HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Midterm Elections: How ca...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 06:56 PM

Midterm Elections: How can we increase Democratic voting?

I'm sure this has probably been brought up but this is a big concern of mine. Too many people don't seem to realize that the way politics works is way more than the Presidency. I know that historically there aren't as many people who vote in the mid term elections, but in order to really show the changing demographic and ideology of the country, we have to get out and vote in 2014. I'm just not sure how we do it. The simpletons at Faux News said that 2010 was proof that conservatism was not dead. Umm, NO!! The problem was that Barack Obama was not on the ticket. Since Plouffe and Axelrod and Messina were geniuses in their ground game strategy in 2008 and 2012, there needs to be that same kind of emphasis and strategy to engage Democrats for mid term elections. Trust and believe there is going to be another backlash in 2014 with Republicans that are going to get out and vote and I don't want them to expand the House further and gain in the Senate!!!

44 replies, 4580 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 44 replies Author Time Post
Reply Midterm Elections: How can we increase Democratic voting? (Original post)
Mdterp01 Nov 2012 OP
JustFiveMoreMinutes Nov 2012 #1
BlueCaliDem Nov 2012 #7
JustFiveMoreMinutes Nov 2012 #11
JustFiveMoreMinutes Nov 2012 #15
BlueCaliDem Nov 2012 #18
jmowreader Nov 2012 #32
Cosmocat Nov 2012 #34
bemildred Nov 2012 #2
BlueCaliDem Nov 2012 #8
wryter2000 Nov 2012 #3
JustFiveMoreMinutes Nov 2012 #5
BlueCaliDem Nov 2012 #9
JustFiveMoreMinutes Nov 2012 #14
BlueCaliDem Nov 2012 #17
jecarter4 Nov 2012 #21
BlueCaliDem Nov 2012 #22
Duppers Nov 2012 #23
Obamamama44 Nov 2012 #4
Kalidurga Nov 2012 #6
treestar Nov 2012 #10
savebigbird Nov 2012 #29
JustFiveMoreMinutes Nov 2012 #12
Mdterp01 Nov 2012 #13
sbmvv Nov 2012 #16
Chan790 Nov 2012 #36
outsideworld Nov 2012 #19
JRLeft Nov 2012 #20
Zorra Nov 2012 #24
undeterred Nov 2012 #25
LukeFL Nov 2012 #26
Cosmocat Nov 2012 #35
oswaldactedalone Nov 2012 #41
craigmatic Nov 2012 #27
tabbycat31 Nov 2012 #28
ancianita Nov 2012 #30
Grown2Hate Nov 2012 #31
jmowreader Nov 2012 #33
mkell33 Nov 2012 #37
Warren DeMontague Nov 2012 #38
boingboinh Nov 2012 #39
LeftInTX Nov 2012 #40
oswaldactedalone Nov 2012 #42
LeftInTX Nov 2012 #43
LiberalFighter Nov 2012 #44

Response to Mdterp01 (Original post)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 06:58 PM

1. Good sound economic policies that increase jobs and diminish debt....no wars?

Just wondering outloud.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to JustFiveMoreMinutes (Reply #1)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 07:08 PM

7. Not good enough to motivate.

Remember 2000? Peace and prosperity, 23 million jobs created, a president who left office with incredibly HIGH approval ratings despite being impeached . . . and it was CLOSE' close enough to steal.

It appears that people get lazy when things are going well in the country. It only took ONE Duhbya term to destroy all that President Clinton and the Democrats worked so hard for.

Midterm elections should get the same attention by the Obama Camp as their presidential election. You'd be surprised how many Democrats didn't even know we had a 2010 midterm election and that helped the TeaBaggers push Republicans into office all across the country, into the House where obstructionism immediately began to rear its ugly head, and voter suppression and racists laws were being passed faster than they could bring it to the floors of state legislatures.

We must remain vigilant and have something to fire up those relatively lazy voters - and we need to do so quick because the 2014 midterms are just around the corner.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueCaliDem (Reply #7)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 07:14 PM

11. Not knowing there's a midterm....

... that is just plain scary.

Unfortunately, in 2000 folks didn't know about the Project for the New American Centry and Karl Rove. Hopefully 2010 and 2012 have opened a few eyes and ears.

Altho just today I read a FB friends FB friend page and she is 66 and just looked up SuperPAC on November 3rd... all the time crying 'its the end of America'.

So how do you EDUCATE people that don't want to be educated and simply vote pretty narrowly on religion/Affirmative Action/Gay Rights and will give their children up for those few things?

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 07:17 PM

15. And wasn't that the year that Gay Rights were put on many state initiatives

... that brought out the evangelical voters en masse?

Reply to this post

Response to JustFiveMoreMinutes (Reply #15)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 07:36 PM

18. The Evilgelicals came out en masse this election, too, but it didn't help

them at all. Well, I stand corrected . . . it might have helped them in North Carolina, but no other place. They simply don't have the numbers AND they vote religiously against Democrats but they still couldn't tip the elections for their misleaders this time.

I don't recall if it was the year that Gay Rights had been put on the ballots, though. Can't remember.

Reply to this post

Response to JustFiveMoreMinutes (Reply #15)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 04:29 AM

32. Well...gay marriage, 2010's red meat issue

I said this before the election: Republicans have found a new, completely legal way to rig elections. Rather than trying to manipulate the machines, they just put an issue on the ballot that brings RWers out in droves. In 2010 it was gay marriage.(This issue might not be used again: Washington passed gay marriage legislatively. The religious right got them to put it on the ballot for the voters to decide...and it passed. It was not a good night for Washington Republicans. WA got a Democratic governor, an anti death penalty AG, a Democratic Senator, gay marriage and legal weed.)

I thought it would be bad for us in 11/2010 because of all the gay marriage bans, and it was. Strange thing is, all of them are unconstitutional because they violate the Full Faith and Credit Clause.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 07:51 AM

34. absolutely

I remember the 90s and the 99 elections well.

There absolutely was an apathy because things were going well.

And, republicans were nearly the same arsehats then that they are now, and the country was just fed up hearing them scream about their nonsense. Bush, to those who were not really paying attention seemed dumber than post, but harmless, and as much to shut up Republicans as anything, people voted for the "guy you would like to have a beer with!"

I do wonder, if 9-11 had happened with Gore as President, and it very well could have even if he did not blow off the threat like Bush did, it might have been the end on of the democratic party. Yes, the used it to their inverse advantage at the time, but if that had happened with a democratic president, it would FOREVER have given them justification to say you can't trust democrats.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 07:02 PM

2. Nominate candidates that aggressively support The President?

Then run on that.
Just a guess.

Reply to this post

Response to bemildred (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 07:09 PM

8. This would definitely help!

And have the president cut ads for them.

Lately, the Democratic Party has found really good and strong candidates to pit against Republicans. They need to keep this trend.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 07:02 PM

3. Ask Rs a bunch of questions about abortion and rape

While recording their answers, of course.

Reply to this post

Response to wryter2000 (Reply #3)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 07:04 PM

5. ... and sneak in and record private fundraisers!!! <n/t>

Reply to this post

Response to JustFiveMoreMinutes (Reply #5)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 07:09 PM

9. I would still like to know who thought

about doing that. That was ingenious!

Reply to this post

Response to BlueCaliDem (Reply #9)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 07:16 PM

14. Thought it was James Carter IV <n/t>

Reply to this post

Response to JustFiveMoreMinutes (Reply #14)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 07:27 PM

17. That's what I've read in some places, too, but

then I hear no one really knows.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueCaliDem (Reply #17)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 09:56 PM

21. I didn't make the video

I just found the person who did, and arranged for it to be released.

Reply to this post

Response to jecarter4 (Reply #21)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 11:31 PM

22. Then, if you truly are President Carter's grandson and brought this video

forward . . . THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Reply to this post

Response to jecarter4 (Reply #21)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 07:56 PM

23. Please visit DU again when you can

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 07:04 PM

4. I'm not a big worrier but I think we need to plan a strategy.

I've been thinking about this too. People need to vote in mid terms...otherwise our policies do not get implemented, then the crazies can say he's a failure...I will never skip an election ever!!!! I will also never vote for a republican...

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 07:07 PM

6. Yep now is the time to start preparing for the ground game in 2014

I think in Minnesota we should put legalizing pot on the ballot. Word it so no means yes, like Republicans do.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 07:10 PM

10. Too many think in terms of "the President runs the country"

as if Congress is just window dressing. People need to know who their representatives are even, let alone that they have to vote to get good ones into office and hold off Republicans. It's amazing people are so dumb about civics.

Reply to this post

Response to treestar (Reply #10)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 10:26 PM

29. I suspect Americans are learning their lesson...

...while witnessing the most recent budget crises and gridlock in our legislature over the past few years.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 07:15 PM

12. Another idea: LEGALIZE POT in all the states

.. will bring out the young voters. <smile>

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 07:16 PM

13. Sorry I meant 2014 midterms, not 2012 obvi!! Fixed in original post

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 07:22 PM

16. Start Now

Start now by raising funds and selecting candidates early. Also start preparing virtual ground offices (it might be too expensive to open offices now). Know the electorate - have a small cadre of ground staff that do nothing but keep in touch with the people of the constituency.

I think the lesson from 2010 is that like the enemy, Democrats have to treat elections as a process of preparation years in advance. The enemy has put resources into defeating us. We need to reciprocate by learning from them and adapting our ground game to compensate.

Reply to this post

Response to sbmvv (Reply #16)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 09:23 AM

36. This along with voter-motivation.

I was having a conversation last night with someone on our side of the aisle, one of my best friends, who is a low-information voter. She doesn't understand politics, but she knows the GOP is the party that wants to control her crotch for her. She's an unreliable off-year voter.

I was explaining things like "why the GOP is on the verge of structural loss in Presidential elections due to changing national demographics" and "why Mitt Romney was never really in this race" and how these conditions had been coming for a long time...enough so that there was a real chance that 2012 or 2016 might be the last time the GOP would be viable in a Presidential race for a long time if they don't shift to become more broadly-appealing. She asked how they manage to control Congress then...I explained that they tend to be motivated more in the off-year elections and they game the system by concentrating on local and down-ticket state races.

Message received...guess who's contacting the state Democratic party today to get involved in organizing/volunteering for 2014 and local races? This is how we win. One by one. Political consciousness is viral. She may not have a strong understanding of politics, but she understands her one issue...and now she sees that she needs to get other voters like her out in non-presidential elections or else the GOP will continue to be a threat on her one issue.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 07:42 PM

19. been thinking about it

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 07:49 PM

20. I posted about this yesterday.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:04 PM

24. Muzzle the Blue Dogs and send them to Siberia until after the election is over. nt

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:16 PM

25. I don't think that's easily done.

The turnout in a presidential year is always substantially higher than during a midterm election. When it gets right down to it, I think the real reason is that a lot of people are not that well informed. If you only pay attention to the really big picture then you only vote for president.

I think having a good ground game is the only way to change this but its a lot of work. The people who lean democrat but don't bother to keep up on politics will be more likely to vote if somebody knocks on their door or mails them literature and keeps them informed of who is running. Thats the only way.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:21 PM

26. We need tge Democratic to have

Access to Obama s database and OFA organizing efforts. We all need to continue getting in touch with the issues through FB and every other social media.

It's the only way ee are going to win.

Reply to this post

Response to LukeFL (Reply #26)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 07:52 AM

35. VITAL, just VITAL

that OFA is maintained.

Reply to this post

Response to LukeFL (Reply #26)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 05:58 PM

41. ^^ I'm for this ^^

and also agree with keeping OFA up and running, spending whatever is needed to keep it going. The next four election cycles with the one ending in '20 are crucial in winning back state legislatures and goverships so the districts can be redrawn following the '20 census. The good news for us is the next census occurs in a Presidential election year.

But there's no doubt we have to begin now focusing on turnout in '14, and for that matter the few governor races scheduled for '13.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:33 PM

27. Obama has to get more passionate and have better talking points on the stump.

Last time he had that lame line about the car in the ditch. Obama and Clinton both kinda have the same problem which is that they sell themselves really well but aren't good at selling other people. I think Obama, Clinton, and Michelle have to all go out and stump for candidates. I also think that we need to find better candidates for office like we had in 2006.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:58 PM

28. Get back to me on this one

I just came off my first stint as a congressional field director. I could write a book about this.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 10:26 PM

30. Perhaps the party needs to cultivate some red dogs to get them on the winning side in House votes.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 10:54 PM

31. President Obama (on the stump). President Obama's team on the ground. We seriously need the

Obama Machine in full swing for 2014. His motivation will be that this will end up being his LAST CHANCE to REALLY push an agenda in his final 2 years in office (assuming that he won't get TOO much done between now and 2014 due to Republican obstructionism, although I'm hopeful).

A quick glance tells me that the following races are EXTRAORDINARILY winnable (no Republican won their district by more than 4 points, some by LESS than 1 point):

Colorado 06
Florida 10
Illinois 13
Kentucky 06
Michigan 01
Minnesota 06
New York 27
Ohio 16
Pennsylvania 12

That's nine. We need to flip at least 7 more for the majority (assuming that we win the 5 outstanding House seats, and I think we lead in each).

So... President Obama + his INCREDIBLE Ground Machine + US (working our asses off) = a Democratic House in 2014. It's doable, and would be MORE than worth it. I'd love to do my part to make President Obama's last two years REEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAALLY count.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 04:51 AM

33. Two more years of Republican obstructionism should do it

By the time the 2014 elections roll around the deficit will be lower because deficits are cyclical, Afghanistan should be over and the GOP will still stonewall everything.

Hollywood has a House Chamber set, right? A good and humorous commercial would be to hire enough actors, of the same age and gender mix as the House Republican Caucus, to fill the GOP side of the set. Dress them and groom them like Congressmen. Then have them stand at their desks with their right hands balled into fists and held so it looks like their thumbs are up their asses. At the end, say something like "If you're tired of this country not getting ahead because Republicans only do this, vote Democratic this year." The prospect of Boehner, Cantor et al going on TV to deny they do nothing but stand around with their thumbs up their asses would be comedy gold.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 05:08 PM

37. fundamentally the most important election related Q

We should be able to do this regardless of the gerrymandering of the districts. But that requires that we view any vote for a republican as support of the out of touch agenda they put out there. Good national planning, ground game, and, oh yea, $$ and we can win the house. Oh and BTW, that should not mean a monolithic house where all members have identical view -- just not a house where republicans are positive that government dosen't work and then get elected to prove it. Jim Messina should be rested in about week and dieing for another slaughter. He needs a challenge, don't you think???? Keep up the Grover threats - maybe that will motivate folks for the long game.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 05:29 PM

38. Excellent question.

And welcome to DU!

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 05:32 PM

39. Have Officials that Actually Do what they Campaign on...that'll be revolutionary

I have never seen it in my life time.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 05:35 PM

40. How did we take back the House in 2006?

My swing district went from Red to Blue in 2006

It went back to Red in 2010 and back to Blue in 2012

(Edited with election results)

Reply to this post

Response to LeftInTX (Reply #40)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 06:00 PM

42. Dems were mad as hell

at the Bush/Cheney criminal enterprise and crushed them. However in '10, Dems were fat and sassy with Obama and a Dem congress and pissed the election to the cretins who won it.

Reply to this post

Response to oswaldactedalone (Reply #42)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 06:07 PM

43. We actually won the House popular vote in 2012

Seats Won
R 234 D 199
Popular Vote
R 53,822,442 D 54,301,095

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 06:15 PM

44. Running good candidates with top notch campaigns.

That know what the hell they are doing when running for office.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread