HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Numerous MSM like CNN rep...

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 07:58 PM

Numerous MSM like CNN reported on “Undocumented immigrants line up for relief from deportation”

See http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/15/us/immigration-deferred-deportation/index.html

US Dept. of Homeland Security’s site for “Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Process” at
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=f2ef2f19470f7310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=f2ef2f19470f7310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD gives guidance.

Which of President Obama’s executive orders signed in June 2012 approved the above process? see “Disposition of Executive orders signed by President Barack Obama:” at http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/executive-orders/obama.html since none of the official records appear to cover the topic. See list from May through July 2012 at the end.

Any ideas?

Executive Order 13608
Prohibiting Certain Transactions With and Suspending Entry Into the United States of Foreign Sanctions Evaders With Respect to Iran and Syria
• Signed: May 1, 2012
Executive Order 13609
Promoting International Regulatory Cooperation
• Signed: May 1, 2012
Executive Order 13610
Identifying and Reducing Regulatory Burdens
• Signed: May 10, 2012
Executive Order 13611
Blocking Property of Persons Threatening the Peace, Security, or Stability of Yemen
• Signed: May 16, 2012
Executive Order 13612
Providing an Order of Succession Within the Department of Agriculture
• Signed: May 21, 2012
Executive Order 13613
Providing an Order of Succession Within the Department of Commerce
Executive Order 13614
Providing an Order of Succession Within the Environmental Protection Agency
Executive Order 13615
Providing an Order of Succession Within the Office of Management and Budget
Executive Order 13616
Accelerating Broadband Infrastructure Deployment
• Signed: June 14, 2012
Executive Order 13617
Blocking Property of the Government of the Russian Federation Relating to the Disposition of Highly Enriched Uranium Extracted From Nuclear Weapons
• Signed: June 25, 2012

Executive Order 13618
Assignment of National Security and Emergency Preparedness Communications Functions
• Signed: July 6, 2012
Executive Order 13619
Blocking Property of Persons Threatening the Peace, Security, or Stability of Burma
• Signed: July 11, 2012
Executive Order 13620
Taking Additional Steps to Address the National Emergency With Respect to Somalia
• Signed: July 20, 2012
Executive Order 13621
White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for African Americans
• Signed: July 26, 2012
Executive Order 13622
Authorizing Additional Sanctions With Respect to Iran
• Signed: July 30, 2012

14 replies, 1486 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply Numerous MSM like CNN reported on “Undocumented immigrants line up for relief from deportation” (Original post)
jody Oct 2012 OP
Cali_Democrat Oct 2012 #1
pipoman Oct 2012 #2
WilmywoodNCparalegal Oct 2012 #3
toby jo Oct 2012 #5
pipoman Oct 2012 #8
toby jo Oct 2012 #9
pipoman Oct 2012 #10
pipoman Oct 2012 #12
MineralMan Oct 2012 #14
pipoman Oct 2012 #7
treestar Oct 2012 #11
lunamagica Oct 2012 #6
ProudProgressiveNow Oct 2012 #4
jody Oct 2012 #13

Response to jody (Original post)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:02 PM

1. This is wonderful news

and it makes bigots angry which is another bonus.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:06 PM

2. It's time for amnesty for any parent of a

child born in the US...better yet, amnesty for any immigrant who is not in our NCIC database as a criminal or fugitive beyond illegal entry into the US.

Reply to this post

Response to pipoman (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:22 PM

3. As an immigrant myself, I disagree

let me ask you... say you are seeking to enter the U.S. legally. Say you are doing all the paperwork, waiting for your turn (months and years, at times decades), paying your hefty fees and so on. Then, one day, you see that amnesty is granted to anyone who didn't do as you did, who simply entered without inspection and stayed. How would you feel? Wouldn't you feel a bit slighted? What's the point of following immigration law when you can simply cross the border, bide your time and then benefit from amnesty?

I'm not saying we should throw everyone out. My solution would be to implement a system of adjusting to permanent residence to all those who entered without inspection or overstayed their visas, which would include paperwork and filing fees with strict requirements (such as having filed tax returns - an obligation for anyone in the U.S. who wants to get a green card, by the way - and a clean background, no outstanding child support and evidence of not having sought government assistance - another requirement for those who want to get a green card). We simply cannot afford to have open borders. No other civilized nation has open borders. Every nation has an immigration policy which favors those who possess specialized knowledge or extraordinary ability much in the same way that the U.S. has. In many ways, U.S. immigration laws are actually less strict than those of many other countries.

I waited over a decade for a green card, despite entering the U.S. as a dependent of an E-1 visa holder. It must have cost my father's employer (which paid these fees, thankfully) well over $50,000 to do all the work necessary so that my family would get visas, extensions and green cards.

However, I think what the President did with regards to those who were minors when brought to the U.S. without any immigration status - the deferred action - was the right thing to do. But that is not an amnesty or an immigration status. It is simply a reprieve.

Reply to this post

Response to WilmywoodNCparalegal (Reply #3)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:44 PM

5. Couldn't agree more, Wilmy

There's nothing wrong with having a standard and expecting people to hold to it.

Policies like amnesty show a lack of character - oh gosh, there's so many cheaters around, let's just quit.
What kind of people do they expect to attract with policies like this? The winners?

Reply to this post

Response to toby jo (Reply #5)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 09:42 PM

8. People in need...despirate...humans...EOM

Reply to this post

Response to pipoman (Reply #8)

Response to toby jo (Reply #9)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:34 PM

10. Sure you're on the right board?

we're not talking about fetuses, we're talking about living, breathing humans.

Who's talking about, "saving every single last soul"? There is a place where people who appreciate every opportunity to kick those who are most needy, and it isn't usually anywhere on this side of the isle.

Who said anything about a "porous border"? Were talking about people who are already here. The argument that immigration steals jobs and taxes from the good 'mericans also has a home somewhere east of here..

"Fight their own fight", LOLOLOL Yeah, right. Your government provides the Mexican corruptness with weapons and man power. The Mexican people scarcely have running water..are prohibited from owning even rudimentary weapons...the Mexican people along with plenty of other brown people around the world are actually repressed by US policy. And you sir won't be here long with filth like this, "Fix your home turf, quit shitting on mine.". Dumb people often fear competition from others..paranoid people imagine boogie men where none exist.

"Poor babies my ass. Poor little things, they shouldn't have to experience difficulty. Why, my forefathers didn't. They fucking mooched. Like hell they did. They fought, they suffered, they did it the right way. They had balls and I'm proud of them."

More profanity...you have suffered nothing in comparison to most of these people. What would you do to help insure a better life for your own brats? Grandiose imaginings of dead relatives is human nature...I'm sure they were heros in your mind..your people were job stealing trash according to the ignorant when they came here..

Reply to this post

Response to toby jo (Reply #9)

Thu Oct 25, 2012, 09:32 AM

12. It is incredible to me the level of ignorance

of their own history espoused by some here. Most white people in the US were proceeded by ancestors from Germany, Poland, Russia, Ireland, etc. ALL, without exception, were considered scum who should go back to where they came from, by the stupid people whose family came a generation or two earlier.

It is also shocking to me how many on this "liberal" board condone such vitriolic screeds through their silence when others proclaim such overtly bigoted idiotic filth here.

BTW..I posted a thread in Meta based on this..

Reply to this post

Response to toby jo (Reply #5)

Thu Oct 25, 2012, 07:54 PM

14. Ya know, here's the deal:

Some guy living Mexico or Guatemala or Honduras gets tired of seeing his wife and kids go hungry all the time. He can't get work where he is. But there's work in El Norte, and he know guys who have gone there, found work and are sending money back to feed their families. So, what does this guy do, do you think?

That's the reality. Cheaters? No, not really. They're people who are trying to survive. They come here, they mow people's lawns or do some other work that Americans don't care to do, and they send giros to their home town. Their family eats. If things go well enough, they pay to get their families across the border, too.

Would you do anything different? I wouldn't. I'd do whatever it took to feed, house, and clothe my family.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 09:28 PM

7. No, I wouldn't feel slighted,

I would feel that many of these people acted on a higher level of desperation than I. Most came here out of despiration and would rather live in Mexico or where ever if it weren't for corruption and governement repression...they are looking for hope..I can't and won't advocate for anything less than what is right from a humanitarian standpoint, they are refugees.

Further the possibility of deportation or imprisonment of undocumented immegrants is simply not even realistic. It is time for these people to be legitimized so they do come out of the dark corners of society and start paying taxes and becoming ligitamate.

Every single person here got here somehow. Some roads were difficult, some weren't. Either way they paid their dues to society and all should be grateful for the opportunity...I doubt my life could have been better in any other country...for most of these people, they can't imagine a worse life in any other place than where they came from..sad, but true..

I don't disagree with making it costly to become legal, just not so many restrictions and so costly that we end up with only 10% willing or able to make the cut.

Who in Mexico has the means to pay $50k. You were very fortunate. Most aren't so fortunate. Do you really begrudge these people a chance?

Forgiveness, compassion and hope are very liberal concepts.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 25, 2012, 08:41 AM

11. The few who are lucky enough to come legally

of course will wait for that - it's better than the uncertainty.

The rules are too restrictive and so people with no hope to come legally come illegally. If they get amnesty, the lucky ones who never had to deal with the uncertainty or hopelessness and who probably aren't poor, don't get a whole lot of sympathy from me anywhere.

If you weren't the daughter of someone worth that much to his employer, you wouldn't have had the chance to come legally. Tell that to the many desperate fruit pickers who come to the US because there is nothing in Mexico. And send money home from a much lower paid, unprotected labor. They are not expected to feel bad are they?

We can grant amnesty as an admission we had bad laws without having to apologize to those who were able to get here legally before.

Reply to this post

Response to pipoman (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:57 PM

6. I'm with you all the way, pipoman!!! eom

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 08:27 PM

4. The Dream Act was....

SO damn close. A republican filibuster stopped it of course.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 25, 2012, 12:29 PM

13. FOUND ANSWER: President Obama did not sign "executive order" but took "executive action".

MSM erroneously reported "executive order" with all its formal legal trappings when it was apparently some type of presidential administrative order.

Executive orders typically begin with an assertion of authority such as "By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, . . . ."

"Seeking to overturn Obama executive action on immigration"
http://blog.pe.com/multicultural-beat/2012/07/20/seeking-to-overturn-obama-executive-order-on-immigration/
A reader correctly pointed out that the Obama administration’s action described below is not an “executive order.”

The correct term is “executive action” or “policy directive.”

I have also notified the Associated Press, which uses “executive order” in some of its stories on this policy change.

Longtime Inland anti-illegal-immigration activist Raymond Herrera is helping spearhead local support for a bill that would in effect overturn President Barack Obama’s June 15 executive action that grants temporary legal residency – and in many cases work permits — to hundreds of thousands of young undocumented immigrants.

The executive action covers those 30 and under who arrived in the United States before age 16, have lived continuously in this country for at least five years and are either in school or possess a high school diploma or GED. Current and former members of the military are also eligible. Certain other conditions apply.

Herrera, president of the anti-illegal-immigration We the People, California’s Crusader, and six others held “Stop Illegal Immigration” and “Stop Obama” signs near the Redlands office of U.S. Rep. Jerry Lewis (R-Redlands) last week. They are urging him to sponsor the Hinder the Administration’s Legalization Temptation (HALT) Act. Gary Miller, R-Diamond Bar, who represents part of San Bernardino County, is one of the cosponsors.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread