HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » About Karl Rove, a chat f...

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 03:03 PM

About Karl Rove, a chat from a colleague...

Last edited Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:51 PM - Edit history (1)

FWIW, I rarely trust or take seriously hearsay through 2nd, 3rd, or 4th ... source, but this one is from a pretty knowledgeable colleague who is well connected to the Republican Party, including close tie to Bush 41 (not Bush 43).

He said Rove stakes his reputation and his credibility with his money backers on delivering Ohio, as he considers himself the expert of OH who knows how to get out the white evangelical votes. This was from the very beginning of the deal when he founded his super PAC.

He'll have quite an explanation job to do. Perhaps this can explain his melt down?

-- thank you for your interesting analyses and responses below---

Additional note: let me pretend to be a journalist here and make a disclosure that I was not the direct recipient of the info, but happened to be at a business lunch table hearing people talking to each other. Another gossip: Rove did not go out his way to help McCain and vice versa, McCain did not embrace Rove because of Rove's tactics against him during 2000 primary. Rove claimed that McCain even with Palin didn't know enough to get OH. But he could.

26 replies, 2094 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 26 replies Author Time Post
Reply About Karl Rove, a chat from a colleague... (Original post)
JackN415 Nov 2012 OP
SubgeniusHasSlack Nov 2012 #1
formercia Nov 2012 #3
The Velveteen Ocelot Nov 2012 #5
Squinch Nov 2012 #8
ProudProgressiveNow Nov 2012 #17
Frances Nov 2012 #2
justiceischeap Nov 2012 #4
JackN415 Nov 2012 #23
justiceischeap Nov 2012 #24
Mayberry Machiavelli Nov 2012 #6
nobunnyclue Nov 2012 #10
Cosmocat Nov 2012 #13
Maeve Nov 2012 #25
Cosmocat Nov 2012 #26
UCmeNdc Nov 2012 #14
Firebirds01 Nov 2012 #15
ProudProgressiveNow Nov 2012 #19
yellowcanine Nov 2012 #21
riverwalker Nov 2012 #7
Cha Nov 2012 #9
JackN415 Nov 2012 #22
eShirl Nov 2012 #11
UCmeNdc Nov 2012 #12
libdem4life Nov 2012 #16
yellowcanine Nov 2012 #18
ProudProgressiveNow Nov 2012 #20

Response to JackN415 (Original post)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 03:05 PM

1. hamrove has a swimming date

with cement shoes supplied by his backers.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to SubgeniusHasSlack (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 03:10 PM

3. Especially if he can't account for where all the Money went.

He may have just stolen more Chain than he can swim with,

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 03:11 PM

5. He sleeps wit' da fishes, and maybe Jimmy Hoffa...

Reply to this post

8. Take the gun, leave the cannoli.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:02 PM

17. +1000 nt

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 03:08 PM

2. Maybe Karl Rove

did not talk with the woman who told me she stood in line in the cold for 3.5 hours to vote for Obama on Sunday.

The Republicans thought that Obama supporters would not be so determined to vote in spite of all of the obstacles the Republicans had created.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 03:10 PM

4. Does Rove not know that Evangelicals don't really care for Mormons?

I think if they'd run a different candidate, there's a chance that the hatred from the right could have won out last night. Mittens just wasn't a good candidate.

Reply to this post

Response to justiceischeap (Reply #4)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 05:05 PM

23. You mean someone like Bush?

so, the fact that Bush got something like 1/2 million more votes in OH from 2000 to 2004 was due to his conservative appeal?

Reply to this post

Response to JackN415 (Reply #23)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 06:56 AM

24. I think that's part of it

I also think Bush is/was a guy you want to have a beer with. I think it was easy for some conservatives to look at Bush and think, "I could be that guy." I think he was seen as a good "evangelical." Even though he's a millionaire he didn't come across that way. And his lies, I'm guessing, though just as bad as Romney's, I'm guessing the folks in Ohio saw them as a lie for the good of the country and not to win an election.

All said, I'm not saying he was a good guy or even a good President but he was far and away a better candidate than Romney.

Reply to this post

6. Thing is, this is the guy's business. He knew the remaining vote coming from Cleveland area meant

no chance for Romney. I'm sure he knew that better than you or me.

A little earlier in the night he spun a nice line of bullshit about how Obama started the night with a 10 point lead from early voting with a third of the vote in, then was down to 3 point lead with 2/3 in, implying that at that rate Romney would have no problem overtaking Obama and winning Ohio. Very convincing to the unsophisticated. It even made me a little nervous until I thought about where the remaining vote was coming from.

But it totally neglected where the last third of the vote was coming from, so he was being straight up deceptive but just trying to keep up the happy talk.

I'm sure Rove and Romney would have liked nothing better for Ohio to have gone into recount/provisional ballot "no final count for 10 more days" hell with lawsuits, maybe even Supreme Court involvement, Brooks Brothers Riots, media circus of "no one knows who won Ohio" and to somehow have 80 thousand votes discovered mysteriously during the chaos. I'd be willing to bet that his little stunt on Fox was designed to stall to try desperately to get into that territory somehow.

I'm so fucking glad that the margin was such that that couldn't even happen there, and that the Western path to 270 came in during that sideshow to render the issue moot, along with Virginia.

Reply to this post

Response to Mayberry Machiavelli (Reply #6)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 03:15 PM

10. Same thing I was thinking - NT

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 03:22 PM

13. They don't count early votes like that ...

1) I saw this initial rant, too, and he either does not know WTF he is talking about or was just pulling crape out of his butt. They don't just start counting the early vote like he made it out. All of the early voting, absentee ballots or otherwise, are compiled at the precinct that people live in. It isn't like all the early votes go to some central place and are counted earlier in the day. They get mixed in with election day ballots and counted at the end of the day with the rest of the votes. It isn't like the early returns were all of the early votes.

2) Agreed, there was a BIG disconnect with his analysis of what precincts were not in yet and what MSNBC and even cnn were saying. The other two channels were pretty clear it was strong dem areas, he was spinning it was somehow going to be more favorable to Romney. And, he kept changing his numbers when he was babbling about where the numbers were from earlier in the day to that point.

Reply to this post

Response to Cosmocat (Reply #13)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 07:40 AM

25. Actually, in Ohio the early vote is centralized in the county, not the precinct

Our early and absentee-by-mail votes would be counted by the county and could have been the first ones reported. The precinct can only tell you how many votes were cast election day.

Reply to this post

Response to Maeve (Reply #25)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 08:11 AM

26. Not how we do it in Pa

but I thought it was possible might be done differently elsewhere.

Still not sure they release the results without fully collecting them, but it is possible.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 03:23 PM

14. Agree, there was something going on there......

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 03:32 PM

15. In the video of his "explanation"

He kept talking about the vote in Hamilton County, Cincinnati, Cincinnati Suburbs, Butler and Warren County. Now if you're not from Ohio you would think that is a whole bunch of different places. Well, Cincinnati is in Hamilton County and the suburbs are in Warren and Butler. So he was trying to make two places sound like 5 or 6.

If you add up the total of all three of those counties (not just the republican areas but the whole thing) it equals 1.5 mill people. Cuyahoga county alone is 1.3 mill. That's when I knew it was over and he was full of it. If you arent familiar with it you may think Romney had a fighting chance. Rove was holding out for some sort of ' well too close to call, lets do a month long process' like you said. He thought he could shut the whole thing down. It went forward.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:05 PM

21. They were playing the same game with Florida and Virginia.

Damn sweet that they were not only wrong about Ohio but also FL and VA.

Reply to this post

7. I love this inside stuff

hee hee
Karl's gonna wake up with a severed horse head in his bed, it'll match his ass.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 03:13 PM

9. Thanks JackN.. some on DU were speculating much the very same

thing on DU last night.

Reply to this post

Response to Cha (Reply #9)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:44 PM

22. Thanks. I didn't know. I was napping quite well :D and saw Obama hit 270 when woke up...

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 03:16 PM

11. Turd Blossom really laid a stinky, sulphrous egg, in other words.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 03:22 PM

12. He sure conned those rich guys out of their money

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:01 PM

16. The RWCF had two conundrums...Mormon and African-American...religion and race.

It definitely cost the Republicans votes...not for Obama by any means, but staying home non-voting. Rove, not being "one of them", did not properly assess the impact of both issues.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:03 PM

18. If Fox News had any principles they would fire his ass.

That was disgraceful.

Reply to this post

Response to yellowcanine (Reply #18)

Wed Nov 7, 2012, 04:04 PM

20. +1000 nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread