HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Let's talk about the next...

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 05:55 PM

Let's talk about the next Congress, and 2014.

The bad news: Typically the party out of power picks up seats in the midterms, and the Republicans have a few more things going for them besides, especially in the Senate. We will be defending more seats, and more vulnerable seats, than they will.

The good news: The expanded majority gives Harry a little more wiggle room to protect red-state Democrats by letting them vote against good legislation that would be unpopular back home.

If the economy comes around (fingers crossed) that will help, but I don't believe that it will be any easier to get anything done in 2015 than in 2013. We need some major accomplishments to start Obama's second term, or else the Republicans' 2014 may be our 2006, with Obama becoming a de facto lame duck, and the bad guys riding their wave all the way to momentum in 2016.

No doubt the teabaggers know all this too, and they will continue to try to sabotage the economy to try to make it happen. So, the Democrats in the House are going to have to work something out with some of the establishment Republicans (I'm not holding my breath!)

Are there any realistic deals or compromises that can be hashed out that can pass both houses and be approved by Obama, that will actually help get things moving again?

1 replies, 552 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Let's talk about the next Congress, and 2014. (Original post)
Rochester Nov 2012 OP
msongs Nov 2012 #1

Response to Rochester (Original post)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 05:57 PM

1. give people something WORTH VOTING for. that triumphs over all other issues nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread