HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Repub super PAC, Rove, an...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 04:32 PM

Repub super PAC, Rove, and the Battle of Midway

Last edited Fri Nov 9, 2012, 06:08 PM - Edit history (3)

Just back from lunch, listening to old timer Repubs chatting.

Will we look back 2012 election as the Battle of Midway?

You can say anything about Rove, but this one thing cannot be denied: Rove is a very intense and hard-working guy. He was not covering his ass and BS when saying that without him, the loss would have been even worse.

According to some, Rove really believes this. He put up the most intense fight the best he knew. But he was tactically, strategically wrong and lost. What he really meant when he said "voter suppressing", which draws ridicules from all quarters, is that the expression was used in the "effect" sense (consequence), not the "action" sense (intention).

Rove was too arrogant and confident in his belief that messages (TV ads) are sufficient to motivate people to take action. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Rove was beaten in his own game, because Obama's ads were equally effective and devastating to the point it turned off, hence effectively "suppressed", the conservative voters that he thought he could energize them to go out and vote for Romney. In other words, Obama's TV ads countermeasured, or "suppressed" the effectiveness of his ads, canceling each other.

Indeed, the Repub did throw everything into it. The battle was indeed intense, like Nimitz trying to draw the Japanese navy into a big battle to settle once for all. Either the US Pacific fleet would be destroyed, or the Japanese seemingly invincible Imperial fleet would be crippled.

It hurts Rove's pride tremendously to be out-mastered in a game he thought he was supreme. He swift-boated opponent but never expected to be counter attacked so devastatingly. Like Japanese commander (Nagumo) confidently sent out his strike task force to sink US carriers, never expected his carriers to be destroyed by the US task force. Rove was genuine in his belief in saying that without his PAC, the loss would have been worse.

The stake is high. The Republican and Rove threw in everything they got, sensing that there was no better opportunity than this election, an 8%-unemployment economy, and an increasing disenchantment for an ineffectual black president, not to mention the rising bigotry.

This lost is a real blow for them. It can be their Midway. But the Dem must keep the pedal to the metal, wipe them out in 2014 and the war will be over for awhile.

6 replies, 662 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Repub super PAC, Rove, and the Battle of Midway (Original post)
JackN415 Nov 2012 OP
Dubster Nov 2012 #1
Blue Owl Nov 2012 #2
Wellstone ruled Nov 2012 #3
Cirque du So-What Nov 2012 #4
JackN415 Nov 2012 #5
Cirque du So-What Nov 2012 #6

Response to JackN415 (Original post)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 04:37 PM

1. Spam deleted by gkhouston (MIR Team)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 04:44 PM

2. Super PAC or Poop Sack?

n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 04:54 PM

3. Let's see,

did anyone figure out how much money Willard and the Rove Brothers might have scammed from these so called Billionaires and the American public? Mark my words,Willard Romney for President (Inc)will fill for bankruptcy shortly. Most of the campaign adds Willard did went threw a Bain entity. Duh!! What

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 05:37 PM

4. I take exception to the 'swift boat' comment

which I associate with lying sacks of shit like Jerome Corsi. What did *WE* say about RawMoney that was untruthful?

Reply to this post

Response to Cirque du So-What (Reply #4)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 05:58 PM

5. A case of semantics, but your point well taken...

I used "swift-boat" to mean "extremely negative attach ad" (without considering the aspect of being truthful or not), and your connotation of the expression is more specific (and interesting) with the aspect of truthfulness.

So, I edited it to "counter attack"

Reply to this post

Response to JackN415 (Reply #5)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 06:03 PM

6. I didn't mean to suggest that you alter your OP

but 'swift boat' is a term that I definitely prefer seeing used in reference to the smarmy tactics of the original gang of lying bastids and the repugs who followed in their shoes.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread