HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Hey DU Family What Do You...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:26 PM

Hey DU Family What Do You Think About This? The Bad News About White People: Romney Won the White

Last edited Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:18 PM - Edit history (1)

The Bad News About White People: Romney Won the White Vote Almost Everywhere

Jon Wiener on November 7, 2012 - 12:41 PM ET

If only white people had voted on Tuesday, Mitt Romney would have carried every state except for Massachusetts, Iowa, Connecticut and New Hampshire, according to the news media’s exit polls. Nationally, Romney won 59 percent of the white vote, a towering twenty-point margin over Obama. (Exit polls were cancelled in nineteen states by the consortium of news media that run them.)

The pattern is not limited to the South, with its history of racism and segregation. Even in the deepest blue states, white voters went for Romney: 53 percent in California, 52 percent in New York, 55 percent in Pennsylvania. Liberals hoped that whites who opposed Obama in 2008 would learn toleration and acceptance of racial difference after four years with a black president in the White House. But what happened was the opposite: Romney won 4 percent more of the white vote in 2012 than John McCain won in 2008.

In New York and Wisconsin, Romney won 6 percent more of the white vote than McCain in 2008; in California and Florida, he won 7 percent more; in New Jersey he won 8 percent more. Even in Massachusetts, where Obama’s margin of victory was 61 percent, Romney increased the Republicans’ proportion of the white vote by four percentage points over 2008.

For complete article go to: http://www.thenation.com/blog/171093/bad-news-about-white-people-romney-won-white-vote-almost-everywhere#

52 replies, 3213 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 52 replies Author Time Post
Reply Hey DU Family What Do You Think About This? The Bad News About White People: Romney Won the White (Original post)
HoosierRadical Nov 2012 OP
Tigress DEM Nov 2012 #1
HoosierRadical Nov 2012 #20
Tigress DEM Nov 2012 #47
Tigress DEM Nov 2012 #48
MADem Nov 2012 #2
HoosierRadical Nov 2012 #21
MADem Nov 2012 #39
muriel_volestrangler Nov 2012 #43
MADem Nov 2012 #44
muriel_volestrangler Nov 2012 #45
MADem Nov 2012 #49
bluedigger Nov 2012 #36
bornskeptic Nov 2012 #37
limpyhobbler Nov 2012 #3
eridani Nov 2012 #26
progressivebydesign Nov 2012 #4
RosedaleGuy Nov 2012 #5
Coyotl Nov 2012 #6
HoosierRadical Nov 2012 #22
totodeinhere Nov 2012 #29
Enrique Nov 2012 #38
GallopingGhost Nov 2012 #7
damnedifIknow Nov 2012 #8
HoosierRadical Nov 2012 #23
VWolf Nov 2012 #9
magical thyme Nov 2012 #10
kestrel91316 Nov 2012 #11
Jersey Devil Nov 2012 #12
Enrique Nov 2012 #13
bamacrat Nov 2012 #14
Ken Burch Nov 2012 #15
HoosierRadical Nov 2012 #24
union_maid Nov 2012 #16
Harry_Scrote Nov 2012 #17
union_maid Nov 2012 #18
HopeHoops Nov 2012 #19
treestar Nov 2012 #25
gkhouston Nov 2012 #27
rufus dog Nov 2012 #28
Zoeisright Nov 2012 #30
Cha Nov 2012 #33
totodeinhere Nov 2012 #41
cali Nov 2012 #31
Cha Nov 2012 #32
barbiegeek Nov 2012 #34
calico1 Nov 2012 #35
Sunlei Nov 2012 #40
Adenoid_Hynkel Nov 2012 #42
IfPalinisAnswerWatsQ Nov 2012 #46
bemildred Nov 2012 #50
amborin Nov 2012 #51
mstinamotorcity2 Nov 2012 #52

Response to HoosierRadical (Original post)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:31 PM

1. Well, I'm technically white and sure as Hell didn't vote for him.

But I am a woman.

My husband is white and he didn't vote for Mitt.

My Father-In-Law didn't vote for Mitt

My Son and Son's Father-In-Law, a former Marine (if there is such a thing as a former Marine) didn't vote for Mitt and that guy is distantly related to General Lee, but he's also a Union Guy and no dummy.

Minnesota voted for OBAMA and we got LOTS of white people. Course Bachmann did get re-elected, so some of us are a BIT touched in the head.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Tigress DEM (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:12 PM

20. I'm thinking White people who vote Democratic are an minority within the White population...

I guess you guys are part for the 40%.

Reply to this post

Response to HoosierRadical (Reply #20)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 01:55 AM

47. 99,279,344 whites didn't vote for Romney, plus 34,252,066 who voted for Obama

Sooooo, we have 133,531,410 whites who DIDN'T buy the right wing, racist crap enough to vote for Romney.

Don't know WHY they weren't convinced by Obama, but you can't count them FOR Romney if they didn't VOTE FOR HIM.

I THINK until we know differently, think of those 99,279,344 as potential allies who stayed home rather than vote for a bigot even if they don't approve of Obama's record, couldn't vote for other reasons or couldn't decide.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/scocca/2012/11/mitt_romney_white_voters_the_gop_candidate_s_race_based_monochromatic_campaign.html

Romney won 48.1 percent of the overall vote. White people who voted for Romney made up 42.5 percent of the overall vote. That works out to 88 percent of Romney voters being white.

Using the same method, we find that 2 percent of Romney's voters were black, 6 percent were Latino, 2 percent were Asian, and 2 percent had some other ethnic classification.

Obama's support was 56 percent white, 24 percent black, 14 percent Latino, 4 percent Asian, and 2 percent other.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/07/who-won-the-popular-vote-2012_n_2087038.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular
Popular Vote Total

Obama 50.5% 61,164,405 ---- 56% = 34,252,066
Romney 48.0% 58,159,408 ---- 88% = 51,180,279

Percent of population that is "white" in US (2011 estimate)
-Obama & Romney White Votes leaves
-under 18 approx 24% ( 58,330,006 )

Reply to this post

Response to Tigress DEM (Reply #47)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 02:10 AM

48. OR... well OVER half the white population DID NOT vote for racist policies.

99,279,344 didn't vote AT ALL, but they didn't put a stamp of approval on Romney either.

ADD that to the whites that DID choose Obama over racism

AND you have 133,531,410 whites who DIDN'T buy the right wing, racist crap enough to vote for Romney.

1/2 the white population is about 121,520,848

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:33 PM

2. I live in one of those states where the white people aren't so bad!

But what about Maine? Isn't that state pretty white? And didn't it go blue?

I question the accuracy of this report...hard to know, though, since I haven't read the whole thing (and can't without directions).

You need a link (and fewer paragraphs--four max per DU copyright guidance).

Reply to this post

Response to MADem (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:14 PM

21. Oh sorry didn't read the rules regarding posting...

Will fix it asap.

Reply to this post

Response to HoosierRadical (Reply #21)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 10:21 AM

39. +1 nt

Reply to this post

Response to MADem (Reply #39)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 04:30 PM

43. The exit polls were only in the 'interesting' states

The ones listed at the link are:
N.Y. Mass. Calif. N.J. Conn. N.H. Wis. Iowa Nev. Pa. Va. Ohio Fla. Colo. N.C. Ariz. Mo. Ind.

Swing states, plus some big ones (not all the big ones, though - Texas isn't there, surprisingly - I'd be interested in the ethnic breakup of the vote there).

Reply to this post

Response to muriel_volestrangler (Reply #43)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 05:27 PM

44. Well, look at Maine and NH--it's mostly white people up there.

Believe me, I've been through there--you stick out if you're not white.

Same with VT. Even when you factor in the more colorful states of MA/CT/RI, New England is a Very White Place.

In terms of race and ethnicity, White Americans made up 84.9% of New England's population, of which 81.2% were whites of non-Hispanic origin. Black Americans comprised 5.7% of the region's population, of which 5.3% were blacks of non-Hispanic origin. Native Americans made up 0.3% of the population, numbering 37,234. There were just over 500,000 Asian Americans residing in New England at the time of the survey, making up 3.5% of the region's population. There were 158,282 Chinese Americans, constituting 1.1% of the region's total population, and 119,140 Indian Americans (0.8%). Japanese Americans numbered 14,501 (0.1%).
Pacific Islander Americans numbered 4,194, 0.03% of the populace. There were 138 Samoan Americans residing in the region. Multiracial Americans made up 1.8% of New England's population. The largest mixed-race group comprised those of African and European descent; there were 84,143 people of black and white ancestry, making up 0.6% of the population. People of Native American and European American ancestry made up 0.4% of the population, and people of Asian and European heritage 0.3%
.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England

They still voted for Obama. So not all white people were voting for the Evil Version of Father Knows Best!

Reply to this post

Response to MADem (Reply #44)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 06:26 PM

45. Yeah, The Nation writer is wrong about 'the only states'

He listed the only states on the NYT page. In fact, we do have the figures for some more - the ones that were dropped from the exit polls were Alaska, Arkansas, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, West Virginia and Wyoming.

So we can find others on CNN:
Maine 57% Obama, 40% Romney.
Vermont: 66% Obama, 33% Romney.
Oregon: 54% Obama, 44% Romney.
Washington (state): 53% Obama, 46% Romney.
eg http://edition.cnn.com/election/2012/results/state/WA/president

But we also find:
New Mexico: 41% Obama, 56% Romney.
Michigan: 44% Obama, 55% Romney (jeez, what happened to the auto bailout? )

Rhode Island voted 63-35 for Obama, and is 81.4% white, so it's almost certain more whites voted for Obama than Romney.
Delaware voted 59-40 for Obama, and is 71.7% white. Without knowing the turnout among ethnicities, it's hard to guess how they voted.

I think the only other state that voted for Obama that we don't have an exit poll for, and for which the white vote can't be assumed, is Hawaii, because they're only 25% of the population there.

Reply to this post

Response to muriel_volestrangler (Reply #45)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 11:33 AM

49. +1,000...I get the point the guy was sort of trying to make, but he put his

racism way out in front of his facts. That kind of 'fuzzy math' isn't helpful, I don't think, though the point that a lot of furious white guys were in MoneyBooBoo's corner is certainly valid. He could have made the point in another way, I think.

Reply to this post

Response to MADem (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 08:52 AM

36. Agree about Maine.

There aren't enough non white votes in the entire State to swing the vote.

Reply to this post

Response to bluedigger (Reply #36)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 09:32 AM

37. Likewise for Vermont.

In both states the census gives the non-Hispanic white population as 94% and President Obama got over 60% of the total vote, so it's mathematically impossible that he did not get a solid majority of the white vote.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:37 PM

3. The problem is policies that suck.

Obama should have proposed a minimum wage increase like he promised.

This would appeal to white people who work in low-wage jobs, and their friends and families.

Democrats need a shot of economic populism.

If you want people to vote for you, you have to give them more of a reason.

Reply to this post

Response to limpyhobbler (Reply #3)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:44 PM

26. + several million

According to the last censius, about half of all American families are either low income or outright poor. The majority are white, and they're not seeing a lot of personal benefit from white privilege that actuallly does them any good.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:39 PM

4. this is ridiculous.

the fact is that the republican party is 98% white. That's who they are. The better question is how to get the ignorant people that vote for guys like Romney, to vote Democratic. Has nothing to do with color.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:42 PM

5. Problems is GOP has used fear to win the white vote

They've convinced many that blacks and latinos are almost all moochers and they are going to be the majority. It's a strategy that has been very successful for them in the past. The changing demographics mean it won't work in the future. They have completely alienated blacks, latinos, gays, muslims and even asians.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:43 PM

6. There is an assumption underlying this. It is racist.

Maybe that demographic supports Romney for economic reasons! Their own money interests.

You are fanning as very dangerous fire. STOP it, it is racist.

Reply to this post

Response to Coyotl (Reply #6)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:22 PM

22. No middle class or working class person regardless of ethnicity should have voted for Romney...

Reply to this post

Response to Coyotl (Reply #6)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:50 PM

29. I don't think it's racist to merely cite exit polls. Is it also racist to point out that

96% of blacks voted for President Obama? It is what it is and there is no reason why we can't talk about it.

Reply to this post

Response to totodeinhere (Reply #29)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 09:34 AM

38. nothing wrong with discussing the facts

something very wrong with saying there is something wrong with a particular race because of the way they voted.

OP is one example of this racist analysis, Bill O'Reilly is another example:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1251231849

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:44 PM

7. I think it proves that there are still

a hell of a lot of white people who can't stand the fact that there is a black man in the White House. (ha ha)

A super-intelligent, educated one to boot.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:46 PM

8. I'm white as snow

and I would have rather ate sawdust then to vote for Romney. Oh, I'm male also.

Reply to this post

Response to damnedifIknow (Reply #8)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:23 PM

23. You are part of the 40% who didn't fall for the race-baiting BS the GOP was selling...

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:47 PM

9. In my family, Obama won the white vote 2-0 n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:48 PM

10. I don't know where the author came up with this

Vermont is the 2nd whitest state in the US and Pres Obama won handily.

Maine has got to be among the whitest states in the US and Pres Obama won handily.

Yet neither of them is mention in the list of states that Romney would have won if only white people voted.

I'm white and I sure as hell voted for Pres Obama.

Furthermore, I live in the red armpit of midcoast Maine, so red it used to be the GOP county headquarters and so red that they moved their rally from their new headquarters to my village. But I actually saw Obama signs in as many yards as Romney signs (unlike 4 years ago when McCain outnumbered Obama signs here).

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:48 PM

11. All the white folks in my family voted for Obama.

Well, not quite. I've got a couple of teabagger cousins.......

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:51 PM

12. This old white man didn't vote for Romney and I think those statistics are bull for many areas

My little town of 17,000 in north Jersey is almost all white and Obama won by 1,500 votes, a landslide in my town. Menendez also won for Senate in my town by similar numbers and we elected a Democratic councilman who is Asian-American. That was typical of what happened all over my county (Bergen) and I am pretty certain it happened all over the states that Obama won.

I'd like to see stats on exactly where this division took place before condemning white voters across the board.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:52 PM

13. the numbers are interesting, but the framing is stupid

and the theories about "old white men" are trite. Unless it's is a parody of RWers lamenting "demographics".

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:52 PM

14. I'm a white male from Alabama.

I am 29 so that may have something to do with it. But my white father (DUer) is 60 and voted O in bama. It is the fact that they (we i guess) are losing power. The country no longer looks like Mad Men and that scares more people than it angers...at least thats what I think.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:53 PM

15. The way to break the white bloc vote is to talk about class

Having lost twice to the Rainbow, white voters are probably going to begin to think that they no longer have anything to gain by racial tribalism.

The way to get them to move past that now, and this is a moment when they will begin to reconsider assumptions(at least younger whites), is to give them a stake in being part of the Rainbow. You do that by pushing even harder on economic inequality and by reminding them that poverty and unemployment are happening to them, not just "the other".

We can make that appeal now...working-class whites can now be persuaded that they have a reason to ally themselves with the Rainbow AND with the Global Majority.

Just find the right words, and we can make it happen.

Reply to this post

Response to Ken Burch (Reply #15)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:28 PM

24. I agree...

And the future looks bright, since the stats suggest President Obama won the under 40 white vote. I look forward to the day when White progressives are NOT the minority in their ethnic group.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:54 PM

16. All us white people voted for Obama, three times

2008 primary and general and of course, yesterday. That includes my old white husband and my young white son as well as my sister and myself. However, you have to figure, Republicans are about half of the electorate and they're pretty much ALL white. So, there you go.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:57 PM

17. I think beyond racism

... is the moral quotient that must be factored into the white vote. Many are religious zealots who believe inherently that Democrats are immoral because of their support of gay marriage, freedom of a woman to choose, and other such stuff. The zealotry thus leads them to be afraid of the left because they would be voting against their very souls and their "salvation".

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 05:34 PM

18. Look, it's not about Obama per se

In 2008, after 8 years of Bush and with McCain acting like he was a bit senile you had things like Racists for Obama. For real. So, what happened? The percentage of the white vote that went for him ticked up a percentage point

Since 1972, white men have voted roughly 60-40 percent in favor of the Republican Party in presidential elections. The exception was 1976, when Democratic Southerner Jimmy Carter attracted 48 percent of the white male vote. Then, in 2008, Obama surpassed the numbers of Bill Clinton, Al Gore and John Kerry to win 41 percent of the white male vote nationally. But by 2010, white male support had shrunk back to 37 percent — a precarious landing spot for the president.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0912/81675.html#ixzz2BZwNavpg

All that happened here was a return to normal percentages. The good news is that the total percentage of whites is shrinking enough to give a coalition of other ethnic groups and the 40% of whites that tend to vote Democratic a real shot. And things just look to improve, demographically, from here.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 05:55 PM

19. Not my family. We all went Obama. Racism is stupid on all levels. Obama's the man we need right now.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:29 PM

25. The good news is that white people are becoming less of the majority every year

I'm white and thank God for nonwhite people.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:48 PM

27. I think the GOP is in deep shit. The US isn't going to become more white. n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:49 PM

28. and if my Aunt had balls....

she would be my Uncle.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 02:33 AM

30. White people aren't the deciding factor anymore. And that's a great thing.

So they're going to have to live with it. If only they'd been nicer to minorities when they were still minorities. Karma is gonna be a bitch.

Reply to this post

Response to Zoeisright (Reply #30)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 05:06 AM

33. Yeah, you are right, Zoe!

Reply to this post

Response to Zoeisright (Reply #30)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 02:22 PM

41. I hear what you're saying but we are not there yet. Whites remain a majority

and probably will for another 30 years. And about 72% of the electorate in Tuesday's election was white. It's only because blacks and Hispanics voted in such a high percentage for President Obama that they made the difference. If 70% of whites had voted for Romney just like 70% of Hispanics voted for Obama then Romney would have won.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 04:46 AM

31. I noticed he didn't mention Vermont. Hmm. Wonder why.

Vermont is the whitest state in the country. It went overwhelmingly for Obama- again. 65%.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 05:05 AM

32. this is reminding me to ask.. I wonder how

the Military Voted? Somebody sure the heck Voted for Obama! Popular Vote baby! All those Women, Blacks, Hispanics, Asians.. So Smart! We owe them our deep gratitude!

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 08:44 AM

34. Isn't labeling it Old white people wrong. 40% of whites voted for Obama so....

How do we get the other 60%?

In the 60% white for Romney how many were:
1. Mormon
2. What religion
3. what economic class
4. what employment-maybe somewhere they destroyed a union
5. what are the numbers of who they are other wise we are guessing.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 08:47 AM

35. Glad I live in CT.

But honestly, the younger generations do not seem to have the same discriminatory ideas of their older relatives so I think over time the numbers will change.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 11:02 AM

40. Take your 'new GOP' skin color warz and shove it where the sun doesn't shine!

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 02:25 PM

42. Poppy Bush won it by the same amount in 1988, and won the country in a landslide

Now, Romney can't even get a victory because the nation's demographics have changed so much.

The GOP can no longer win on white votes alone, and it's only going to get harder for them from here on.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 06:31 PM

46. If you look at white voters ages 18-29 exclusively

Obama would have won a lot more states than the one you mentioned.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 11:51 AM

50. I'm an old white man, and I don't give a shit.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as "white people", just "people". And that is the deal here, a lot of us are done with that, just like we are done with having two classes of people based on gender, or two classes of people based on money, or two classes of people based on anything at all.

You walk into the room
With your pencil in your hand
You see somebody naked
And you say, “Who is that man?”
You try so hard
But you don’t understand
Just what you’ll say
When you get home

Because something is happening here
But you don’t know what it is
Do you, Mister Jones?

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 11:55 AM

51. 56% ----a majority----of Obama's voters were white:

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 12:23 PM

52. The Rasmussen Poll

only works before an election not after an election. I say this to say it did not matter that he increased his white vote, it still was a losing strategy.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread