HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Beohner said the Presiden...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 11:56 AM

Beohner said the President needs to lead.

Yet whenever he leads, Boehner and the rethug House blocks his every attempt to lead. I say we should just let the Bush rates expire at year's end.

Then if we the rethugs want to negotiate over defense cuts and social spending, we have the high ground when the battle starts.

Boehner keeps using the word 'entitlements' when referring to social security and medicare. The "entitled" group are the wealthy and the corporations like oil companies who have always demanded the lion's share. Especially the defense industry whose entitlements are always untouched and at the top of every budget.

10 replies, 768 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Beohner said the President needs to lead. (Original post)
Jack Sprat Nov 2012 OP
JustAnotherGen Nov 2012 #1
Skittles Nov 2012 #2
bkkyosemite Nov 2012 #3
PoliticAverse Nov 2012 #6
Dawgs Nov 2012 #4
C_U_L8R Nov 2012 #5
SoapBox Nov 2012 #7
1StrongBlackMan Nov 2012 #8
UCmeNdc Nov 2012 #9
Jamaal510 Nov 2012 #10

Response to Jack Sprat (Original post)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 11:58 AM

1. I'm a big fan

Of letting this little blip happen. This fiscal 'cliff' is not the big fat huge deal they are making it out to be.

And it would send a strong message to the House that they better get their shit together - because the folks who voted for Obama and the Senate - we've given them a mandate.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 11:58 AM

2. he has been leading, boner

you're part of the racist party that just cannot get over that

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 11:59 AM

3. The President needs to let the damn thing Expire!!!

This blackmail by these creeps needs to stop. This election of the people by the people was a mandate to stop allowing these a*ses to blackmail Obama.

Reply to this post

Response to bkkyosemite (Reply #3)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 12:04 PM

6. In other words the President needs to do nothing, something that he was unable to do last time

when he extended the tax cuts.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 12:00 PM

4. I agree with Boner. n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 12:01 PM

5. Hey Boner

go get your shine box

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 12:06 PM

7. Fuck off, Boner.

You make me sick. You are a perfect example of what is WRONG with America today.

You are vile.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 12:11 PM

8. Not surprisingly, I disagree with boehner, and most DUers ...

on the who needs to show leadership question.

The way our form of government is structured, the President can ask Congress to do something; can cajol Congress into doing something; even, threaten Congress into doing something; but at the end of the day, it is Congress that must do the doing.

It's a lot like, and I have used this analogy before, a person coming to me to borrow my friend's car. I can talk to my friend for them, I can reason with, plead with, or even shout threats at my friend; but at the end of the day, it's my friend's decision. And it would be silly, for the attempting borrower to get angry with me, should my friend refuse to loan the car (and Yes, I'm talking to DUers)!

To wit:

The Democratic Congress must show the leadership needed by,

1) the Democrats in the House and Senate (re)introducing President Obama's Jobs Plan ... each as a separate Bill ... on the Whitehouse steps ... at High noon ... on succesive days ... after calling every news outlet, including fox, promising a major policy announcement.

2) the Democrats in the House and Senate introducing legislation that allows the tax cuts for those making $1,000,000+ to expire and preserving the tax cuts for all those making less than $1,000,000, effective January 1, 2013. (This should be easy because there is no arguing that those making $1,000,000+ are .. you know ... millionaires).

3) the Democrats in the House and Senate introducing legislation re-establishing the capital gains and estate tax rates at Clinton era rates.

The time is ripe!

To extend a sports metaphor, when you get a take-away, you press momentum by throwing deep on your first play after the change of possesion.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 12:14 PM

9. Yes and Beohner and his Republican gang need to follow

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 12:43 PM

10. "The President needs to lead" is GOP lingo for "Obama should cave in".

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread