just let the Bush tax cuts expire’

Columnists and thinkers from both sides of the political aisle went back and forth on Bill Moyers on Nov. 9 regarding the reelection of Barack Obama and how best to help working families in America.

Former New York Times columnist and senior fellow at think tank Demos, Bob Herbert, said that more than anything, “I’ll remember is the way people turned out to vote in this election in the face of tremendous voter suppression efforts.”

Blogger for the National Review Online and Reuters columnist Reihan Salam said that this election would be a wake up call for Republicans. “I think that for a lot of conservatives and a lot of Republicans this was a very disappointing election that opened a lot of folks’ eyes to some of the deeper changes that have happened in the country, much more so in some respects than the 2008 election which I think a lot of folks wrote off as a one off, as a fluke, something that reflected very unique historical circumstances.”

Herbert bluntly stated his view of the relationship between the Republican party and minorities. “We need to be clear that this is a party that has been hostile to the interests of African Americans and hostile to the interests of Latinos in this country and hostile to the interests of working people in this country,” he said.

Salam disagreed, arguing that Republicans had real solutions to the problems of middle class Americans. But “the problem is that when you don’t have a more diverse group of people who are part of the conversation, then I think that it makes it very hard to translate that message to folks who are inclined to distrust.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/09/moyers-guest-we-should-just-let-the-bush-tax-cuts-expire/

12 replies, 1151 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Moyers guest: ‘We should just let the Bush tax cuts expire’ (Original post)
JRLeft Nov 2012 OP
high density Nov 2012 #1
Common Sense Party Nov 2012 #3
JRLeft Nov 2012 #4
Common Sense Party Nov 2012 #5
TTUBatfan2008 Nov 2012 #12
high density Nov 2012 #6
Comrade_McKenzie Nov 2012 #7
Chan790 Nov 2012 #8
jenw2 Nov 2012 #2
SimplyMarie Nov 2012 #9
Joey Liberal Nov 2012 #11
PsychProfessor Nov 2012 #10

Response to JRLeft (Original post)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 06:50 PM

1. I agree

If people are concerned as much about the deficit/debt as we're supposed to believe, we should just expire all of the Bush tax cuts to help address this issue.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to high density (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 06:58 PM

3. You want everyone's taxes to go up?

Reply to this post

Response to Common Sense Party (Reply #3)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 06:59 PM

4. The Cons want to extort us into cutting Social Security and Medicare.

Reply to this post

Response to JRLeft (Reply #4)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 07:05 PM

5. That wasn't the question. You're right, or course.

But letting the 2001 tax cuts expire means tax rates go up for everyone.

Reply to this post

Response to Common Sense Party (Reply #5)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 12:14 AM

12. If we're serious about the debt issue...

Then yes, everyone's taxes should go up. What was the point in cutting the rates in the first place?

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 08:55 AM

6. Why not? We lived just fine under these rates for Clinton's years.

Everybody acts like every little increase in taxes will crater the economy. Just as cutting taxes didn't make the economy explode in growth, I don't think raising taxes a little is going to make the economy fail.

Reply to this post

Response to high density (Reply #6)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 09:03 AM

8. I do.

A bad tax cut we cannot afford is a bad tax cut we cannot afford regardless of who benefits from it. So yes, I would like to see the Bush tax cuts expire completely and the revenues of that used to increase stimulative spending and pay down debt or reduce the deficit.

But let me be clear, I do not want the tax cut renewed for middle-class earners in addition to earners over $250K. I think we should maintain lower tax-rates on people in poverty or substantially below the median income.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 06:55 PM

2. The Bush tax cuts already expired

They're now the Obama tax cuts. Stupid media doesn't give Obama credit for doing something good.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 09:05 AM

9. I agree

Everyone forgets that these tax cuts were meant to be temporary..not permanent. Continuing to pass these cuts is irresponsible and only kicks the can down the road. Only by letting the cuts expire will Congress get serious on comprehensive tax reform.
If they decide to extend them again..then Obama needs to be strong in opposing the cut for the wealthy.

Reply to this post

Response to SimplyMarie (Reply #9)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 12:12 AM

11. The republicans would rather throw the country under the bus

Than let tax cuts for the rich expire. How sad. I'm also saddened at how the republicans are willing to happily throw the military under the bus, just so they can save the rich from losing their Bush era tax cuts.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 09:38 AM

10. Lawrence suggested this route.

Let the tax cuts expire THEN immediately introduce legislation cutting taxes on those earning less than whatever the middle class cut off is. The republicans would have to vote for it as they have pledged to reduce taxes whenever possible. That would seem to be a strategy to get the kind of path the Democrats want.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread