Karl Rove is the co-founder and senior advisor to American Crossroads, a multi-faceted organization that has raised massive amounts of money in order to get Mitt Romney elected to the presidency.
- In 2012, American Crossroads' Super PAC raised $80 million.
- Using money rolled over from a previous cycle, American Crossroads Super PAC spent $100 million this election cycle.
- American Crossroads Super PAC spent more than 84% of that — $84.6 million to be precise — in independent expenditures against Barack Obama.
- They also spent $6.5 million bolstering Mitt Romney
- The affiliated 501(c) spent $70 million on the election, much of that in support of Mitt Romney's presidential bid.
In the end, Rove spent between $90 million and $160 million of other people's money on Mitt Romney. That investment did not pay off.
Some donors spent multi-millions with the belief that Rove and Romney would deliver victory, the highest donor giving $19.5 million.