HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Obama, the perfect exampl...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 09:13 AM

Obama, the perfect example of "the american dream"

The reason I like President Obama so much is because he is the perfect example of "the american dream".

Born black, raised by a single mum in a low middle-class lifestyle, studied and worked his way into a good university, did community work to help people in his neighborhood, then ran for and made it to the Senate, announced his run for the presidency and everyone laughed and gave him no chance, won the primaries against powerful names AND then elected as president in a landslide AND finally re-elected to a second term.

It literally sounds exactly like the story you would find in a hollywood blockbuster, EVEN down to the oratorical ability to inspire people by giving inspiring speeches.

Seriously, can anyone name a president (except Obama) that did not come from a well off, powerful family?

As much as I love past presidents like Clinton and Kennedy, they both came from families that were powerful names and well off.

The thing is as much as I believe past presidents were well meaning in their presidencies, they truly could not understand the struggles of poor and middle-class families because these past presidents never experienced those lifestyles.

Obama has and I believe wants to help them.

A kep GOP talking point has been that under Obama food stamp rolls have boomed to 47 million people BUT this should not be seen as a negative thing, it should be seen as a good positive thing.

Because the economy tanked and because of decades of income inequality, Obama used food stamp program to feed the poor and ALSO to help low middle-class families who are barely living off their wages.

Obama wants everyone in the U.S to have healthcare, he wants everyone to be able to have food on their tables, he wants the rules to benefit everyone (not just the wealthy), etc.

6 replies, 4273 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Obama, the perfect example of "the american dream" (Original post)
politicman Nov 2012 OP
CJCRANE Nov 2012 #1
Blue Owl Nov 2012 #2
MuttLikeMe Nov 2012 #3
procon Nov 2012 #4
Fresh_Start Nov 2012 #5
maxsolomon Nov 2012 #6

Response to politicman (Original post)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 09:15 AM

1. Good post

although IIRC Bill Clinton also came from a humble backgound.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 09:22 AM

2. While Romney is the perfect example of the American Nightmare

of unregulated vulture capitalism, corporate personhood, church in state, etc. etc. etc...

Reply to this post

Response to Blue Owl (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 09:27 AM

3. +1

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 09:53 AM

4. Not so...

Bill Clinton's family was not powerful or well off. His mon was a nurse, and as I recall, his father was just a salesman.

Otherwise, I agree, Obama, like Clinton, typifies the quintessential character we think of in the American Dream.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 10:35 AM

5. Clinton is also an American story

not only Obama

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 12:48 PM

6. Clinton is as self-made as Obama.

Do you really not know his background story? He was also raised by a stepfather.

I also quibble with "born black". Obama's mother is white, he is "mixed-race". He was not merely raised by her. He was raised by an Indonesian stepfather & Caucasian grandparents.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread