HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » This is what pisses me of...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 10:35 AM

This is what pisses me off about our Democratic Party.

I heard driving to work this morning on Morning Joe (satelite radio) that Sen. Chuck Schumer has said that he'd be willing to settle for a top income tax rate of 36% rather than returning to the Clinton era 39%. He was supposed to be a guest on Morning Joe later but I was at work by then and I didn't hear it if he was. Did anybody watch it and was this discussed? I tried googling it, and found some links to "Chuck and 36%" within the past few months but they didn't say he was advocating for a 36% rate, quite the contrary. I'm wondering has he changed his mind since his previous statements?

The right-wingnuts all stick together no matter what outrageous thing their party wants to do. The Dems try to triangulate their own party and make secret deals which hurt the party as a whole. Before the President and Harry Reid has had a chance to even discuss the matter with the opposition party, you've got Chuck out there making comments that he is willing to settle for less than a return to the Clinton era taxrates. I know Chuckie-boy takes a lot of campaign funding from the bankers and Wall St. fat cats and is probably in their pockets, but if Schumer is trying to sell out Obama before talks even begin, I'm pissed and he's deserving to be primaried when he comes up for re-election.

All the Bush tax cuts are set to expire at the end of the year and the Dems are in an excellant position to get a favorable deal, since the Bush tax cut will expire whether they do nothing or not. I hope this includes the capital gains rates as well that allows Romney to pay an effective rate of 14% on $20 million of income.

13 replies, 1220 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to politicaljunkie41910 (Original post)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 10:37 AM

1. I have spent my entire life looking for a Dem with a spine.

Think about it.

After the week we have had, compare the statements of Schumer and Mitch McConnell.

That's all you need to know about the difference between the 2 parties.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 10:41 AM

2. If Schumer is capitulating before the negotiations begin he should be censored by OUR Party.

Reply to this post

Response to Scuba (Reply #2)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 12:02 PM

12. +10000

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 10:41 AM

3. All pols have their price. It's part of their negotiation process. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 11:02 AM

4. Schumer appeared on Morning Joe and denied he was willing

to compromise on the 39.6 increase.

Reply to this post

Response to DonViejo (Reply #4)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 11:04 AM

5. Thanks for reporting that. Was he convincing? Did they say where this info came from?

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 11:06 AM

6. It'll be Clinton era rates. They'll bitch and moan about it but it's gonna happen.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 11:17 AM

7. So... Did Schumer actually say it and they have a voice clip?

Or is someone just putting that out to basically make that a starting point without a Democrat actually saying it?

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 11:28 AM

8. Couldn't even wait 72 hours to start in with some bitching

about Dems, could you?

Enjoy your stay. Thank you for your concern.

Reply to this post

Response to kestrel91316 (Reply #8)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 11:40 AM

9. I could have, but would you rather know now or a month from now that members of your party are

making statements that undermine one another. I prefer to know now.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 11:47 AM

10. I think this time around

we need to stay on top of this and contact our reps to make sure they do what we have voted for.

I think if we can keep up the pressure they'll know we do change and that we have their back. It might get worse before it gets better but under the Repubs it will only get worse.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 12:00 PM

11. Look the President is Pragmatic

by Nature. There are some leverages he has. But the first thing I would suggest is that he get Democratic Members together and SET the TONE of HIS Administration!!!!!!!!!They ALL need to be on the SAME PAGE. And they need to stand a united front for the Presidency, the Party, and the American People. It starts with Democrats being the REAL Grown ups in the room. It is about doing the People's work for a BETTER Country. There are consequences for destructive Actions. The Democratic Party should not Pick a Fight, But should signal, that they are prepared for a FIGHT. And that the Country has their back. The business community had already gave the signal before the Election, by getting together and saying no matter the outcome of the election they were willing to raise revenue with sensible spending cuts. Which also signaled the winner of the election. Romney's numbers didn't add up and his plan was BAD for the Economy. Remember businessmen and business women can add and subtract also. And as much as some thought they disliked President Obama, they like a more prosperous economy built on sound judgment you can see. Not plans that only exist in the back of the minds of Republican surrogates and an un-truthful candidate.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 12:12 PM

13. I don't believe that

Unless you can provide a direct quote, I am not going to buy it. Maybe you just misheard what he was saying.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread